Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me please! Very important jacket decision....

Poster: A snowHead
Have you checked out SOS ski jackets?
I have one with flowers on and its just lovely, not sure what their range is like this season?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cathy,

Quote:

I should just say here that my level of skiing does not at all warrant a high-end technical jacket.

That's the sort of comment best not to make too much noise about BMF_Skier might see it, then where would I be? Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I say treat yourself! If you have one that you really like, buy it or you'll just regret it. I blew about £300 on a Tsunami jacket last season and it's just lovely - and it'll have to last me a few years!

I agree that ski jacket sizing's weird, it's a 12 and fits me perfectly with enough room for some layers, but others are tight across the shoulders.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If you have one that you really like, buy it

I agree - given that you don't really need a new one at all, what's the point of buying one that will just "do". snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh, much against my better judgement wink , I'm persuaded! And the green one had a very large collar that if you didn't zip right up (which is very constrictive) just flapped open practically to the shoulders.

I think I'll put my Kjus jacket on ebay this weekend - the OH is under strict orders to take the best photos possible Very Happy That'll hopefully make me feel better Toofy Grin

I just couldn't believe the lack of choice around. Kick out all the red jackets, those with diamantes, fancy stitching, belts & furry bits, possibly include black jackets (although I'd be lady in black then!) & there were very few left to choose from. The OH tried on this one Shocked Shocked

(not to buy though!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I just couldn't believe the lack of choice around

Just so. Not been seriously tempted for a while, though I did see a very nice black Degré 7 one in France. Beautifully soft and a nice shape. But far too expensive. Amazing how many expensive and technically perfectly OK offerings have all the diamante, belts, fur etc. And a jacket where the collar is wrong is definitely not a good idea; seriously irritating.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, give yourself a slap girl. You look lush in that red jacket snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

I'm not sure she wants to look like a lush Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Picadilly wrote:
I agree that ski jacket sizing's weird, it's a 12 and fits me perfectly with enough room for some layers, but others are tight across the shoulders.

Completely agree. I don't NEED a new jacket, but for reasons best known to a phsychiatrist, have spent hours trying on every jacket in TK Maxx, which is the only local source of any size, trying to find one which fits, is flattering (very important), isn't red, doesn't have a floppy collar, furriness, sparkly bits, or a stupid pointless belt. I even, in a deranged moment of low self-esteem, looked in the men's department for an extra small (I'm 5 ft) - needless to say, nothing that didn't make me look like a small deranged cross-dresser with low self-esteem. Why is it so difficult? Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney wrote:

Although I may often end up looking like that wink

Frosty the Snowman - you're my favourite! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin I think having helmet, goggles & face mask helps though wink

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anniepen, Laughing Laughing Laughing
cathy, he's right though; it looks terrific. But if you're bored, you're bored. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So gals, if our wives look alright and there's nothing wrong with them but we are just a bit bored is it alright to pick up something else with a different hair colour? Toofy Grin Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lush 1 (lsh)
adj. lush·er, lush·est
a. Having or characterized by luxuriant vegetation.
b. Abundant; plentiful. See Synonyms at profuse.
c. Extremely productive; thriving.
a. Luxurious; opulent: the lush décor of a grand hotel.
b. Extremely pleasing to the senses: a lush scent; lush fruit; the lush sounds of an orchestra.
c. Voluptuous or sensual.
3. Overelaborate or extravagant: lush rhetoric.

Take yer pick Laughing

(got to be 2b or 2c though wink )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy, Green - looks nicer than the red or the blue.
snow conditions
I claim my £50 - stoatsbrother, is a girl Shocked
ski holidays
Ooo-er! More likely 1a, unless the OH has been nagging wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cathy, Shocked Shocked TMI Very Happy
latest report
stoatsbrother, bear in mind I won't actually look her flying down the slopes! But I think that's the one vote then for the green, above the blue. Still has a nasty front bit of the collar though
ski holidays
http://www.activetribe.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=21&products_id=902

Arc'teryx sidewinder, minimal pockets, minimal insulation, minimal weight, four tasteful colours (three of them edible), £400, sorted Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Yoda, good choice. I just got a nice GREEN (dark) one for men, but at a massive discount cos it was last year's.
snow conditions
cathy, I've said it before and I'll say it again - you do look so lithe in those fitted jackets - wish I could do them justice and get them done up round my hips Embarassed
snow report
Yoda, no, don't like the design of that one (at least from the picture!) - and its in the 4s not the 2s - big psychological difference!

Megamum - aw thanks, but you must be looking pretty goddamn good now heh? The last picture I saw of you you looked great! I'm not feeling very 'lithe' at the moment - people at work are asking if I'm OK cos I'm hobbling round after a harsh gym session on Monday! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I prefer the North Face little number.... a little more individual and less common colour
snow conditions
cathy, what's design got to do with it? It's an Arc'teryx - worth several gnarls in the dude stakes before you even step into your bindings Laughing
ski holidays
I did look at those links, but it didn't give me enough details.

basically don't buy any jacket, even if its $5 if it doesn't have a good waterproof and breathe ability rating. Both those jackets claimed it, but didn't put up numbers.

at those prices, check out anything made with the gore-tex PRO fabric, fantastic !!!

I have an Arcteryx Stinger jacket and love it, North Face make a great one, called Free Thinker.

You said you only do 3 weeks a year, so its up to you, but warmth, dryness and comfort will make or break your holiday (those jackets have no insulation, so layer up)
ski holidays
Ooh - 2 for the green NF

Yoda, I do like the look of the Stingray jacket though (from the pictures) and S&R do it for £391 which is in the 3s, so practically the same as the Schoeffel Toofy Grin Unfortunately, once I do step into my bindings I'd be spotted for the totally un-gnarly fake I am.

wbsr, don't worry, both the jackets have good breathability/waterproofness rating, hopefully the latter isn't quite as important as it may be in Whistler wink I've tried them on in the shops & checked them out. I don't like padded/insulated jackets and was actually surprised at how many there seemed to be around this year. I prefer a shell with layers. I'm not a geat one for gore-tex - I do really like the Kjus jacket material and the Schoeffel is very similar in feel and elasticity.
snow report
cathy, buy a helmet cover and pocket the rest Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy,

What about this one? it's blue too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001DKL74E/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&img=MAIN&color_name=1&tag=amz07b-21

the colder it gets the better it will look but it doesn't appear to be very waterproof. Toofy Grin
snow report
If we're talking fantasy jackets Wink then this is mine
http://www.backcountry.com/store/NRA0022/Norr%F8na-Lofoten-Gore-Tex-Pro-Shell-Jacket-Womens.html
in blue atol or cub.
snow conditions
Lynseyf the Norrøna Lofoten jackets are really nice jackets. Does anybody have any experience of them? Arcetryx V Norrøna Lofoten?
ski holidays
DB, Laughing Laughing but then there's not very much there to get wet. I think my thermals and fleece would look lovely underneath Very Happy

lynseyf, looks nice!
latest report
lynseyf, cathy, With current exchange rates that might not be so pricey now.
snow report
Don't like the existing red one at all, would go with the green. However, I wear a black jacket with gaff tape over some holes in it so what would I know? Laughing
latest report
Right, that's it. Lizzard doesn't like it so I'm ditching the red!
ski holidays
cathy, ah yes, I am known as a fashion guru, me.
latest report
 brian
brian
cathy, how about a Mammut ? Swiss quality.

There are some bargains from last year further down this page ...

http://www.outdoorworks.de/likecms.php?site=index.html&dir=&nav=634&st=ma
latest report
brian, What a huge range of jackets from one manufacturer!!
ski holidays
cathy, hmm, I quite like the green cos it looks great with the white trousers but guess that a) you aren't looking to buy them too and b) silly colour I suppose Smile
So I'm going for the blue - I had a little Birthday Crying or Very sad last December and my pressie was Schoffel jacket & trousers. I am very pleased with them, yes they were much more than my old HH ones, but very comfortable etc etc in all conditions.
ski holidays
I hate it when brian posts a link to lots of quality gear at good prices Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy