Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A few questions for the in the know Tignes crew

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off out to Tignes on the 7th Dec for a few days on the Mountainsun deal and i have a few questions for the people in the know out there.

The first one is fairly straight forward-if we go to the new swimming complex in le lac are shorts allowed or is it the dreaded swimming trunks? Also what time is the last bus back to les boisses run at that time of year(we was out on the same deal at about the same time last year-i remember there being 2 buses a day either way but can't remember what time the last one back was)-alternatively is there a local taxi firm and how much approx do they charge between le lac and les boisses?

My 2nd question is slightly harder-i've spotted on the piste map for the last few years now that there is a proposed gondola or cable car on there to run from les boisses upto link with the top of the chardonnes chair above le lac-does anyone here know if and when this is ever likely to come to fruition or is the credit crunch biting in the apls too?

Lastly-this is more of a hopeful/historical question-as i said earlier i was staying down in les boisses last winter for the same deal and arrived around the same time-just as some very heavy falls of snow were coming down-we were able to ski a fair amount of the resort but not back down to les boisses as the pistes back down were still closed tho it appeared that there was enough snow cover. Now do the regulars from Tignes on here reckon that might of been due to either avalanche danger(the road up was blocked on a couple of days were were there) or that the pisteurs hadnt got around to pisteing those slopes or is it more likely that they arent opened yet at that time of year due to there not being enough demand to warrant opening the lower lifts to service that sector?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Atomic_Mick, I can help you on the swimming pool bit - no need for speedos thank god - I swam there in boardies about 3 weeks ago, although a wetsuit would have been more use for the main pool, it was brrrrrrr
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bertie bassett, thanks for the heads up on the pool temps-i think now the hottub at the hotel will be the closest i get to the pool-closer to the bar too snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett wrote:
Atomic_Mick, I can help you on the swimming pool bit - no need for speedos thank god - I swam there in boardies about 3 weeks ago, although a wetsuit would have been more use for the main pool, it was brrrrrrr

It's all quite chilly - the hot tubs, the sauna, the steam room. I like it there, but I do wish they'd crank up the thermostats a bit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Agreed, I think they pump the water for the pool straight from the lake Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
george owen, Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On the Gondola front, on the wall of the Funicular last season they had their 08/09 09/10 10/11 etc plans laid out.

I think the Gondola was scheduled for start after this season end. I know they were doing alot to the roads around Les Boisses later on last season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One of the newer apartment complexes near us has a pool and friends very nearly bought there. They made a reservation, then got cold feet thinking about the cost of running the pool. One of the MGM "leaseback" places has a very nice (looking) complex and people we met who stayed there said it was too chilly to be enjoyable. The thought of how much it would cost to keep somewhere like that at a comfortable temperature for near naked wet people when it's freezing outside is daunting. We've stayed at a place in Austria which had hot springs (like I think they have in Serre Chevalier). That was great - and very warm - but Alpine pool complexes heated entirely with electricity are maybe not a great idea.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
On the Gondola front, on the wall of the Funicular last season they had their 08/09 09/10 10/11 etc plans laid out.

I think the Gondola was scheduled for start after this season end. I know they were doing alot to the roads around Les Boisses later on last season.

those maps are still there, but I didn't look at them that hard not being a 'local'

They were still doing work to the roads around les boisses about 3 weeks ago - It kind of looked like they might have created a by-pass, so that the through traffic doesn't have to go through the lower village, but I could well be wrong wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Atomic_Mick wrote:
Lastly-this is more of a hopeful/historical question-as i said earlier i was staying down in les boisses last winter for the same deal and arrived around the same time-just as some very heavy falls of snow were coming down-we were able to ski a fair amount of the resort but not back down to les boisses as the pistes back down were still closed tho it appeared that there was enough snow cover. Now do the regulars from Tignes on here reckon that might of been due to either avalanche danger(the road up was blocked on a couple of days were were there) or that the pisteurs hadnt got around to pisteing those slopes or is it more likely that they arent opened yet at that time of year due to there not being enough demand to warrant opening the lower lifts to service that sector?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

We were also there last december and really dissapointed that they didnt open more lifts despite plenty of snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all of the replies-on the pool temp front, if the pool is totally indoors then it isn't that difficult to get/keep the water warm-i just get the feeling its a bit of a French/European thing for not having too warm a pool as i've been to a few now that have been pretty chilly-though the open air one in the centre of Alpe D'huez was nice and warm last xmas.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett, I think they are bypassing Les Boisses so they can create a more skiable centre. I guess its the snowy equivalent to pedestrianising..

There was a big hotel going up there as well so I expect big development there over the next few years.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Atomic_Mick,
Quote:

Atomic_Mick wrote:

Can anyone shed any light on this?

We were also there last december and really dissapointed that they didnt open more lifts despite plenty of snow.

Glad you asked. We're in the same boat. The lifts serving the pistes down to Les Boisses opened as we drove out of the resort last year Mad
Can anyone answer this?

Atomic_Mick, See you there!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy