Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves with "whalebone" inserts on back. Why?

Poster: A snowHead
In TK Maxx, I was admiring a very nice pair of Goretex gloves. However, they had a very bizarre feature. Over the back of the hands, between the wrist and the start of the fingers, was a piece of reinforcing - probably 5" by 1.5" - just like the "whalebone" that would support a boned dress.

Why? What was the point of it? Other than to be uncomfortable.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
to clear your googles................like a windscreen wiper
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last, maybe wrist protectors? Some snowboarding gloves have built in wrist protection to save having a separate piece of clutter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
James the Last, Gloves used for slalom racing have similar to protect the hands from hitting the poles.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus, you've obviously never danced with a girl wearing dress with whalebone!

pam w, I guess so, thanks, although it looked more as though it was to deal with impact protection, rather than providing support.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For those in C21: 5"x1.5" is approximately 130mm x 40mm.

Actually, I would be surprised at anybody in Britain using inches these days, were it not for Mrs a still doing so. But then she is a granny. Are inches still taught in British schools?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, Be surprised then Smile We still work in inches at work Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
James the Last, 5" x 1.5"? you have big hands...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah take me back to schooldays and corporal punishment delivered with the Ferule (sp?) a length of whalebone around 12" (30cm to you achilles, wink ) and covered with leather.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bones, strewth. What work is that? Repairing penny farthings?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:
Bones, strewth. What work is that? Repairing penny farthings?

Yes, they recycle them. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geepee, that'd explain it. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah! Slalom; that explains it.

David Murdoch, they were great long gloves with huge great enormous lumps of plastic in them. Serious mountain gloves.

I'm 35, BTW, and happily communicate in inches, feet, yards, miles and mm. The last for where size is crucial; for general conversation, Imperial measurements.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, fascinating. I am of (ahem) a senior generation so can communicate in all that lot - since I was taught them at school. But midway though my engineering training in the 60s we virtually slung Imperial. I thought that nobody under , say, 40 would have been taught Imperial units (which are pretty dire to work with). Where did you learn them?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
James the Last, I think I know what you mean - my brother bought some yesterday. Leki gloves, RRP £99, down to £17.
These have got two flat plastic ribs on the back, and on the front - what first looked like "glove horns" (or so we thought). Turns out when we got home that they actually fit in the palm of your hand, so when you tighten the wrist band, it makes your wrist pretty stiff - obviously as a wrist guard built in.

Lucky, really - he's a beginner so might come in handy Smile

Luckily all this gubbins comes out if you want to take it out or it gets uncomfortable. A bargain, at any rate- superb gloves for the money and the protection built in is a bonus
snow conditions
achilles, >>Where did you learn them?

Does one need to learn them? SI units for Physics, of course. But 6 inches is a much more convenient measure than 15cm; 2 feet trips off the tongue more easily than 60cm. And 60cm, being a precise number, implies a level of accuracy that 2 feet doesn't.

eddyr, The make was snow-something. Snowline I think; £60 to £30, pretty tempted at the time, actually - don't sound like your gloves, just really good warm gloves, long wrists and a funny bit on the back. Wish I'd bought them in retrospect (to go with my £60 Goretex ski trouser mega-bargain, thank you TK Maxx!)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy