Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AT/Freeride boots' battle

Poster: A snowHead
So we have gone from

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
This is nowhere near 100% correct and should therefore be treated as nonsense.

to

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

DB, Wind your neck in dude, i simply wish to point out the list has more work to be done if the figures quoted are to represent the real data.

there's progress for ya, now someone throw him a fish Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
parlor wrote:
I tried on some ZZeus, Factors & Radiums last week. My god they're soft, be interesting to see how that translates in the snow Sad

Does that mean for you the Shaman is much stiffer than the Factor? How did the Factors and radiums compare, were the factors much stiffer?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, I think the Factors were stiffer but it was different shops and a long walk in comfy walking boots between. The truth be told I'm rubbish at the analytical stuff like flex comparisons, I can just tell you that they all seemed a little softer than I hoped for.

I was more concerned with fit. The Zzeus shell seemed best for shell fit but awful in the un moulded liners... I was hoping I could just put them on a *know* I was going to get a good fit, now I'm less sure and I hate being unsure with $$$ purchases.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, who has got Factors in stock?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Powderhound, Ski Service, good luck though, on Thursday had sold most of the stock, last delivery on Saturday but already some sizes earl marked. I think SZK has almost sold out too... (If you are still in the UK try them in SnR, £45 cheaper due CHF rate!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do S+R include both sole systems in the price?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor wrote:
I tried on some ZZeus, Factors & Radiums last week. My god they're soft

What are you comparing them against? i.e. what's your base point? Obviously you, Powderhound and I are coming at this from different skill levels and weights...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
take a boot, warm it to 22°, flex it through 10° (angle), 30,000. divide the energy used by 30,000 to give an average resistance in '*****' for the flex index of a boot.

Change the temperature or tightness of the boot and the feeling/flex will change dramatically. Without a gauge on tightness and temperature, liner type, dorsiflexion, the numbers given are at best vague.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are you still reading ??? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor wrote:
I tried on some ZZeus, Factors & Radiums last week. My god they're soft, be interesting to see how that translates in the snow Sad

You need to switch them from walk mode dude rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kiwi1, you need to stop wearing them at your desk. Dude. rolling eyes Razz Laughing

eng_ch, telemarking boots with flexing bellows. Wink My alpine boots are no reference I'm afraid - very highly modified - I only weigh 80kg. I haven't tried on any other alpine boots in years. Sorry. The boots just felt a lot softer than I was hoping for.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, no, both CHF price and £ price DO NOT include the sole. I am by no means recommending buying boots from SnR but if they fit, buy them, cause they are harder and harder to find.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, fairy snuff. It's just prurient interest born of impatience in my case Wink I'll find out for myself (in the shop) on Thurs. I shall be taking my alpine boots in with me for a side-by-side comparison under identical conditions
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor wrote:
kiwi1, you need to stop wearing them at your desk. Dude. rolling eyes Razz Laughing

Can't. The factors are like duvets and I'm cold. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch, don't take your alpines, take slippers. Laughing No, I jest. Nice idea.

My issue was custom liners. I have skied the same alpine shell for 6 seasons, three new custom liners and one pair Tele boots - which I always knew was too big - also with a custom liner.

All of these boots come with a relatively good liner which does need baking for a good fit. I'm too broke to be confident with a basic shell check... Sad

kiwi1, you know that thing you sleep in? That's your duvet. Send the Factors to me. You know you'll get more use of a duvet this season that a pair of ski boots.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, this is true Toofy Grin
latest report
parlor, hmmm wandering around in half a metre of snow with orange slippers on... niiice Laughing At least I wouldn't lose them Wink

I feel your pain - thanks to the federal tax authorities screwing up and failing to send us bills for 3 years, we're now skint as a skint thing in skint-ville, but if I'm going to consider getting AT boots this season, might as well do it now while there are any in stock anywhere and when I can get a season's benefit out of them. The chap here has done a fair amount of work on my alpine boots so he probably knows my feet well enough by now to trust him
snow conditions
Ok I have been and tried on some Factors but only in a warm shop.

They are a very very nice boot, but IMHO they are essentially a full on down hill boot with a walk mode, if that is what you are after, fine, however again IMHO they would be not that good for all but a short hike say 1 hourish and not that much better for skinning than DH boots. Also they would be a bit sketchy if you found yourself scrambling around on rocks. The walk mode was very smooth and not squeaky, the amount of travel seemed slightly limited, but looked like it could be fixed with modest plastic surgery. I would say and its hard to say from a limited try out in a warm shop that they were stiffer than my regular DH boots which are rated 110.

The list price in the UK is £350 which compares well with the 499 euros they are listed at in France.

I particularly like the snowboard boot type lacing system hmmmm.
ski holidays
I now have happy feet. Dynafit Zzeus. Tried in anger today, so far comfiest boots I've ever had, which alone makes them worthwhile.
ski holidays
eng_ch, sexy black boots dude. They fit me quite well... I may also have some next week. Very Happy (How much you give your way?)
snow conditions
"OOOOOOOhhhhhh Body Form, Body For Yooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu." Twisted Evil
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/_1TJzb0khF8
snow report
or even
http://youtube.com/v/C4Mo9xt_7S0&feature=related
latest report
The conditions are pretty good just now... And I have been able to live up to my name even though it's still November!

ski holidays
I am using theses this season. Bit soft but has a walk mode, vibram sole with rocker. Have limitations at hgh speed piste skiing, other than that im happy (my weight 73 kg) http://www.head.com/ski/boots.php?region=uk&tag=all_terrain&id=1454
snow report
just bought some Factors. I agree taht they are much like an alpine boot with a walk mode- but that's just what I want....

having found the technical specs online earlier today I think they have the broadest forefoot- at about 102-103mm and the narrowest heel of AT boots avaliable- which should be good for me--but

the liner is very very snug around my ankle_ it has inserts around the achilles tendon- I hope these pad out a bit.....

also a bit cheesed off that I will have to buy the AT sole blocs (not included at Slush and Rubble- but service very good and friendly)- which should have dynafit inserts so give me the option of any binding
latest report
Finally got me some boots. Went for Dynafit Aero FTs, really like the flex pattern, one of the stiffest AT boots I've tried on. Heavy for an AT boot but I'm used to doing long tours on heavy freeride orientated telemark boots, so they feel great! Walk mode is a bit rubbish but the I'm loving lots of forward lean something some AT boots miss..

Will post back when I get to ski in them, which may be January... Sad (Do not fret, I'll be skiing just doubt I'll have time to mount up any skis with touring bindings.)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy