Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keeping the feet warm

Poster: A snowHead
As a skiing donut, I have no real idea what I'm doing, but the one thing I am sure about, me feet n hands sure get cold! buying heat pads is one solution, but once my kids feet have got cold, they give up. What do I put on their feet to delay the cold? would silk socks be the way forward?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know what socks, but loosen your boots on the lifts and wiggle your toes a bit to keep the circulation going.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
biskum, welcome to Snowheads. Are you talking about you own feet or someone else's? Do you have your own boots?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, salomon ones, size 13! ( who said size don't matter) we've all got our own gear................but it don't stop our feet gettin cold! Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
socks in general would probably help!!! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski socks is the answer. wool ones.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well wool socks do help, but some people just get cold feet, no matter what they do. Make sure your boots are not compressing the blood vessels across the top of your feet. Mine are usually OK but when it's really cold (minus 10 and below) they do suffer, and I have invested in heated insoles which are great.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Under floor heating in your boots is pretty good, down to about -20 my feet are good but below they suffer so they come in handy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, How do they work, where can I get some before 4th December and are theyreally expensive, also is there anything you should do to ensure boot fit is not compromised?

M'Lady gets cold feet and this has a negative effect on how long she can spend on the hill!

Merci
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
biskum, thin socks, I've gone off shmanzy ones altogether and now just wear long cotton socks and save a load of money. So long as my boots are dry in the morning, no problem snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kaiser, can give you some quick info.. a heating element sticks upder your toes and a wire is run under the insole and out the back of a hole cut in the liner, then up the back of the boot between the shell and liner. This plugs into a battery pack at the top of the boot which clips on. Can be transferred from boot to boot.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arv, I reckon that could be just the ticket, if people say it works, then I suppose money ceases to be an issue!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kaiser, Yeh they do the job, maybe snow and rock? If you can get them cheaper fit em yourself as they are easy to do-if you need some guidance with the fitting i will take some photos of mine... but it really is very straight forward.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I suffer really badly from cold feet. Have boot warmers and love them
Gryphea
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kaiser, Intersport in Bourg were selling boot heaters last season, the Hotronic model I think. I've used them in the past and they do a good job - not so much keeping your feet warm and toasty, but stopping them from getting frozen.
snow report
Aldi Suisse had some really cheap heated insoles last week. Might be worth searching the net to see if you can find those. A third of the price of Hottronics version...
snow conditions
flowa, cotton is the single worst fibre you can wear if you get cold feet, it is a non intellegent fibre and holds any moisture next to the skin, man made fibre works by relying on heat to push moisture from somewhere warm [the foot] to somewhere cold [outside] if the foot is cold in the first place then it will not shift the moisture, this is where wool will suck the moisture away from the foot without the need for heat, it can then store it [up to a 1/3 of its weight without feeling damp] until it can be released as vapour

making sure the boots and the feet are warm and dry before you put the boots on is critical any dampness will multiply the speed at which the body cools by some 23 times
snow report
Kaiser, they are called Thermic. Mine are fitted into my custom insole so they don't need to compromise boot fit at all. It requires cutting a small slit in the liner (Stanley knife job) so needs a bit of confidence. One of my battery pack leads had become damaged and I consequently had to buy a new pair and CEM fitted the new one into my existing insoles when he was doing some other work on my boot (to reduce heel lift - and it worked great!).

There's an old type of battery pack which uses actual batteries and is a pain. Most are rechargeable. Not that cheap..... but having cold feet just ruins your day. The last ones I bought were in Lockwoods, the first lot in Filarinskis in Havant. In both cases I had the bootfitter fit them for me though it wouldn't be too difficult to fit your own. If you take your boots into somewhere that sells them they'd probably fit them for you. Probably most places that sell boots will sell Thermic warmers.

There are three heat settings and they last less long on the highest setting, naturally enough, but you only need a very, very, small amount of heat to do the job. You're not aware of a "hot water bottle effect" but your feet don't get cold. At least, mine don't, though I think some very bad sufferers still have a problem.

Be aware of potential problem of cutting off blood supply by having too tight boots across the top of the foot, too - worth asking a bootfitter's advice on that. It was certainly a problem for me, some years ago, in boots which were too big so I was cranking them up too tight across the foot - problem diagnosed in Filarinskis in Havant.
ski holidays
Another good thing is to start the morning with dry warm boots - a boot dryer is nice thing to have and you can get electric ones that leave the boots nice and warm too - if you start with warm dry boots I think you will stay warmer for longer
latest report
Appreciate all the advice chaps, I think I will do a cruise of the local sport shops and see how they compare to Nevada in Tignes, but this is clearly the way ahead for this season if I am to ski with M'Lady, otherwise it's going to be moaning and sulking all the way Toofy Grin
latest report
From reading your general information, it seems Merino wool socks is the way to go (like the idea of boot heaters, but 3 sets aint gonna be cheap). There are some mega ones on Ebay supa thick n 80% wool at £15 a pair, tell me all you whizzkids, are you using merino rich socks? are there a particular brand that is better than others?
snow report
Quote:

mega ones on Ebay supa thick

depends how well your ski boots fit. If they're a good fit, mega thick chunky socks are out of the question. But I did wear some thickish merino wool rich socks under my old boots - whatever brand I could get cheap in T K Maxx.
ski holidays
Have you tired wearing a hat/helmet?
latest report
Quote:

Yes.............................how's that gonna help me feet?
latest report
pam w, I also have the thermic ones - they were a godsend in Canada last year. However did you find that sometimes the switch got knocked across from, say, 1 up to 3? I ended up having to put a bit of duck tape across the top to stop it happening.
snow report
Quote:

Quote:

Yes.............................how's that gonna help me feet?

I believe the theory is that, without headwear, more heat is lost from the head and so more blood is supplied there to keep it warm, thereby potentially denying an adequate supply to the extremities - so they get cold. Or something like that. I'm sure someone will probably correct me soon enough.

Since I started wearing a helmet, I have never once had cold feet (including at minus 30C temps).
ski holidays
Now there's a theory!, lucky you, me n kids have got it all on, n still our feet get cold
ski holidays
Just a theory, and I'm sure I will be shouted down, but I am renowned for cold feet, and when I ski I never have cold feet in the situation you would most expect me to suffer from them. Could you have your boots done up too tight and therefore be disrupting the circulation to your toes?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
P.S. Try Tchibo and Lidl for ski socks
ski holidays
Quote:

However did you find that sometimes the switch got knocked across from, say, 1 up to 3?

Yes. I also had one of the little wires that slots into the battery packed ripped out - hence having to buy a new pair. CEM said it was probably an altercation with a chair lift seat. I can see that they're a mighty expensive solution for a family.
ski holidays
CEM, Blush ok, back to shmanzy for me then snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy