Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre-Christmas openings/facilities

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're going skiing somewhere for a week from the 13th December, like we do every year. We'll wait and see where the snow is before booking, but all being well there's going to be lots of choice this year.

But we've found there seem to be two types of resorts when it comes to early season skiing:
1. Open every lift/piste there is snow for, just like a peak week (Espace Killy; Kitzbuhel)
2. Only open some of the resort because there aren't so many people. Wait until Christmas week before you really get going. If the snow is poor, 'save up' some of the pistes for the Christmas hordes (Davos, Zermatt).

In both Davos and Zermatt there were plenty of runs & lifts that were closed the week we were there, that opened the following week even with no more snow falling and no snow cannons on the runs. In contrast, we had a spectacular pre-xmas week in Kitzbuhel a few years ago with basically everything open. Even then, the free bus didn't start running in the town until the 24th December, there was a lot of walking required.

So this year we want to go somewhere we haven't been before, if there's snow. We're looking at St Anton or Alp d'Huez. I'm slightly worried that hotel prices call that week 'pre season' in St Anton. Do you know how they treat their early season customers?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frances, Sorry, I don't know about either ADH or St Anton, but La Plagne was fully open that week last year. I'm pretty sure the same is true for Les Arcs but I think I'm right in saying the Vanoise Express is not expected to open until the 20th Dec, so the full Paradiski may not be accessibly from each side that week. Of course, you didn't actually ask that.. but thought I'd mention it anyway.. rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
See http://www.chamberyflights.co.uk/blog/weather-snow-conditions/80cm-snow-forecast-french-alps/#more-513 for details of opening dates for French resorts in the Tarentaise and a summary of www.snow-forecast.com 's predictions for big snow in the area this weekend. It looks like we're going to have a great start to the season. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frances, St Anton officially opens next weekend. I've not been at that time of year but I'm sure they'll open up everything that is skiable. Check with the tourist office for further clarification http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/ViewPage.asp?Site=STANTON2-WINTER&PageID=206&lang=201 The season's first major storm is expected tomorrow and lasting for a good few days anyway. They've even started using the snow cannons as it's now cold enough. SO there should be enough snow.
The Mooserwirt are having their annual opening party that weekend of 12th Dec (televised etc http://www.mooserwirt.at/ ) I would not worry about the hotel prices being listed as pre season - this will mean cheaper prices Smile
Can't comment on AdH as I've never been but guarantee that the apres will be much better in St Anton.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went to Lech the week before Christmas last year and have just booked to go again this year. Can't remember any of the lifts not being open in Lech/St. Anton and the buses were running. I think some of the buses run more frequently from Christmas onwards but it certainly didn't make any difference to us. Have been to Alpe d'Huez three times but not before Christmas. Both areas have great skiing but I would go for Austria.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.alpedhuez.com/hiver/fr/28/14/ouverture-pistes---remontÉes.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St Moritz were advertising on the radio this eve that they're opening this weekend
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frances,

Generally speaking it is the higher altitude resorts (and those with glaciers) that open their lifts the earliest. This is becuase they will normally get snow earlier than the lower resorts.

When resorts plan to open their lifts they will pick a date when they expect to have sufficient snow because they start incurring costs from that date because their lift attendants have to be paid.

Some resorts will only open some of their lifts before the middle of December because there not be many paying skiers in the resort.

The way to be sure is look at the resort webcams (at resort level not the top of the mountain) and the resort websites will also tell you how many lifts are actually open once they have "officially opened" the resort.

It is currently snowing at resort level in both St Anton and Val D'Isere, Im sure it is now snowing in many ski resorts. There is also a forecast of snow all over the UK and the lifts are always open on our dry ski slopes and snow domes.

Here's to another great ski season just around the corner, for me 23 days to go.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're off to Meribel on 5th Dec for lift opening on 6th. Conditions same time last year were fantastic and look to be going the same way this year - snow is currently at 70 cm up top with another 30cm+ due by the end of the week. Lift passes are heavily discounted before 20th Dec - 6 day pass for entire 3 Valleys is 157.50 euros, after the 20th it is 225 euros. Obviously a lot less for a Meribel Valley pass.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy