Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone recommend ski poles?

Poster: A snowHead
Have just been asked by my mum what i want for Xmas. Told her a new pair of ski poles. Now i am wandering which poles i want!! Any one have any recommended?
Alu or composite carbon
longer or shorter?

5ft 10
60:40 on piste
pretty aggressive

cheers Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bamboo, light biodegradable and easy to find yours! wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
great, i'll get it out of the shed and cut the appropriate length. suppose that a flwoer pot on the end will work as a basket
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Indeed! and a bit of old twine for the tops to stop you losing your precious poles, go and spend €25 in the bar!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seriously though I am thinking of getting these in the blue or red, bargain! http://cgi.ebay.fr/BATONS-SKI-POLES-NEUF-DYNASTAR-SCORPION-BLUE-115-CM_W0QQitemZ130269729695QQihZ003QQcategoryZ93328QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheap aluminium poles. A pole is a pole, why spend silly money on something which does the exact same job as a cheap one? Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
empinky,

If your mum is generous enough get some carbon fibre poles. They are very light and will give slightly when you plant them in solid ice (avoid "tennis elbow"). They bend but don't stay bent like metal. They are not cheap but will last for ages, I've had mine for more than 10 years (over 30 weeks sking).

I bought "Goode" poles which have adjustable length, replaceable straps and baskets.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Leki poles.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
empinky, how about these? Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42917

i will even throw in free delivery wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
K2 composite poles are good value
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
empinky, depends what you are planning to do. Carbon poles do feel better to me that standard ally ones, and perhaps the reduced wind resistance helps get posture forwards. If you are going to consider touring - you will want adjustable ones. If you spend much time in powder you need decent baskets.

You will find a very nice pair in Wengen - one left somewhere half-way down a bit of off-piste below the Eiger north face - and the other left at Kleine Scheidegg in frustration.... Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

perhaps the reduced wind resistance helps get posture forwards

stoatsbrother, glad you said "perhaps" there....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Mrs picked up a pair of Leki poles in T K Maxx for £10 last week Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mark_s, I think you should refer to your signature after that comment! wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roger C, will pass on that thanks!! Free delivery would have been good however.
ski holidays
Kaiser, as a poor impoverished student rolling eyes I don't have the money to replace carbon fibre poles when I inevitably snap one. And I fail to see the logic of paying more for something which is less durable but otherwise does the exact same job NehNeh
snow report
mark_s, Naturally i pity your impecunious status, but I think €29 is pretty cheap, and I have never yet managed to snap one, alhtough I have tried hard and will continue to do so, so Razz back at yer!
snow report
mark_s, I had a carbon pair last 10 years and 30 weeks till I lost them. Before that I bent lots of ally ones.
latest report
totally irresponsible of me to suggest this, but if your mums feeling generous & you're over 18, then how about a hip flask ski pole ? perfect for those long,slow chairlifts on cold days & bound to be a conversation piece. Always wanted one myself ( a pair would be even better ) but have yet to persuade anyone to buy them for me .......
latest report
never seen a hip flask ski pole sounds interesting however see great potential to drop pole whilst trying to swig out of pole of long cold chair!! wink
latest report
empinky, yup, & the price they are you'd certainly make some effort to find them - even more so if they were still full !! Have only seen them in use once & that was when I found myself next to a couple of aged austrians on a long chair ride - spent the whole ride wreathed in schnapps fumes ( no, they didn't offer me any !) and had to stop at the next bar to get over it !

don't know how to do the link business, but check out the Leki - Hot Shot Brandy pole under Ski Equipment - 'Poles' at www.theski-shop.co.uk
ski holidays
empinky, get scotts. any of them, doesnt matter.
snow conditions
Surely you want poles that match your outfit wink Very Happy
ski holidays
You don't want poles that are too bendy. Last year Tom from Warren Smith's Ski Academy was telling us the horror story of a bendy pole almost cutting off someone's calf muscle in an accident. Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

I've had mine for more than 10 years (over 30 weeks sking).

I've had mine for over 15 years, including 6 seasons skiing. They were "free" with a bargain pair of skis in "Go Sport" in Caen and they're certainly not carbon fibre either. Can't remember what make they are, but they're blue. As were the skis. wink

empinky, maybe your Mum could get something more useful like great gloves, or goggles?
snow report
I have the Leki titanlite poles - they have the leki trigger grip handles which fit very snugly round your hand and unclip with a press of the top of the pole - this is really handy on pomas as you don't have all the palaver of rethreading your straps over your gloves - you just clip them back on. Also useful if you have small hands as you don't end up with a wodge of strap to hold onto.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy