Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI level 1 wtf????

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.basi.org.uk/module_info.aspx?mid=142

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE:This is the entry level course for students who wish to join the BASI Education System.
The qualification is for those wishing to find employment in a non mountain environment, i.e. Dry Slopes and Indoor Snowslopes. It is also the 1st stage of the BASI Instructor Level 2.

Huh?
Anyone know if it's the same level 1 for a mountain environment? The course lists zermatt in Nov, I've been to Zermatt many times, I'm no rocket scientist but to me Zermatt is either a huge building Truman show stylee or it is indeed a real mountain.

And a 1st aid certificate? Seems like a load of hassle to me.

Then level 2 is even more hassle, 500 quid, additional 35 hours teaching and a 3 yearly refresher course.
Plus BASI membership, seems like a big scam to me. Anyone done snowboard level 1?
Can't I just rock up with my gangsta steez and sign something Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stab wrote:
And a 1st aid certificate? Seems like a load of hassle to me.

You also have to do a Child Protection course before you can complete L1.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh god, is it worth doing the level1? I looked at the swiss one, ssbs.ch but besides being in German or french which doesnt help me it's also 1200 francs a course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stab, Do you want to be employed to teach boarding? Will you get work as a Level 1? In theory I think you need at least a Level 2 to be qualified, although some ski schools in Switzerland seem to employ people with lower, or no, qualifications that that. I don't think you can get anywhere in the BASI system without a reasonable level of commitment of time (and money, to a certain extent).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I could go teach snowboarding anytime I decided to, hardly anyone I know has qualifications on paper, I just wouldnt feel right doing it without the qualifications under my belt, would give me more confidence I suppose.
I accept it's money and time, the time is a problem as I only get 3 weeks in November free and 3 or 4 weeks in may free. The rest is working time. The Zermatt level 1 course is perfect timing for me but I dont know where I would get the 1st aid and kid protection courses done in switzerland.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stab, I did it last year at Tamworth. Much cheaper than going away but possibly at the expense of improving my riding a little more. Tricky to practice steeps there wink

I did hear that the CSIA entry level lets you teach beginners in the mountains on 'green or Blue slopes' - not sure if this is true though and it will be no cheaper.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stab, Stab, you can do 1st aid and CP in the UK no problem.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
confusingly the FAQ on the BASI website says this:
Quote:
Can I book onto the Level 1 and Level 2 Instructor course at the same time?

Answer: No. At the end of your Level 1 course, to obtain your Level 1 Qualification you will need to gain 35hrs of ski school experience, attend a First Aid course and the Child Protection Module.
Once you have obtained your Level 1 Qualification, you can then book onto your Level 2 Instructor course.

I take that as meaning you can do the course and then after that sort out all the other stuff, but then the qualification page says you must have the 1st aid and kid course 1st.
That website is so confusing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy wrote:
stab, Stab, you can do 1st aid and CP in the UK no problem.

I'm not in the UK though Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get involved, and make a small fortune, only thing is you will need to start with a large fortune.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stab, I see the problem.

Before doing the L2 you also have to do some shadowing hours (in fact, I think you have to do shadowing hours before they will issue the L1 licence if IIRC)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob, so far as I can make out there is zero money to be made teaching snowboarding unless you are uber qualified, which is the long term plan I guess. I can't fit ski boots to skis for the rest of my life Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
david@mediacopy, I think I'll email them and see what they suggest, and also tell them their website is shite. No mention anywhere so far as I can see about BASI membership costs.
Are there alternative qualifications from other places?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, L2 is hardly "uber qualified".

You can do the first aid course in Zermatt.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stab, Zero money would be a result, the cost of qualifying and sustaining yourself in the Alps will leave you out of pocket, and if you are really lucky and get lots of teaching hours you can also kiss good bye to your own riding.
Another small problem not many boarders have lessons passed beginner stage so even if you did get the higher and enormously expensive and time consuming advanced qualifications you would still end up on the bunny hill.
latest report
It is easy to get £50k by the end of the first year of snowboard instruction..... !!
start with £100K and do a BASI course Very Happy
snow report
stab, BASI level 1 used to be called The Trainee Instructor course until about a year ago when it became level 1.

BASI renamed it Level 1 so as to provide a BASI alternative to the ASSI indoor/dry slope qulaification in the UK. The Traniee Instructor was more of an assessment whereas the Level 1 course is assessed and you need to pass it.

in order to teach under this qualification ( and get the badge ! ) you will need

- to pass the course
- to have a first aid certificate from a course at least 2 days in duration
- to have attended a Child Protection seminar , any one not necessarily a BASI delivered one
- to have shadowed a qualified instructor for at least 35 hours

You will then be insured to teach in and enclosed ski area... so indoor, dry slopes or kiddies playground essentially

I believe that at present you can teach in Switzerland without any recognised qualifications provided the ski school director authorises you to do so.

More of the same for level 2... mainy teach at least another 35 hours and attend and pass the 2 week level 2 course
snow report
stab wrote:
Are there alternative qualifications from other places?

I've heard these guys run CSIA courses in the Swiss Alps but not sure if that includes boarding.

http://myswisstrip.ca/index.php

A second company were also running courses in Andorra.

Other than that not sure - Austrian maybe ?
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
stab, L2 is hardly "uber qualified".

You can do the first aid course in Zermatt.

Yeah I meant avalanche course and all the other extras whatever they may be, L2 seems to be basic imo.

Good news on the 1st aid in zermatt.
What is the child protection course? It does seem like a trip to the UK would be needed somewhere along the line.

carrosa is it possible to do the level 1 1st then sort out the 1st aid and kiddie course later?
latest report
stab, yep you can do them in any order you like... you get the badge when you've done them all
snow conditions
stab, I've been inferring/implying these things for years .

I would, respectfully. suggest that you desist. The alternative is being black-balled. There are of course many here who purport to education who have none ..... so HIT IT ! snowHead wink
ski holidays
ah the kiddie thing is the day after the course ends in zermatt, 3 hours and 35 quid, easy peasy. And it looks like BASP does the 1st aid the same day after the course as well. 130 quid though, slowly adds up all this doesnt it.
http://www.basi.org.uk/module_info.aspx?mid=138

Only thing I can't find out now is if the lift pass is included, somehow I doubt it.
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
stab, I've been inferring/implying these things for years .

I would, respectfully. suggest that you desist. The alternative is being black-balled. There are of course many here who purport to education who have none ..... so HIT IT ! snowHead wink

I'm a bit sick today so that doesnt really make a lot of sense to me at the moment. Laughing
snow conditions
quick google on black ball Laughing Yeah I fully expect all that to happen Smile
ski holidays
no lift pass included on any of the BASI courses that I've been on ...
latest report
carrosa wrote:
no lift pass included on any of the BASI courses that I've been on ...

Awesome, do you know if you're allowed to take a dump without paying BASI for it Laughing
snow conditions
stab,
Quote:

I could go teach snowboarding anytime I decided to, hardly anyone I know has qualifications on paper

Shocked Are these people you know teaching on an artificial slope or on a mountain and if so, is it in Switzerland?

No, the lift pass you have to pay for-that's one of the reason's to do the Level 1 in the UK in a Snowdome (if possible) because the course fee includes the slopetime and the parking(well it does at Tamworth anyway)

Quote:

Can I book onto the Level 1 and Level 2 Instructor course at the same time?

Answer: No. At the end of your Level 1 course, to obtain your Level 1 Qualification you will need to gain 35hrs of ski school experience, attend a First Aid course and the Child Protection Module.
Once you have obtained your Level 1 Qualification, you can then book onto your Level 2 Instructor course.

What they are saying is, you can complete the Level 1 course without having the Child Protection Module, First Aid course and the 35hrs ski school experience, but you will not get the Qualification of Level 1 i.e the "badge" until those bits are completed as well as passing the course. You can't book onto a Level 2 course until you already have the Level 1 Qualification i.e the "badge".

Quote:

What is the child protection course? It does seem like a trip to the UK would be needed somewhere along the line.

Re the Child Protection Module http://www.basi.org.uk/module_info.aspx?mid=138

Quote:
is it possible to do the level 1 1st then sort out the 1st aid and kiddie course later?

See what I've written above re the Level 1 course and the Level 1 Qualification.

Quote:

ah the kiddie thing is the day after the course ends in zermatt, 3 hours and 35 quid, easy peasy. And it looks like BASP does the 1st aid the same day after the course as well.

Unless the Child Protection Module is held for 3 hours in the evening, you won't be able to do it the same day (22nd Nov) as the BASP Emergency First Aid course. The 2 day course is all day 9-5 for 2 days, (well it has been when I've done it and a mate is doing it at Tamworth today and tomorrow) so unless the CP is in the evening you will have the do the CP or the First Aid another time. The First Aid course doesn't have to be the BASP one, they recommend it but as long as it is a First Aid course acceptable to BASI then it's accepted. My CP module was in the evening though mid week during my Level 1 course.

The CASI (Snowboard) Level 1, (not the same as CSIA which is the Canadian Ski qualifications), is apparently cheaper to do than the BASI Snowboard Level 1 if you can find someone that does that course instead although some folk say BASI is the best qualification to have if you want to teach in Europe than CASI, although BASI is more expensive. There are loads of threads on here discussing exactly this if you do a search for them.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Shocked Are these people you know teaching on an artificial slope or on a mountain and if so, is it in Switzerland?

No yes and yes.

Dont get me wrong though, it's not just any monkey who's teaching, they all get put on courses run by the ski school and obviously the advanced lesson guys are fully qualified up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab wrote:
Dont get me wrong though, it's not just any monkey who's teaching, they all get put on courses run by the ski school and obviously the advanced lesson guys are fully qualified up.

So beginner boarders get the least qualified instructors? Never been convinced that's the best way to introduce people to a new sport.
ski holidays
not really, as someone above said, advanced boarders dont really go for lessons anymore so an advanced class is quite rare. I dont know any bad snowboard teachers either, they are all good, some are insanely good.
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

So beginner boarders get the least qualified instructors? Never been convinced that's the best way to introduce people to a new sport.

You have a very valid point there and my recent fraught experience of learning to board demonstrates this. wink

At the dry slope I went to (simply because I had only just done my Level 1 Alpine and wondered) I enquired which Level 1 the boarder instructor had, thinking he was going to say BASI, Snowsports UK or CASI. He was a bit vague and said a lot of boarder instructors don't have any qualifications because there is a shortage of boarder instructors (apparently) so I took it that he had no qualifications. He was quite competent at showing me how to do the first couple of bits, then again I don't suppose there is a lot to explain with regards to toe and heel edge side slips mind you. There were few or no demos given (I had to prompt him and say "Give me a demo then") and when it came to the making turns part I just didn't get what he was saying at all. Flumoxed was an understatement-as per my comments on my Second Discipline thread Laughing Laughing .

After that I went to Tamworth and started over with a lady instructor there (who was at least BASI Level 1 Snowboard, although she possibly might have had CASI L1, either way she must have one or the other to work there. I forget which she said now although I didmake a point of asking her. The difference was amazing and after being "redone" I was making turns from the top within 2 hours. Simple.

It makes you wonder how many (I expect it would be quite a few ) who wouldn't have bothered endeavouring with it after experience 1, thinking that boarding just wasn't for them, and not getting to experience 2.
ski holidays
Quote:

dont know any bad snowboard teachers either, they are all good, some are insanely good.

stab, I do take your point there but thing is, it's difficult to say they're good unless you've personally been a beginner in their hands. They are probably really good boarders, yeah, but being a good boarder/skier and being a good board/ski teacher don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm not saying that because they haven't done qualifications as such they can't be a good teacher because they could be.

The guy I had teach me first time I believe was a highly skilled boarder-think he was one of those "park rats" Laughing but his explanations weren't what I expected to get and also no demos either. Had he done a BASI/CASI Level 1 course then he would have known that demos are really important because the student needs to see what it's meant to look like as well as having it explained.

Your everyday punter though would have probably been none the wiser, it was only because I'd done my Level 1 Alpine the week before that I noticed the difference.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 5-09-08 16:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, French snowboard instructors are pants on the whole - well those ones in red anyway Laughing
ski holidays
rayscoops,
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, French snowboard instructors are pants on the whole - well those ones in red anyway

And they surely will have a qualification too which makes it even worse!
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
stab, I do take your point there but thing is, it's difficult to say they're good unless you've personally been a beginner in their hands. They are probably really good boarders, yeah, but being a good boarder/skier and being a good board/ski teacher don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm not saying that because they haven't done qualifications as such they can't be a good teacher because they could be.

Laughing I guessd that would come up, I was being difficult to understand again Smile I meant they are all good, as in good teachers, then some are insanely good as in all the jumps and spins and what not.
As run DMC said, not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good. Smile clear as mud Laughing

agreed with the toe/heel falling leaf type teaching, anyone can teach anyone that, unless they really are not meant to snowboard in which case give them some skis and teach them a snowplough.
When I've taught in the past I'm always showing people their tracks on the piste to try and explain why they caught their edge, dunno if that's a good thing but it works for me and they seem to get it.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice on this thread everybody. I'm giving myself to the end of september to decide whether or not to book myself on the course.
ski holidays
stab, no it's ok I did understand you first time round, I just meant how do you know they're a good teacher unless you've been in the beginners boots with them personally I meant.

Anyway, yeah have a think about it like you say and decide from there. Personally I think it will give you much more scope of who will employ you i.e not just places in Switzerland or the odd one or two elsewhere if you're lucky if you do the BASI L1 course, also it means that you'll probably get paid more than the ones next to you who have no qualifications at all. A few hundred quid or so and you're sorted, believe me it's from Level 1 upwards that costs the money!

Good Luck.
snow report
 dt
dt
If you want to get a good grounding in teaching don't touch BASI with a barge pole. I did BASI 3 5 years ago (admmitedly for skiing) and have let it lapse. I now hold the austrian anwaerter and am halfway to my Landeslehrer (equivalent of the old BASI 2, god knows what it is now!). The Austrian progression is far clearer and easier to understand. It is also far easier to get work with an Austrian quali. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper- around 500 eur for a ten day course including lift pass. In my opinion the BASI system is heavily based on personal performance when, especially when teaching beginners, what instructors actually need is a solid understanding of the basics and an easy, logical way of teaching them. I know several instructors who are brilliant at teaching to three weeks experience who wouldn't pass BASI 1 but would do a better job of teaching a newbie than a BASI ISTD (and I've skied extensively with BASI ISTD's). In Austria ski instructing is a career, not some way of accrediting your ability and posing to your mates (which seems to me to be BASI's purpose). Whilst there are undoubtedly some exceptional BASI instructors about, as an accreditation system it is deeply flawed and very expensive. I'd head off to St Anton for their early december course if I were you! (www.snowsporttirol.at might be of some use).
ski holidays
dt, good to read someone else's viewpoint and experiences on this, also good to be encouraging stab to be doing a course in a system instead of no course at all. I must admit that it hadn't occured to me about the Austrian system being a possibility, I presumed that if you joined an Austrian ski school then they would train you within their system of course, but didn't know they did courses like the one you linked to for people here in the UK to go and do.
snow report
hahahahahahahahahahahaha /breaths hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah /falls on floor
http://www.peakleaders.com/instructor_courses/Zermatt/7

Sign me up for 2 Laughing
snow report
dt wrote:
I'd head off to St Anton for their early december course if I were you! (www.snowsporttirol.at might be of some use).

looks good but the dates don't work for me. early december is time to work again Sad 1100 euros for the course, accomadation and lift pass is decent though, and I can do this - fakie (rückwärts) fahren einer blauen Piste and I'm over 16 (just) Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy