Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

COURCHEVEL.....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Off to 1850 in Jan, but looking for places/bars/restaurants (on slopes aswell as in the town) that aren't really gonna require me to take a bootful of cash....

Also, some of my party require boot/ski hire.....any recommendations......e.g. places that may let you swap ski's etc...

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a nice pizzeria in 1650 which is just a short walk from the snowfront. La Petite Savoyard - just walk down the road from the snowfront, turn right and the pizzeria is on your left. The Kalico on the piste dos reasonably priced food in 1850 (just go under the Croisette bridge and it's on your left. TJ's bar is reasonably priced for apres ski drinks (it's in the Catina hotel in 1850). If you fancy and end of the ski day chocolate or vin chaud the Courchneige hotel (on the Bellecote piste) has a lovely hotel bar which does surprisingly reasonable drinks given it's location.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We used to like the Refuge just along the road from TJ's etc - decent food, nice people, top notch vin chaud (Philippe doses it with orange liqueur and brandy). If you go in for a drink you get plied with cheese and sausage, and if you stay for far too much drink you often score for free chips as well!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went to the resto right on 'front de neige' in C1650 a couple of years ago for xmas lunch and very nice it was too. Basically it was directly opposite the main drag lift (belvedere)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The bakery in the shopping centre in 1850 isn't expensive and the food's pretty good. They have tables too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly wrote:
The bakery in the shopping centre in 1850 isn't expensive and the food's pretty good. They have tables too.

Seconded snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely there are more recommendations?? Puzzled Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barthez1980, not that are cheap. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i would expect nothing less in 1850....just not a bootful, maybe a kids chair full??? Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes Kalico where rob@rar describes was where we usually ended up for food and apres drinking.

For really cheap drinks in 1850, pimp yourself out to a loaded Russian lady-of-a-certain-age. Easy to spot, look for the botox victims in the full length ocelot coats. Watch out for the bodyguards.

1850 in early Jan will be brimming with very drunk Russians, particularly around their Old New Year on the 13th. Good fireworks, last year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh and for drinking, of course Le Jump bar (look left when facing the bottom of Croisettes lift station, in the row of shops, can't miss it). Brit run, where everyone not-Russian ends up at some point.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers, out there from 17th....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some top tips. Anyone else out at 1850 over Christmas
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What used to be called the End Cafe (can never remember its new name) under the Forum in 1850 used to be great for a fairly cheap lunch - huge omelettes for € 5-8 a few years ago. You go down the Plantrey road and it's on the right
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, thanks for the places mentioned above, i will be going for the first time to courchevel. can you please tell me what is the best travelling facility from it to meribel?
latest report
barthez1980, head over to Mottaret and have a mountain burger from the kiosk by the Sherpa supermarket. They cost about 6 euros and are definitely the greatest burger you'll ever have. I lived off them during my season in Meribel. Still have the belly to prove it
snow report
sabrina16, take the gondola up to the top of the Saulire and then head down the other side. Pretty simple really.
snow report
barthez1980, I can second Tommy4681, recommendation, the burgers at the kiosk (and the paninis) in Mottaret are great and really good value for money, definitely worth a visit.
snow report
excellent.are there any supermarkets??
snow report
The sherpa by the burger/panini kiosk is a 30 sec walk from the lift area at Mottaret.
ski holidays
There's a SPAR in 1650 on Rue des Marquis. It always seemed to be shut when I was there though Sad
snow report
Last year in the Spar in 1850, there were several bottles of wine for more than 2000 Euros, so don't assume that even the supermarkets will be cheap !
snow conditions
Hi Guys,

Got a few of my pals asking me to recommend good ski schools in Courchevel.....Anybody care to point me in the right direction??
ski holidays
barthez1980, we used Magic Academy twice and found them to be very good instructors for both children and adults. See http://www.magicfr.com/
latest report
barthez1980, also, on the original subject of where to eat, we went to a place inside the forum just above the Kalico - it is a bar/restaurant attached to the electronic games room with seats in the forum - so not outside for the sun like Kalico - but if I recall correctly it was cheaper than Kalico. Serves panini, pasta, etc. From there you can also see the sandwich bar inside the forum as well. Ski under the bridge at the Croisette and then stop immediately on your left (provided that you are skiing facing downhill Toofy Grin ) and go through the door marked forum entrance and up one flight of stairs.

While we were there over New Year, most days there was a chap up a ladder from the middle of the piste under the bridge to the sign on the bridge, with only a flimsy "net" around the ladder base to stop people crashing into it. It was soooo tempting to take him out, but we all resisted Madeye-Smiley
latest report
We sometimes go down to 1550 to eat.

There is a nice bar just oposite the stairs for the bubble lift.

Not looking forward to the beer prices in 1850 when we are there in two weeks time!
ski holidays
barthez1980 wrote:
Got a few of my pals asking me to recommend good ski schools in Courchevel.....Anybody care to point me in the right direction??

Ski Supreme or NewGen - never heard anything bad about either and can highly recommend the former from personal experience. I know other people who swear by Magic, but they are French-run (IIRC) so less likely to find a native English speaker there.
snow conditions
Not just the beer prices, russ_e, I ate at the aforementioned Kalico with young son on our last day, his plain Pizza was 12€ and my chicken mexican burger 14€ iirc Shocked
Most of the week we tried to avoid lunch by relying on chalet breakfast, tea and supper.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy