Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots in hand Luggage

Poster: A snowHead
All I can say is the whole airline industry should get their ******* act together and standardise their regulations. They are supposed to be a service industry, all they do is cause confusion.

I looked at the BAA website which said hand luggage has to be a maximum 56 x 45 x 25 cm. which is a bit more than the dimensions shown above for Easyjet. My ski boot bag is within the BAA limits but not the Easyjet limits. I can't find a website for the charter airline I'm flying with "Viking Airlines", at least they're not called "Cowboy Airlines".

I suppose the lack of standardisation enables the airlines to rip us off with charges.

Thanks for all of your replies.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mart8235, I gathered the same info - the ski carriage T&C's have changed from last season for TUI; Inghams has a similar change - collusion Puzzled is their a case for breach of competion laws Puzzled
It really annoys me that they bombard me with advertising to buy their winderful holidays from them and then alienate me with inadequate carriage allowances. I can't now use my very practical Dakine combined ski & boot bag which served me well last year. Why must I have now to buy new luggage & waste effort arranging packing to make most of hand luggage allowance. On some charter flights the allowance is now only 15 kg i.e only 10 kg after deducting weight of boots. It detracts from the experience & cleanliness having to wear skiwear and fighting to find overhead locker space whilst travelling. T.O.'s repeat business relies on the customer satisfaction and must compete with a DIY package. At least using Easyjet once you pay for the baggage & ski carriage you get a sensible allowance.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WayneC wrote:
Easiest is to check it all by hiding in normal hold luggage, take spare clothes as hand luggage and have no problems.! Very Happy

Easiest, but I get quite paranoid with my helmet being checked in, with the abuse that baggage usually gets. This year will be even worse as I'm only checking in a ski bag Shocked

I'm trying to avoid flying this year though. Uni trip on a coach, and hopefully 'training' to the EoSB.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I tried taking boots as hand luggage from Paris to Nice with Air France. The girl at check-in was fine with it - I even fessed up & told her my boots were in my hand luggage. Security was another matter, the jobsworth I encountered sent me back to check in Mad . And that was in France where I've found they tend to be fairly relaxed about these things, whereas IME English airport security verges on the hysterical these days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some of the problems "may" be excusable.
If you work in airport security and don't go skiing, you will not really know what all the strange bits of metal on a pair of boots do, or even if there really are parts of the boots at all, or some other object "hidden" within the boots that you are trying to sneak onto the plane.
It may be better to be slightly inconvenienced than have the chance of someone coming up with the idea of hiding some component of "something"(?) in a ski boot bag.
Just a thought, from the other side of the argument.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The last thing I would want to do is to have to carry my boots around. I can't wait to get rid of my luggage at check in.

Not sure what everyone takes away with them that they have problems packing their boots in their checked baggage. After refining my packing over the years, for 1 week in Europe, including boots, my S&R bag weighs in at 19.5Kg. and for 10 days in Whistler at 21Kg, and now I don't come back with loads of unworn clothes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne,

Thousands of skiing Brits fly each year. Shouldn't the security staff at airports know what ski boots look like on their scanners? I'll happily take my boots out of their bag and show them to the security staff, I'll even take the liners out of the shells.

I've just managed to fit my ski boots into my backpack. What do you think will happen when I turn up with, as my hand luggage, my backpack containing my ski boots and my helmet strapped to the outside of my backpack. That is what I think I will do, which will leave my two hands free to drag my suitcase and ski bag.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haven't read the entirety of this immensely long thread so forgive me if I'm going over old ground, but with regard to helmets, what do you guys do? Put them in the hold baggage/board bag or attach them to your hand lugagge? I've seen guys with helmets on their backpack as hand lugagge but wasn't too sure...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davehk,

It isn't necessarily about the weight of luggage.

I don't mind if the airline loses my skis because I can hire a pair just like mine. I can probably survive without my suitcase for a couple of days by buying clothing and reclaiming the cost. However my ski boots are custom fitted for my feet, hiring a pair of ski boots would completely ruin my holiday.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman,

Some people have a special helmet case and carry that as hand luggage. Big fabric type holdall ski bags are big enough to put your helmet inside them. I have a suitcase which has partitions to make it easy to pack two halves separately but that means neither half is deep enough for my helmet even if I take the ear pads off my helmet. That's why I'm contemplating attaching my helmet to my hand luggage (back pack). If they say I can't have two pieces of hand luggage I'll say I'll wear my helmet.

I think the conclusion to this thread is that the whole thing is up to the individual airport check in and security staff.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
welshflyer wrote:
If they say I can't have two pieces of hand luggage I'll say I'll wear my helmet.

But then your passport would not look like you unless you're bald with a painted head - think of the security problems with that - although you could attach a photograph of yourself to the back of your helmet and put it on backwards (again would only work if you're blad)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne,

My passport photo doesn't look like me because I had to take my glasses off for the photo because the lenses were reflecting the flash. They returned my application and photos and I had to have more photos taken without my glasses on. Does that mean I have to take my glasses off when I go through passport control.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back to original post - we have changed our final details that are sent to the clients with the tickets. It now says you can not put your ski boots in your hand luggage. Problem is that we are using 7 airlines from 5 UK airports to 3 Italian airports, each with hundreds of security staff all with different ideas ?
Even though you "should" be able to, we have told people not to. Less hassle that way.

I have just checked out our system and over 25% of people have asked for skis only (so they have thier own boots) and or no hire at all - all these people will have to re-think about what they can take within the weight limits.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
welshflyer wrote:
It isn't necessarily about the weight of luggage

No I think it is about trying to chisel extra money. Mad They need to make a profit but why can't they be up front about it.
Agreed - It is true that your own boots have been bought to fit, I can't get along with hire boots so what do you do with BA who have a generous free allowance for sports equipment but a terrible reputation for mislaying baggage Puzzled
latest report
welshflyer, I think you're right. I've never had a problem with overpacked board bags but you never know who's gonna be checking your bags in next time do you?...

Think I'll wear my helmet and put the fear of God into everyone onthe plane that we're gonna crash!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
davehk, 19.5 Kg would be 4.5Kg over the limit for quite a few short-haul airlines.

That is about the weight of a pair of ski-boots.
snow report
How about sending this thread to all the airlines 'frequently asked questions' mail addresses. That would give them something to read. snowHead
snow report
It sounds like there might be a market for:

1) BigHats - Felt hats that coincidentally fit neatly over ski helmets.
2) OverMoonBooties - fur trimmed coverings with cushioned soles that slip over ski boots (also good for chalets and hotels).
3) EltonJohnnies - plastic attachments to make goggles look like outre fashion sunglasses
4) OldCodgers - Big rubber feet that attach over the baskets and pointed ends of ski poles, and curved walking-stick handles that slip over the handles.
5) KleptoCoats - Large coats with hundreds of zipper pockets into which can be stored loads of PDAs, MP3 players, Camcorders, transformers, bars of soap, hair-dryers, shavers, etc.
6) MagicScarves - A wide strip of interconnected compartments for storing small items of clothing such as underwear, that one wears as if a scarf.
7) RockSacks - Extremely strong rucksacks that meet the size requirements for carry-on luggage, but into which the heaviest of items can be placed, that also expand to accommodate all the 'dutyfree' booze one buys in the departure lounge.
Cool NoCases - Large holdalls made of thin and light but strong fabric, with no wheels or reinforcements, that can fold into a pocket sized pouch, but into which one can place KleptoCoats and MagicScarves prior to boarding the transfer coach.
snow conditions
crosbie wrote:
Cool NoCases - Large holdalls made of thin and light but strong fabric, with no wheels or reinforcements, that can fold into a pocket sized pouch, but into which one can place KleptoCoats and MagicScarves prior to boarding the transfer coach.

http://www.catch22products.co.uk/Security.htm#Air

My climbing partner (he who ties the knots, so I don't die) owns this company so I know it's OK
snow report
crosbie, excellent. Can I order:
- 1 BigHat (just bought my first helmet & have been wondering how to pack it)
- 1 Pair OverMoonBooties (in size 10 for Mr Blizt, my ski boots getting bit old so wouldn't mind an excuse for buying new ones)
- 2 RockSacks (I find travelling light so so difficult & can see many benefits in this)
However, could you wait till next week to charge me so that I can benefit from the lower rate of VAT
Laughing Laughing
latest report
blizt, thank you for your order. Carriage from the factory in Zurich will be 50€ per item (including pre-paid warranty return). Fortunately, there is no VAT payable, however you should expect to pay import duty @ 20%. I will let you know when the items you have selected are in stock...
ski holidays
crosbie, why are you not already marketing the EltonJohnnies to fans of jester hats and 'amusing' team holiday T-shirts? Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, ah, good question.

As it happens, I have already been trying to market them. I've been visiting all the major big wigs at all the most prestigious ski resorts and have introduced them to my new line in fashion goggles. Strangely, on each occasion, I have been persuaded to accept several thousand Euros (or Swiss Franc equivalent) specifically not to. I get the impression they feel they'd lose far more in lost revenue from Russian Oligarchs and other high flyers if their resorts were toned down by skiers wearing my goggles. Puzzled
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
crosbie wrote:

http://www.catch22products.co.uk/Security.htm#Air

My climbing partner (he who ties the knots, so I don't die) owns this company so I know it's OK

"OK" but completely pointless IMV.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
davehk, 19.5 Kg would be 4.5Kg over the limit for quite a few short-haul airlines.

That is about the weight of a pair of ski-boots.

Ah - I've only ever used BA, First Choice or Britannia in Europe and they've always been 20Kg.
ski holidays
I already have a KleptoCoat...it's called a ski jacket. Definitely need a MagicScarf though Very Happy

Serious point on carrying ski helmets onto planes...I've tried getting onto a Monarch flight before with a mate who had his helmet hanging from his (full) carry-on rucksack. He got told that it was a health & safety hazard (might bang into people) and he would have to pack it inside something. He asked about wearing it, and got told that would be equally dangerous (not clear why... Puzzled ). Anyway, he'd have been in some trouble if I hadn't had plenty of space in my bag...

Clearly a market for BigHats..
ski holidays
ChrisWo,

He was told he couldn't wear his helmet because they thought he was a hijacker and would threaten to head butt people if they wouldn't fly him to ******** .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting last post. I got his from Thomsons -

Can I take oversized or bulky sports equipment, such as a surf board, bicycle, golf clubs or skis, on the flight?
You can take oversized or sports equipment on the flight, providing you contact us on on 0871 231 4143 (Thomson holidays) or 0871 231 4869 for Thomsonfly, and pre-book the carriage of these items. Space in our aircraft is limited, so if you do not pre-book carriage, we may refuse carriage of these items. Prices for sports equipment start from £15 per flight, but may vary depending on route. Please note that ski carriage will only include 1 pair of boots, 1 set of skis and 1 set of poles. Scuba diving equipment must be pre-booked. If you are in possession of a scuba diving qualification, please produce your certificate at check-in to receive 5kg free of charge.

so paying for ski carriage includes your boots ?
latest report
Kiltedlad, er... looks that way - what makes you think it might not?
snow report
We've taken boots on as hand luggage with Ryanair outbound from the UK, no problem. Salzburg check in staff homebound made us pay and wouldn't listen to our protestations. Ditto check in at Manchester with Singapore Airlines to NZ (yep, I love my boots that much), no problem but Auckland to Queenstown with Air New Zealand and back I was made to pay. With skis we have got away with packing two pairs in one soft ski bag (but then potential for damage) by fiddling with or removing bindings but it's all been very stressful in case we got found out and had problems. The real issue is a lack of cohesive approach by tour operators and airlines and a desire on their part to make as much money as they can from the (un)suspecting punter.
snow conditions
Quote:

blizt, thank you for your order. Carriage from the factory in Zurich will be 50€ per item (including pre-paid warranty return). Fortunately, there is no VAT payable, however you should expect to pay import duty @ 20%. I will let you know when the items you have selected are in stock...

crosbie, are they in yet? It'll be so exciting getting a parcel through the post. Will it look like a parcel or will it be in an ingenious disguise to fool the postman? Oooh, I can't wait
snow report
Kiltedlad, the info on Thompson's ski holiday site differs from the Thompsonfly T&Cs its says
"Skis, snowboards and boots must be checked into the baggage hold, you may not take them with you into the cabin. Boot bags count towards your overall weight limit on all flights"
and
"Ski and snowboard bags must contain skis and snowboards ONLY and should weigh no more than 6 kgs"
snow conditions
Kiltedlad wrote:
Interesting last post. I got his from Thomsons -

Can I take oversized or bulky sports equipment, such as a surf board, bicycle, golf clubs or skis, on the flight?
You can take oversized or sports equipment on the flight, providing you contact us on on 0871 231 4143 (Thomson holidays) or 0871 231 4869 for Thomsonfly, and pre-book the carriage of these items. Space in our aircraft is limited, so if you do not pre-book carriage, we may refuse carriage of these items. Prices for sports equipment start from £15 per flight, but may vary depending on route. Please note that ski carriage will only include 1 pair of boots, 1 set of skis and 1 set of poles. Scuba diving equipment must be pre-booked. If you are in possession of a scuba diving qualification, please produce your certificate at check-in to receive 5kg free of charge.

so paying for ski carriage includes your boots ?

Interesting - so can I produce my PADI certificates at check in and put my ski's on for nothing?
latest report
Double rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy