Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots in hand Luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Embarassed

Sorry - I'll get me coat !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two pairs of skis in one bag - will they charge me extra? Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
can i fly with no passport
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JasonW wrote:

what about one that runs out on the day you are flying out?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Which passport should I use?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I cant beleive someone would try and get Boots in their hand luggage. Surely something as large as Boots must go in the hold ?

Unlike Woolies which would fit easy Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett wrote:
JasonW wrote:

what about the one that runs out the day before you fly back?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
JasonW wrote:

what about the one that runs out the day before you fly back?

I have been in France when my passport ran out, lesson one was to check your passort in good time of your holiday. When I opened it up at customs and saw it was only valid for the next 5 days I had a major panic attack but thought I'm here lets go for it.
Customs said nothing when I went out
Had a great 14 days
Back into the UK I thought I could claim political asylum as my country was not letting me back in Very Happy but it got a bit of a look at then I was allowed back in - damn it Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have an idea.... after last years plethora of "boots in hand luggage" threads (pretty much one a day!), why not have a sticky at the top of "The Piste" that just remains there as a guide to which airports/airlines allow or disallow boots in hand luggage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JasonW,

Yes you can fly without a passport.

I do it regularly when I go paragliding. I also don't need one when I fly internally within the UK.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On a serious note I am wondering if I'll be able to use my ski boot bag as hand luggage containing both my ski boots and helmet.

I believe it's partly up to the airline and it must also have to be within a specified size and weight but I can't remember what these are. Where are those "boots in hand luggage" threads?

Personally I think the combined passenger & luggage weight should be restricted to 110kg.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
welshflyer, You have to check with both the airline and airport regarding boots as hand luggage
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
riverman, FFS why? if they're being tossers about it as airports in the UK have a habit of doing, wear the things. They haven't installed fashion police yet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's also the option of packing them in a non boot bag of the correct size and not telling anyone what they are. No-one's ever asked me what's in my hand luggage, let alone looked in it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Smokin Joe wrote:
Embarassed

Sorry - I'll get me coat !

and keep moving Toofy Grin
ski holidays
welshflyer, a boot bag won't fit in the hand luggage size limits, you'd have to put them in another type of bag. As far as I'm aware, (and I checked their web site a month ago) ski boots aren't specifically listed as prohibited by BAA and what the airline say isn't really of any consequence unless you're trying to claim off them.

Check with the airport operator, they're the only only ones in practice who can actually stop you taking something onto the plane.
latest report
Boots in hand luggage

BMI & BMIbaby = NO
Easyjet = YES
RyanAir = NO
BA = YES and NO, as you may take your boot-bag for free, although is counted towards your overall weight allowance

Even if yes then your hand baggage must still conform to the sizes the individual airline stipulates.

According to CAA there are no security implications surrounding the carrying of sports equipment in hold or hand luggage providing that the items are able to be inspected on demand. However there are very strict rule governing the size of sports equipment - but this would normally cover such items around the size of a canoe or larger.

2 pairs of skis in one bag don't fall into the rules of over sized sports items. But ... as normal… you are dealing with individuals within the airport / airline industries who may not fully understand the rules or (most likely) may have been misinformed by someone else higher up who also does not understand the rules.

You have no chance what-so-ever of winning an argument with a person in the airport even if you're right about what can be carried and what can't. We all remember seeing the signs all over airports and on ferries telling you that you could only bring certain amounts of duty paid goods into Britain from Europe - for years no one ever questioned that fact that the signs were wrong (as they had been copied from books – that were also wrong) and the amounts had simply been invented by someone at the customs office. Once it's written down - that's it, unless you have a "lot" of money to go through the courts. Which in the case of the duty paid items luckily a ferry company did.

So there you have it. Airlines that don't allow boots in hand luggage have decided on their own to disallow them - there are "no" CAA rules that forbid them. Some will cite “safety” – as they may fall out and injure someone, some will cite space saving, some are (very obviously) using the boots-in-a-bag thingy to generate income, etc.

What ever the reason best bet would be to look on the airlines website and check out what they say and stick to it. You'll save yourself a lot grief at the airport. If it is allowed then print off the page and take it with you to the airport.
snow report
Wayne, fly with Ryanair every yer and every year took boots as hand luggage trick is not to tell them whats in it and have it over your shoulder wink
ski holidays
Does anyone know if skis and boots count towards your overall luggage weight allowance?

I've heard they dont weigh them but surley with the fuel costs getting ever higher they're gonna start weighing them at some point?

I'm flying with thomas cook airlines in January. Any one know how strict they are?
snow report
Wayne, a thorough check of the BMI site makes no reference to any restriction on boots in cabin. As long as the bag fits the required dimensions, i see no reason why any problem.

mart8235, check with the airline...
ski holidays
David Murdock, i've checked a few times, there's nothing clear to state either way, its a bit of a minefield!
latest report
mart8235 wrote:
Does anyone know if skis and boots count towards your overall luggage weight allowance?

Most of them do except BA (but there is talk of this changeing soon) - but we are TO so don't use the "oposition" like Thomas Cook for flights so you would need to check with them

Edited for spelling - ooops

David Murdoch wrote:
a thorough check of the BMI site makes no reference to any restriction on boots in cabin.

I have written to all airlines that we use (even if only now and again) and the CAA TO's help service, to ask about this. In the BMI / Baby case I was refered to this section

In addition to the list of dangerous items prohibited for carriage in baggage, the UK Department of Transport, Local Government and Regions (DTLR) has prohibited the following articles from being carried onboard as cabin baggage: Toy or replica guns (plastic or metal), catapults, household cutlery, knives with blades of any length, paper knives, razor blades, tradesmens tools, darts, scissors, tweezers, hypodermic syringes (unless a genuine medical need can be proven), knitting needles, sporting bats, billiard, snooker or pool cues. neither BMI or bmibaby permits ski boots to be carried onboard or as hand baggage, however ski boots are accepted as checked in baggage – see sporting equipment for more information

JasonW wrote:
Wayne, fly with Ryanair every yer and every year took boots as hand luggage trick is not to tell them whats in it and have it over your shoulder wink

Ha Ha I like that idea - good luck

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 23-11-08 13:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
mart8235 wrote:
David Murdock, i've checked a few times, there's nothing clear to state either way, its a bit of a minefield!

Best bet would be to book with a TO that gives "either" ski/boot hire OR ski/boot carriage within the cost of the holiday.

Hmmmmmmmmmm who could that be - OK no touting here ya know Very Happy
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, look what you've started! Laughing

On the subject though, what about helmets? I'm sure I read something on here a while back about Geneva not liking boots or helmets in anyone's hand luggage...?
latest report
Wayne, interesting. The BMI site was hardly easy to navigate (how hard should it be?). I'm not sure how they'd police it though.

A. You check in with a hand luggage compliant bag containing (small or inflatable) ski boots. They don't ask to see in the bag.

B. You go through security who don't pay attention to either 1. anything important or 2. what airline you're with.

C. You arrive at your destination, inflate your boots and away you ski.

All very peculiar. I'd wing it if I felt it important - heli ski week, world cup race or whatever.
ski holidays
Wayne, Easyjet - NO NO NO . The one from BRS anyway
ski holidays
Last season Boots in hand luggage from Grenoble big NO, signs clearly displayed on way to security. No matter what airline.
latest report
Smokin Joe, you are certainly no the Messiah.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been lurking in the wings for a while now, but been therre with this issue. Last spring via BRS the security staff refused my wifes boot sin hand bagage at x-ray; despite the fact that therre werer loads of people getting through (including two others in our party). Tries to argue the case but wsa getting no where. On return looked at the BRS website and they had added ski boots to the banne dliat; anybody want a pair of cheap ladies lane exlusive 80's 5 day swear only! Bu**er!
snow report
erica2004 wrote:

This is a copy of the e mail I got from Easyjet - you can print it and take it to the airport with you ??

Thank you for contacting us.

I am happy to confirm that easyJet does offer a very generous hand baggage allowance. Each passenger can carry one item of hand baggage, with no weight restriction, although you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker unassisted. You can carry your ski boots packed in a small bag as your hand baggage, but that should be the only piece of hand luggage you will have onboard.

So that baggage can be stored safely in the overhead locker, the dimensions cannot exceed 55x40x20cms.

For future queries, you may wish to use the ‘frequently asked questions’ (FAQ) section under the ‘contact us’ heading on our website, which will provide the answers to our most commonly asked questions without the need to wait for an email reply.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again via the contact us section of the easyJet web site.

Yours sincerely

Dipchandan Bagchi
Customer Experience Champion

Mind you this is the problem you are up against. Easyjet DO allow boots in hand luggage. The CAA does NOT ban boots in hand luggage - you "should" have no problems.

BUT

We have all been there. You check it at the airport and in your hand luggage you have a bag of marsh mellows (the pink ones are the best by the way). You can't take those on the plane says the person. Why not says you. It's the law say the person. Which law says you? "The" law says the person. Of course it's boll*cks but now he has you. If you "really" want to take your pink marsh mellows on the plane then you "must" be either a pedo, terrorist or some other type that he was warned about on the course. So that’s it. You’re stuffed. No pink marsh mellows for you. Anyway I’m bored, been here all day, only on minimum wage, why should I care, your fault you should know we don’t allow marsh mellows, I can't afford a ski holiday so sd you. No he won’t show you the rule book, that would be against sec-uuur-ety. Shall I call the super-visor (thats a Big visor) say the person, yeah says you. What going on says super-visor, he is try to hijack the plane with these pink marsh mellow, oh is he, now then sir, only white marsh mellows allowed. Ad infinitum.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 23-11-08 17:22; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Wayne, print away. If airport security says 'no' they mean no.
snow report
Smokin Joe, Can't believe you got 30 replies, should be ashamed of yerself, ya bugga! Laughing
latest report
achilles wrote:
Wayne, print away. If airport security says 'no' they mean no.

Totally agree with you. Once it's on a sign then it must be true. Best bet would be to pack your boots into your hold bags and maybe pay the extra weight, as it only a few quid.

You will never win against a sign.
snow report
Smokin Joe, can open, worms everywhere Laughing
snow conditions
back to wearing them then? (with the little rubber toe and heel protectors of course...)
snow conditions
mark_s wrote:
Smokin Joe, look what you've started! Laughing

On the subject though, what about helmets? I'm sure I read something on here a while back about Geneva not liking boots or helmets in anyone's hand luggage...?

Friends of mine got turned back at Gatwick security two weeks ago with skydiving helmets and had to check them. The airline were happy but security said no, Security manager backed up the front desk and they had no options.

Other friends on different flights had big problems with sports parachutes in hand luggage, even though they had a letter from the CAA confirming they were okay. Security said no!

Easiest is to check it all by hiding in normal hold luggage, take spare clothes as hand luggage and have no problems.! Very Happy
snow report
JasonW wrote:
Smokin Joe, can open, worms everywhere Laughing

Laughing I stand by my earlier suggestion of one "catch-all" sticky thread where we can collate all airport/airline info!
snow conditions
What about ice axes? Very Happy
snow report
erica2004 wrote:

Yes, but BRS are one of the airports who ban ski boots in hand luggage, so no airline can allow them flying from there.
snow conditions
I've been checking the airline and tour operator web sites and its all a bit confusing but I have found this site which appears to relate to thomas cook, thomson, airtours, neilson - i think they're related?

http://www.thomsonski.co.uk/termsandconditions/uc_flightandtransfers.shtml

I've copied the part about boots and skis/snowboards for you all.

Skis, snowboards and boots must be checked into the baggage hold, you may not take them with you into the cabin. Boot bags count towards your overall weight limit on all flights, as do skis on some scheduled flights. On charter flights you may be able, in addition to your checked baggage allowance, to check one pair of skis or a snowboard for each person in the party. Carriage is however limited on many charter flights. Therefore, a charge of £15 for each snowboard or skis is made. It is essential that you advise your travel agent of this at the time of booking. In the unlikely event of your skis or snowboard not arriving in resort for your first day on the snow, our representative will refund your £15. Pre-booked Ski Carriage will be confirmed on your holiday invoice. It is possible, that carriage not pre-booked will be declined by the check-in staff, at which point you will have to arrange for storage at the airport until your return at your own expense. If the airline is able to carry your ski equipment at short notice, a £30 carriage fee will have to be paid at the airport.

NB Ski and snowboard bags must contain skis and snowboards ONLY and should weigh no more than 6 kgs.

My uderstnding of this is you have to pay extra for your skis and ask specifically for ski carriage, boots count as normall hold luggage not hand luggage but must count to your overall weight allowance.

Please dont wear your boots on the plane......... if i see you I'l have to point and laugh at you....... none of us want a scene!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy