Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family from Bahamas looking for best and cheapest family resort in France!

Poster: A snowHead
I am taking my family (husband, 3 yr old and baby) skiing in March and none of them have seen snow before! I would love your opinion as to where we should go! We need somewhere which is good for families (alot of different activities, not just the snow), easy to get to (by train from Paris ideally), picturesque and cheap! We don't need the best skiing that is for sure! However, I am desperate to get my 3 yr old skiing now and to make skiing an annual vacation. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Courchevel 1850.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
caroline123, Welcome to Snowheads.

Ignore Whitegold, he listed probably the most expensive resort in France there.

Does it have to be France? Austria and Italy tend to be cheaper, both may still be accessible by train from Paris (depending on just where you go), and are more likely to be picturesque.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="caroline123"]picturesque and cheap! /quote]

Hi there,

French ski resorts, on the whole, are neither picturesque nor cheap. Switzerland isn't cheap but at least some of the resorts are easy on the eye. Italy (Dolomites) might also be a better choice. France is great for people who want to ski ski ski all day every day, but attractive resorts and low prices are as rare as hen's teeth.

If you're determined it has to be France, with easy access from Paris, I'd recommend a place called Valmorel. It's reasonably attractive (no high-rise buildings) and not the most fashionable place so therefore may be reasonable value for money. The skiing's very good, and they have a good ski-school. You can get there on the train from Paris via Moutiers.

By the way, I'm planning a sailing trip in the Bahamas (Abacos) next November. Any tips you can offer would be much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Mike. Maybe we will give France a miss. I don't mind where we go in Europe as long as it is relatively easy to get there. Italy would be good. I will have a look at Dolomites and I will look at Valmorel too in France. Abaco is a great place! Very beautiful. Ask for my husband Marcus' cousin who is the Dockmaster at Boat Harbour Marina in Marsh Harbour - Cecil Ingraham. It is essential in the Bahamas to have a hook up with someone as it is the only way to get anything done so don't forget to ask for Cecil if you get stuck with anything. He is well known on Abaco (Abaco is so small that everyone is well known who lives there!). There is good fishing around Abaco if you are interested. It is worthwhile sailing around some of the other islands too - particularly Elouthera and Exuma if possible - but avoid the capital, Nassau, as it is not nearly as beautiful as the other islands.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike, I just had a look at Dolomites and it looks great. Would you have any recommendations as to where we should stay? Thanks again for your help.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Caroline,

Have a look at a ski area called the Dolomiti Superski. This comprises a dozen small resorts, all linked by beautiful skiing. The website is http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en-US/ski-holidays-11EN.html I've not been there for many years, but any of the better hotels should be fine.

Alternatively, you can get the train from Paris into Switzerland - it's not far. For the best scenery in the world (and I'm not kidding) visit the Jungfrau Region (Wengen, Murren or Grindelwald). Switzerland has a superb rail service so you can get there very easily. More importantly there's lots to do apart from skiing.

Websites: Swiss rail: http://www.sbb.ch/en/
Jungfrau Region: http://www.jungfrauwinter.ch/pages/english/JWR/JWR_index.php
Wengen / Murren: www.wengen.ch

Thanks for the tips about Abaco - I think we'll fly directly to Marsh Harbour from MIA, so we'll avoid Nassau. Just need to charter a nice boat now. How willl the weather be in early November?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
caroline123, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead Have sent a PM
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would've thought the resorts in North America would be an easier/ cheaper experience?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I would've thought the resorts in North America would be an easier/ cheaper experience?

Fares to Colorado, Vermont etc are only a little less in cost than flying to Europe. We also spend heaps of time in the US as we need to go there regularly to shop so it is not that exciting to go there for vacation. I want my 3 yr old to know that there is a world beyond Macys, The Pancake House and Target!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
caroline123, if you like the look of the Dolomites, this is a nice, pretty and very traditional village ideal for beginners:

click to see larger size

This image was taken last week in Colfosco in the Alta Badia ski area. The region is South Tyrol and was part of Austria until WWI, now part of Italy, so an interesting blend of the two cultures with a third local Ladin mountain tradition thrown in too. Not sure how easy it will be for you to get there, Paris isn't an obvious gateway, more likely Milan, Venice or Munich. Beautiful villages in spectacular locations and loads of activities with good train connections and cheap are generally mutually exclusive. You may have to compromise on one aspect or another.

Colfosco hotel list:http://www.altabadia.it/en/hotels_colfosco_e.htm (not an exhaustive list)

Colfosco Ski School:http://www.scuolascicolfosco.it/start.php?page=home&lang=EN&preloading=close

No Pancake House but you can get some tasty Kaiserschmarren (google it) at the mountain restaurants here.

There must also be plenty of good options (with train connection to Munich) in Austria like Zell am See, Westendorf, Kitzbuhel, all more lively as well as larger, so make sure lodging isn't a long way from nursery slopes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the tips about Abaco - I think we'll fly directly to Marsh Harbour from MIA, so we'll avoid Nassau. Just need to charter a nice boat now. How willl the weather be in early November?[/quote]

Thanks so much for the information. It is very much appreciated. I had a look at the superski site and it really looks great. I just can't wait to go skiing!

November is normally quite good as it is getting cooler thank god. It is really intensely hot here for most of the year. Today I would say it is 25 Celcius with a breeze which is perfect. We had a cold front here though for the past week which is very unusual for this time of year. By cold front I mean 20 Celcius and maybe slightly cooler at night. We occasionally get cooler around Christmas time. I think the most you would need is a sweater for the evenings.

The other point about the Bahamas which is important to understand is that nothing moves fast here, especially not on the family islands. You can't be in a rush when you get here as nobody feels under any pressure to deliver on time or to meet you on time.

You might want to get in contact with some sailors before you arrive just so you have some people to help you if you need it. You really need to know people here. Cecil will be great but if you have any Bahamian sailing sites that you know of it would be good to make contact with people now. It will make your trip a whole lot better. I don't know anyone from the sailing scene in Abaco unfortunately. Next time I see Cecil (probably around Christmas) I will ask him.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike,
Don't disagree that the dolomites may be lovely. but
Quote:

but attractive resorts and low prices are as rare as hen's teeth.

This just is not true, may be true for the Tarentaise but elsewhere in France there are plenty of decent resorts and reasonable prices they just aren't heavily marketed in the UK
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, agreed, France has some picturesque, traditional spots too, La Clusaz, Les Gets & Megeve among others, come to mind.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So much choice, so little time! Austria is better, I think but if you are set on France, Morzine is a family orientated, traditional and attractive farming town into which skiing has been seamlessly incorporated. Nice locals too, but some braying Brits. Good transport links from Geneva which is about an hour away.
latest report
Hi all.
I am travelling by small motorhome for some snowboarding in france or switzerland in january.
I would love a campsite within walking distance to ski lifts.
A smaller/cheaper intermendiate resort would be fine.
Has anyone stayed in suce a campsite..?
Thanks for reading..
snow conditions
Daniel, you've asked this on another thread, I think. It's best to stick to one and the "campsite" thread is better than this one. snowHead
snow report
Hi Caroline 123,

I am currently living in St Lucia. Last year we flew direct to New York and then onto Steamboat(CO). Steamboat is great ski resort, family friendly and the flights worked out not too expensive but I get your point on trying to get away from the US for a change. A weakening Euro will be to your benefit also. Ski trip is great when you are living in the Caribbean, completely different and it is always nice after spending 2 weeks in the cold to have a warm beach waiting for you to rest yor bones.
ski holidays
Quote:

A weakening Euro will be to your benefit also.

It's OK for some. wink
snow conditions
Is this picturesque enough for you? This is Monetier-les-Bains, a village in the Southern French Alps. It is 12km from Briancon, which can be reached by overnight sleeper from Paris, or by car from Turin airport. Although the whole area has 250km of pistes (Serre Chevalier) the immediate area of Monetier has enough to keep you amused while your little one leanrs to ski. PM me if I can help you any further.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy