Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beeper training (at home)

Poster: A snowHead
Have just purchased a transceiver and would like to be able to familiarize myself with it before going out to resort. Has anyone found a way to do this without splashing out on a second full functioning transceiver? e.g. is it feasible to buy some form of transmitter from an electronics shop that uses the 457khz frequency?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DCG, There were a few diagrams on the net which showed how to make a basic transmitter on that frequency. It just a case of following the wiring and buying the parts from Maplins or similar.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DCG,.....Scarpa, has the right idea.If you have a Maplins nearby,call in and ask.Many of their stores have an electronic geek or two Toofy Grin Try to match the transmit power of your unit or you could get erroneous readings.Too powerful and it could be everywhere or,more likely,too weak and you may not 'see' it until right on top of it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa wrote:
DCG, There were a few diagrams on the net which showed how to make a basic transmitter on that frequency. It just a case of following the wiring and buying the parts from Maplins or similar.

Anyone got links to the diagrams ?

A 457kHz signal generator is easy
However making and tuning the antenna is the hard part!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiest way is to find a fellow snowhead who has one and practise together.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All sHs should wear their beepers to work. We can find each other in lunch hour. That would actually be quite a fun game.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa, Thanks for the suggestion. Will search the web and check out Maplin.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa, excellent idea - but you can also play this game shopping. One snowHead goes into Tescos and buries a beacon in the frozen food section, all the others rush in and then search and dig Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 brian
brian
DCG, you can buy tx only ones to put on your dog (seriously). I'll see if I can find a link ...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, they sell them in Snells in Chamonix but you will get the third degree before they will sell you one.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, Thanks. That would be good - my electronics skills not too hot.

jbob, Thanks, but Chamonix is not close. I understand why they would give you the third degree - not wanting people to go with tx only devices.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DCG,

Some ski resorts have sessions or short courses where you practice using your transceiver. They bury one in the snow and you have to find it.

What type of transceiver have you bought. You should also buy a shovel and probe as well.

If you search the internet you can get good information about using them as well.

As suggested above also get fellow snow heads with transceivers to practice, some SCGB members did this in London last year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
welshflyer, Good point. I used the les Arcs training park last season, good fun and bloody knackering in waist deep snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DCG, I work with two electronic engineers, both have said its dead easy to make up a circuit for a basic transmitter and they'd sketch something out for me in a lunchtime.

That was two years ago, still waiting.

If you find a circuit, let me know.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
DCG, struggling to find an online source but you could try these guys, the barryvox s2 is the kind of thing ...

http://www.girsberger-elektronik.ch/media/documents/PP_PRINT_0809.pdf
ski holidays
Quote:

DCG, you can buy tx only ones to put on your dog (seriously)

I can understand using one for ferreting or using terriers to flush rabbits from a warren or something but anyone that puts 457 on dogs anywhere near snow.... I cannot imagine how annoyed I would be in a multiple burial situation to dig up a dog first.

With that in mind one thing you might want to check out are ferret and terrier finders made by Deben or Bellman and Flint. I'm not sure what frequency the Deben ones transmit on but the Bellman and Flint uses 457 (they sell it with the Pieps DSP). The Ortovox D1 is another option in this field http://en.ortovox.com/transceiver/ddoggy.html.
snow report
brian, Thanks for finding that site. Looks interesting. Not sure how much the d-i-y route would cost, but 52 euros isn't bad for a finished product. Your earlier post reminded me that when I did my initial research to seek out reviews of the various products I came across some websites that used transceivers for putting on terriers - presumably in case they ended up stuck down fox holes. I didn't bother with it at the time and can't now remember the names of the sites - but think it might have been some club in cumbria.

welshflyer, Thanks for the suggestions. I've done a number of these courses - particularly the excellent ones run by Henry's Avalanche Talk in Val d'Isere - and have previously been supplied with transceivers when on off piste holidays. In the past I've mostly used Ortovox (and think these are good devices) and was reasonably familiar with those, but following a look at the reviews decided to opt for a Pieps DSP. I realise it's more complex to use so I want to practice a bit before I get out to resort - hence the original post.
snow report
gorilla, Thanks for that tip. Have found the Bellman & Flint site which sells the dog collars for £80. Circuit boards are half that price. I may keep looking for something cheaper.
Interestingly, googling the Barryvox S2 brought me to another SH thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=4259 which has just been revived and is on the same basic topic.
snow conditions
DCG, keep your eye on ebay for an older transmitter. I got a Pieps DF a few months ago for £25, perfect for training....
ski holidays
DCG,

Henry did courses at Sandbanks, Poole this year and on a suffolk beach last year. I keep asking him to do one in London but he can't find a suitable venue ie. an area of sand to bury a transceiver in.

Where do you live? If you're in London why don't we ask on this forum if anyone else wants to set something up. I reckon a wood would be suitable because you could hide a transceiver under the fallen leaves (may be too late if all of the leaves have been blown away).
ski holidays
http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mblarows/ELEC499/documents/ELEC499_Final_Report-r1.pdf

Page 29 of this pdf has a circuit diagram for a transmitter...
snow conditions
philw, Thanks for the e-bay suggestion. There are a few there at the moment, but maybe a bit overpriced. As far as the circuit diagram goes: thanks for the suggestion, but I think this is way beyond me.
snow report
welshflyer wrote:
Where do you live? If you're in London why don't we ask on this forum if anyone else wants to set something up. I reckon a wood would be suitable because you could hide a transceiver under the fallen leaves (may be too late if all of the leaves have been blown away).

There was a snowHeads transceiver session in Richmond Park a couple of years ago. Bleeps were buried under the leaves. It was a good opportunity to see how several different models compared, and there was an informal presentation from the UK importers of BCA kit.

I did a BASI course in Aviemore earlier this year. Transceivers were buried under the heather - seemed to work well, although not quite the same as wading through knee deep snow looking on a steep slope!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Page 29 of this pdf has a circuit diagram for a transmitter...

yup - but if you read the whole document they never managed to design a working antenna.
so it wont work as it stands...

any RF engineers with ideas of how to build a simple antenna ? (that doesnt require lab equipment to tune!)
ski holidays
you would think that for not much money and complexity you could knock something together for 'training only' purposes

I could see why a manufacturer would not want to do it but I bet someone with the right knowledge could put something together for around £10
snow report
welshflyer wrote:
DCG,

Henry did courses at Sandbanks, Poole this year and on a suffolk beach last year. I keep asking him to do one in London but he can't find a suitable venue ie. an area of sand to bury a transceiver in.

I'd be up for meeting up with a bunch of internet weirdo's in the woods one day - I promise to show you mine if you'll show me yours wink

Better be quick though as I'm going away on about the 10th dec..
snow report
bertie bassett, there's a good avalanche training park in Les Arcs. Much more realistic for search techniques than an autumn day in your local park.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
bertie bassett, there's a good avalanche training park in Les Arcs. Much more realistic for search techniques than an autumn day in your local park.

I had read about it, and will be booking myself in for a sesh. top of the transarc isn't it?

Couldn't resist the opportunity for a cheap pun however...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, yes, top of the TransArc. It's free to use, and you just turn up and have a go. You decide how many transceivers you want to find and how many minutes you will have to find them off you go. Of course, nobody would be so mean as to come and stand at the entrance to the Park with a transmitting bleep, would they...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd also be interested in a training session in the London area. can bring 2 Trackers.
Anyone interested in sorting this out?
snow conditions
hamilton,

I would have been. However, with the snow that has just fallen in the alps this weekend I will probably be go skiing in 2 weeks time and I won't have the time to organise a transceiver training session.

Why don't you start a new subject in this section and in Snow Events. I suggest you just name a date, time and place and see what response you get. If you try to get everyones agreement you'll be waiting until the end of January.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
bertie bassett, yes, top of the TransArc. It's free to use, and you just turn up and have a go. You decide how many transceivers you want to find and how many minutes you will have to find them off you go. Of course, nobody would be so mean as to come and stand at the entrance to the Park with a transmitting bleep, would they...

It's best if you slowly ski round it Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy