Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Change of ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a bit of advice please. We were booked for a ski holiday in Borovets for the New Year however the tour operator has changed our booking to Bansko, Vihren Palace Ski & Spa Resort.

As we have not been to Bansko before can anyone who has visited this ski resort give us any info please on either the resort or the hotel?

Thanks Loads
Al* Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Liddledevils, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about getting a refund a going somewhere decent Toofy Grin

Oh welcome to snowHead Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Liddledevils, Try asking on the forum of this site http://www.skidvd.co.uk/forum/index.php most people who post on there are in the know when it comes to BG resorts. welcome to snowHead by the way.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Liddledevils, i hope you like Q-ing with 10,000 savage slavs who don't Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bones wrote:
How about getting a refund a going somewhere decent Toofy Grin

very succinct wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think we would need to know your ski experience level. Bulgaria can be just fine for beginners or less-experienced people.

snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A little harsh Red - they're not all Slavs.

We really enjoyed our New Year's trip to Bansko Dec '06/ Jan '07, but the morning gondola queue was the major downside.

Here are some extracts from a report that I posted on http://www.bulgariaski.com/ - a site I found useful when planning the trip.

Snow conditions weren't great, but runs at the top of the mountain were ok - 2nd week skiers were using Red 11 (in better condition than Blue 3 but that was also open), Reds 2 & 4 were more challenging but OK down to the bottom of the top chair lift. After that you were picking your way through rocks and tree stumps.

The mid week snow opened up Blue 10 which made it easier to get down the mountain without having to use a lift. Only got tricky at the end where it meets the bottom of Red 4, but they were working very hard with the snow cannons to keep this ski-able.

Reds 7 and 8 were well served by the snow cannons all week, but were crowded and did ice up. Red 8 is the one served by the T bar that you see on the web cam.

The bottom half of the black was open all week, again with the help of the cannons.

Artificial snow on the ski road meant that you could ski home at the end of the day. This got crowded and icy at times, but the 2nd week skiers in our party were fine.

Lifts Open - I think it was 11 out of the 13 listed on banskoski.com. The 3 man chairs didn't operate all week. The ski map we had in resort showed another red on the far side of the ski road but that was closed, as were the two reds off the mid station on the gondala.

Biggest problem of the whole holiday was the queue for the gondola in the morning. At least an hour in a very uncomfortable "queue" if you wanted to make it up the mountain for 10am ski school. If you have the choice wait until after 12 and ski through to 5:30. Queues for the other lifts on the mountain weren't too bad, and after 3pm were pretty much non-existant.

Perun Hotel was great. Very comfortable, indoor and outdoor pools, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, pool, table tennis, games room, internet access... Kids were easily entertained allowing parents to eat and drink in peace.
Breakfasts very popular - egg & bacon, omlettes, pancakes all cooked to order. Evening buffet was OK and worked well with kids - would have eaten out more if we were on our own.
Frequent minibus service to the gondala.
Only minor issue was the queue to checkout on the last morning (but mid-day checkout was much appreciated)

Recommended bars and restaurants

- Happy End near the gondala was fine for the last night party - good live band.
- Friendly Pub (on walk between hotel and gondala) had an extensive family friendly menu.
- My wife and I escaped for a meal out on our own, and enjoyed a cellar restaurant (also found on the walk towards the gondala).

Money exchange - Best to take a few Levs and plenty of Sterling. No problems exchanging money in the hotel or at the gondala and rates much better than the UK. e.g. 2.8 while we were there vs. 2.6 at Gatwick.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alan G, Oh hello Mate - I bow to your greater knowledge of these strange Eastern Areas - I prefer places that begin with V wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy