Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski bindings advice

Poster: A snowHead
I've pretty much decided that i'm going to purchase some Line Blend 2009 skis and now looking for bindings, ideally i'm trying to minimize costs within reason, obviously don't want poor quality!

I've come across the Marker Griffon and Rossignol Scratch 140 bindings. Anybody got any views on these? Also does anyone know where I can get Rossignol Axial2 140 or 150 bindings in the UK?

The skis will be used on piste, in the soft stuff and a wee bit of park use.

Also the skis are 100m wide and the scratch and axial bindings are both 100m brakes, is this touch and go or will it be ok?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Griffons look a bit plasticky, but not sure if that's a problem or not yet. I've got them on my Line Prophet 100s but not skied them yet. But at least you know the brake will fit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If Axial2 150s are the same as PX15's I have them. Bombproof but weight a load.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scotty9, don't fuss too much, a clamp is a clamp unless you need to run high DIN. Griffons look great if you can get them at a good price...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
keep an eye on ebay and buy some salomon 997 equipe (DIN to 14)
they will cost you £25 max
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
arv, where'd you get the PX15's? I'm having a real bit*h of a time hunting down Look bindings. Found the PX12's in the Freeze shop in Edinburgh but they've sold out of the titanium version.

I'm stuck between the Rossi Scratch 140, Marker Griffon and the Look PX12's. Any input on any of these from anyone?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scotty9, Monods in Banff... I have the Rossi Free 150's which are the PX15's except white. Get Freeze to order what you want in, have been helpful to me in the past ordering something they did not stock at all. I would go Griffon because they intrigue me but have no real input or as Arno says and you will save a good bit of money.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just bought the Griffons for my new punishers are being mounted this week so can't comment any more on them...theres a 10% off card in fallline for EB who have them if that helps..If not don't sport conrad do the px12 and others...though with the current exchange rates I don't know how much cheaper then are.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think im gonna be trying the Griffon. Been in touch with Freeze and they're going to sort me out! Thanks for all the input folks!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor wrote:
scotty9, don't fuss too much, a clamp is a clamp unless you need to run high DIN. Griffons look great if you can get them at a good price...

I don't want to get it a serious flaming war, but this simply is not true. I knew multiple people who had problems with last years Marker Jesters. I know people who have switched from Look bindings to Salomon and noticed a major weight difference.

Scotty is right to have done some research.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buckers, I doubt you'll be able to start a flame war over it brother. You have some anecdotal evidence do you? Bully for you. I know a couple of skiers who shredded all winter on Jesters with no issue.

Look bindings are 'quite often' heavier than Salomons. Then again, while we're at it, Sally bindings suck, only the S916, S920 STH916 and previous 997 models are worth having. S912 & S914, suck, lower models, suck, in fact they're plain dangerous for real skiers. I've seen plenty of exploded Z toes too.

Anyone who really needs to ask questions about these types of bindings ie they're don't already know which bindings work for them, will be fine on most bindings.

I normally recommend that people have a search around, we've done bindings quite hard on here and I stand by:

parlor wrote:
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, I'd stick a caveat in for avoiding Marker biometric toes like the plague, but otherwise agreed.

(though, re:jesters, I had a couple of weird releases out of Dukes that made me a bit dubious of the toe's retention)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaveC, not even. I've skied on loads of different Comps and they have been fine. Seriously, that c0wdoo matcho TGR thing winds me up. I can think of loads of hard skiing mo fos who have used Marker bindings for years - racing, skier X and freeride athletes.

At times all bindings are going to have weird releases, especially your first generation 'do it all' Dukes. Just from the toe? Make sure your forward pressure is spot on and also check your toe height. Remember that AFD is designed to take a touring sole as well as ISO sole...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I dunno, my housemate last year had some din10 bio markers and it was painful - she'd walk out of them on multiple occasions, and I've had some pretty explosive pre-releases on my old carvers. FP set correctly for sure, ended up on din 8 and she wasn't a big girl at all - way higher than it should of been. Comps are totally different to the consumer bio toe according to TGR, never seen one in the flesh but I've seen a few threads with people defending comps specfically vs the marker stereotype.

As for my Dukes, one was probably a correct release but it just felt a bit soft (dug a tip), and another time I tail-tapped a tree in a tight glade to wash some speed and lost a ski... that one was sketchy (din14) and a bit scary. Don't really blame them specifically, just personally I don't really like the toe setup vs look/solly toes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, max DIN of 10 will be the clue, doesn't matter they are Markers. The only good bindings that have been made for light people with low DINS that still ski hard and charge are the Look turntable , like TTs & FKS, a 10 & 12 model, sometimes known as Jr Race see Rossi equivalent. Tyrollia make some OK one to, any with the rolling AFD are normally great. You can't defend 910s or 912s for being any better, you have to get a screw driver out every ten seconds to adjust the wings, sloppy sloppy. Give me Marker toes over those silly S910-14 toes any day.

So for a alpine binding that tours you like your Dukes. See your own post above.
ski holidays
Hmm, not seen anyone walk out of anything else while skating on flat though - I'm looking at friends experience rather than my own in my dislike for them. The TGR rep just confirms that for me personally.

Don't really understand the last line... to clarify I'm not grouping the (new, much much better) jester/duke toe to bio toes.
snow report
DaveC wrote:
Don't really understand the last line... to clarify I'm not grouping the (new, much much better) jester/duke toe to bio toes.

I'm just saying that at the end of your days the Dukes are still touring bindings, even if you have a couple or questionable releases, what did you expect race clamp performance?
latest report
Oh, no, not at all - but Jesters are ostensibly the same design, and it was the lack of any room for recovery in a couple of releases and what felt like an unnessecary release in another that concerns me.
latest report
DaveC, sorry the anti-Marker thing is one of my bug bears. Too much anecdotal evidence for me. Even with your flatmate, was there any other possible reason for the release? Excessive boot wear for example? This a rhetorical question BTW.

If you're a good / hard skier and bindings start to make a real difference between a pre-release and a good release you should already know what you need / like. And dodgy low DIN Markers / Salomons / Any binders shouldn't really be part of it.
latest report
Well, it's no more anecdotal than the Solly toe wing thing. Never had to loctite or re-adjust the 912s I had for a season a couple of years ago. The thing is, like you say, there's "too much" anecdotal evidnence. There's pretty reasonable argument now that Marker built the Bio toe to release rather than retain under stress, and it does it's job too easily.

I agree that "recreational" skiers won't be affected so much, but it makes sense to let people know about the potential reason to avoid Markers and to a lesser extent Sollys. I'd argue that your pro-Marker thing is just as anecdotal as the anti arguments, there're just a lot more of them!
ski holidays
DaveC, fair point. Wink
ski holidays
Jeez, get a room wink
ski holidays
arv wrote:
Jeez, get a room wink

Yeah......what he said Toofy Grin
ski holidays
3 days of work left, I'll argue the sky's pink if it passes the time Very Happy
snow report
kiwi1, shut up duvet boy. Wink

And you can shut it too arv. Go and charge your boot warmers. :fm:
snow report
As you were... rolling eyes

This what you were looking for fmicon Wink
ski holidays
arv, how did you get to 2789 posts in two weeks? rolling eyes wink Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy