Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet gives me ear-pain :(

Poster: A snowHead
I borrowed my brothers' helemt earlier this year, and it felt dead comfy in the house, but once i'd been skiing in it for an hour or so it was causing an aching pain as it was effectively 'squashing' my ears against my head. Bloody annoying when trying to enjoy myself skiing!

Now I know my ears stick out more than the average person, but are there any recommendations for me apart from not wearing a helmet?

Am looking forward to a 2-week trip to Colorado in Feb, but want it to be pain-free if possible!

Joe Smile

P.S I suppose I could have an operation to get my ears pinned back, but thats a bit extreme I reckon!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take the earpads off (if it's that kind of helmet).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TangoFiver, No, I think not wearing the helmet or amputating the old lugholes are your only options and as Helmets are an essential safety feature of skiing (see threads passim) and indeed are compulsory when skiing over 15kph in France this year, it looks like a trip to homebase to buy a nice sharp knife is in order. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, "and indeed are compulsory when skiing over 15kph in France this year"

Have I missed something???
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TangoFiver, sounds to me that the helmet is a wee bit small for you. Go to a shop and try some other ones.

Also, like Lizzard says, take the ear pads off if it's got them.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 23-11-08 1:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TangoFiver try taking your earrings off.
Ear pads vary. I've swapped with OH - different make helmets (one Giro, one Red) but they sort of fit. His squashed his ears, but they're OK on my ears. Worth trying on different kinds - you need a bit of breathing space for the ears.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, TangoFiver, yes true about the earrings (if you wear any TangoFiver that is). I can't wear studs even with mine, the pads push the earrings onto behind my ear lobes and it's uncomfy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TangoFiver, do you wear goggles or sunglasses? I've had problems with sunglasses and always use goggles now, but it wasn't obvious the pain I had from the glasses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rich, yeah I know what you mean I always wear goggles with mine unless it's a really warm day in April or something.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TangoFiver, keep the helmet on round the house - helmets are like ski boots the more you wear them the better the fit wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
II wrote:
TangoFiver, keep the helmet on round the house - helmets are like ski boots the more you wear them the better the fit wink

...that only works if you wear the accompanying goggles too... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nope no earings, and no ear-pads either...

I don't think it's a case of getting a larger size and all will be fine. The one I used was fine around my head, even felt comfy, it was just after an hour it was causing a bit of pain Sad It didn't get any better through the week we were there either.

I wear goggles, which was another thing that caused a bit of irritation - they seemed to be stretched too far around the helmet and it restricted my breathing, so I had to wear them slightly higher on the nose. rolling eyes

I'll maybe need to try other brands then. I just don't want to try something that is comfy in the shop but after an hour or two I want to take it off because it's bloody painful!

Joe Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

they seemed to be stretched too far around the helmet and it restricted my breathing, so I had to wear them slightly higher on the nose.

my goggles absolutely won't go round my helmet - far too tight. I've bodged them up with a couple of lengths of ski-pass elastic. They're compatible shape-wise with my helmet and otherwise very satisfactory but the strap was not made for the job and I'm too tight to buy another pair.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leaving the Missus at home cured my ear pain. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, get down with the kids and put your goggles on underneath your helmet. it will look the shizzle Cool
snow conditions
Arno, do you mean "steezy"? wink
ski holidays
Arno, never thought of that!
snow report
Downhilldan wrote:
Leaving the Missus at home cured my ear pain. wink

But was your helmet more comfortable? That is the serious issue under discussion!
latest report
TangoFiver your gogs won't fit round your helmet because they're not helmet compatible ones by the sounds of it. The ones that are helmet compatible have got plenty of strap length to go round.
ski holidays
TangoFiver, I used to have a helmet that hurn my ears too. Turns out it was the wrong shape for my head and pressed on the old lugs too much.

Try a few different brands on it a shop and see which fits best.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
TangoFiver, I used to have a helmet that hurn my ears too. Turns out it was the wrong shape for my head and pressed on the old lugs too much.

Try a few different brands on it a shop and see which fits best.

Which brand did you settle with if you don't mind me asking?

Is it possible to buy the goggle-straps which are suitable for a helmet seperately?

Joe Smile
snow report
TangoFiver, is the helmet you've got that's squashing your ears a Bolle by any chance?

I've got a Smith Variant Brim-not cheap mind but it is excellent. I reckon one of them might be a good choice for fitting your ears in.
snow report
TangoFiver, with regards to the goggle straps separately question....I don't really know sorry.
ski holidays
TangoFiver, I've a Pro-Tech now.
snow conditions
TangoFiver, Amputation Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
TangoFiver, is the helmet you've got that's squashing your ears a Bolle by any chance?

I've got a Smith Variant Brim-not cheap mind but it is excellent. I reckon one of them might be a good choice for fitting your ears in.

No it's not Bolle, can't remember the name of it but wasn't Bolle.

Just done a quick google and that helmet (Smith Variant Brim) is just over £80. The Protec ones seem a bit cheaper (around £50 I think).
I suppose i'll have to go somwhere and start trying on, or maybe just wait until I get to the resort and have a gander there, maybe even hire one...

I'll maybe need to start another thread about the goggle/strap issue then,

Thanks for the replies,

Joe Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy