Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on 1st board please, 2nd hand 151-151 ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I’m after a 2nd hand board but want some help or opinions

I’ve only got 2 weeks behind me so far, 1 week in Bansko and 1 in Les Gets, France. I picked things up pretty quickly and feel comfortable at speed and also with my turns etc, have also landed a few small jumps but not ventured into a park and aren’t really looking to. I normally stick to blue and red runs, probably 70% blue though

Looks like I’ll be heading away again in March, possibly to Banff but not 100% yet

I’m 5’9 , weigh 10 stone, and have size 9 feet (UK) In Bansko I used a 150 board, and in Les Gets I used a 155

At the moment I’ve been looking through ebay at boards from 151-155cm in length, does that sound about right, I’m used to hired equipment so not after anything amazing.

Also, can I expect much for a maximum spend of £100 or am I dreaming, seems possible but are the boards likely to be poo-poo?
Was then planning on getting some bindings, maybe flows, or that kind of clip in style, again probably 2nd hand.

How does that sound…. About right or have I really got no idea

Thanks for any help, and here’s a pic of me in Les Gets to make things a bit more colourful

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/2.jpg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ride a 151 at 5'6", so I'd say longer is better. Mr L is about your height/weight (bit taller) and his boards are 157/160

I have a 159 Salomon board for sale if you're interested - 100€ without bindings.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowscreen, I've bought two boards on ebay and they've both been corking

I paid £30 for a Stepchild Sick Freetsyle 159 that was used for two months by a guy out in NZ. It's been used and had a the odd dink in it around the edge from ice, plus it had a small PTEX base repair but for the money it cost me, after a good waxing, it runs like a dream and is my main board now.

I also got a 157 Elan Paragon from 2005 for £40, which was imaculate apart from a small chip in one end that I filled with Araldite. It's a brilliant board (plus it's day-glo orange:) ) and goes to show that if you stay away from some of the major brands then you can geta good deal./

By the way, Elan makes about 60% of the world's boards so are pretty damn good.

Great pic by the way Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll keep my eye on ebay for a while then

the 155 board I had in Les Gets felt good, i'm probably 5'8 - 5'9 and not the biggest frame so I didnt really want to go much anything over a 156
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowscreen, cool pic, i have 7 weeks and i still can;t jump that well ! I agree with the others, you don't really want to go much shorter than a 156
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
...i have 7 weeks and i still can't jump that well!...

It's landing them that scuppers me!! Smile

By the way snowscreen, I'm 6' 3" and 13st and my 157 and 159 run fine. Maybe not as fast in a straight line as my 166 (I know, i have too many boards) but they turn a hell of a lot quicker, which is great when you have bumpy, lump, mogul-infested runs later in the season
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can land the kickers (well most of them!) its just managing to do something with the bloody flailing arms Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DebbiDoesSnow, they're usually taken up with catching myself when i go headfirst into the snow!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The picture probably looks better than it was as a mate was laying on the ground with the camera wink

landing wasnt easy though, was hit and miss really. landed some and completely screwed up some others resulting in some very funny video footage
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
I can land the kickers (well most of them!)

Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kruisler, I'm saying nothing ... but I was going to say that Laughing anyway your rolling smiley has travelled too far Razz
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Evil or Very Mad just because you have seen a dodgy landing doesnt mean they all end up like that. There were circumstances behind that shot ..blah blah blah blah witter excuses
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What about a Burton Custom, 2nd hand, 2 seasons old, well known brand and the board has plenty of good reviews by the looks of things

Probably not going away till Feb/March so i've got a little bit of time to find the right board
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowscreen, size ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
155cm board
latest report
snowscreen, those older customs are very, very nice. Boarded with a guy last year and he had one and it really was a light, nippy board.
snow conditions
I'm 6 footish and ride a 156, its horses for courses, jibbing go short, free ride/ piste blasting go long. 159 is probably max for you and 151 min.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy