Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker Duke vs Marker Baron - Any Difference?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of fitting a pair of Duke's to pair of Volkl Mantras and was wondering if anyone has experience with this binding and if they could give me some feedback on it.

Also, I understand that the Baron is slightly lighter than the Duke, apart from the lower Din setting what are the downsides of the Baron? Which binding would be better for BC, Piste, Off-Piste, Park...?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PowderHunter, please note, I haven't skied either and haven't even seen a Baron in the flesh, as it were.

The Baron is a much more consumer friendly version of the Duke. The Duke was designed for American 'slack country', it is a burly alpine binding that can tour, for strong skiing, fat assed Americans.

The Baron is lighter because it has more plastic parts than the Duke. More plastic = more chance of breaking.

Then again, the Baron only has a DIN of 12, so if you are a low DIN skier the fact that this binding has more plastic should not influence your choice, 'cause you are not going to be breaking it anyway. Trust me.

The only thing that might make me suggest getting a Duke is if you are going to be throwing down hard in the park. In fact, if you are throwing down hard in the park, get the Jester, no question.

In truth if you need a Duke you will know you need a Duke. Save the money and get Barons. Unless you don't plan to do that much skining anyway, get Jesters or Griffons.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just seen the Mantra part. You're not going to be in the park on these anyway.

All you need to think about is how much touring you will do. If the answer is none then both the Duke and the Baron are a rubbish binding choice. If the answer is some, how much? Enough to make it worth while having a bad binding when you are skiing piste or off piste? Or would renting specific touring gear for those few occasions be a better choice for you?

Honestly, would you even bother buying skins? No = don't get Dukes or Barons.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i have dukes and like them very much. however, i would not use them for long or technical tours. they are great for skinning for an hour or so from the top of a lift

dukes versus baron? same sort of question as salomon 916 vs 914. if you need the high DIN you'll know about it. comparative durability is an unknown quantity. you'd expect the duke to be a bit better than the baron because it has more metal in it, but whether it's significant, I don't know

i bought dukes before the baron came out; now i would probably swallow my pride and go for the baron. i usually ski on a DIN of about 10
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thinking about the Baron too but don't see what advantages it would give me over a dynafit setup. More robust for jumps? lower stack heíght?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok, post 3 in an attempt to give you a better answer! Actually Arno has virtually done it for you.

I think I would use Dukes for full day tours because "I'm young, dumb and full of ????" But not for multi day tours, or anything technical. Please know that in the past I have always toured on telemark gear - but even that is changing, I now have Dynafit for long tour stuff and some Naxos that will become Dukes in the future for silly skining.

The fact that you are looking at touring boots makes me think you might skin some on these bindings. Again, how much skining? Are these your only skis? There are bindings that tour better, but not ski down so well once you're up.

Arno wrote:
i bought dukes before the baron came out; now i would probably swallow my pride and go for the baron. i usually ski on a DIN of about 10

This is good advise from a man who skis (alot), is a self confessed gear whore and enjoys high quality products.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
Thinking about the Baron too but don't see what advantages it would give me over a dynafit setup. More robust for jumps? lower stack heíght?

More robust for jumps? Hard to answer, there isn't much plastic in Dydlafits not sure if that makes them more or less robust. They have the same DIN so the hold factor is the same.

Also, what do you mean by jumps? Are you going hucking? Or inevitable drops when out skiing? Lock down the toes of the Dynafits, I know what I'd rather trust. FWIW I have seen people hitting 10,12,15' on Dydlafits no worries.

Lower stack height? Nothing is lower than Dydlafits.

What is the advantage?

Not having to get Dydlafit boots...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor wrote:
Also, what do you mean by jumps? Are you going hucking? Or inevitable drops when out skiing? Lock down the toes of the Dynafits, I know what I'd rather trust. FWIW I have seen people hitting 10,12,15' on Dydlafits no worries.

More "inevitable drops when out skiing" I'm not a hucker although have been called something similar. Wink Never skied dynafits but there just doesn't seem to be much to them, didn't realize they were so sturdy.

parlor wrote:
What is the advantage?

Not having to get Dydlafit boots...

So for someone who is starting from scratch will be doing a significant amount of touring but only wants one pair of boots & skis then a dynafit boot compatible boot (e.g. Garmont Axon / Radium) with dynafit bindings is probably the best option?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
So for someone who is starting from scratch will be doing a significant amount of touring but only wants one pair of boots & skis then a dynafit boot compatible boot (e.g. Garmont Axon) with dynafit bindings is probably the best option?

It's a no brainer if you are spending money to get the Dynafit kit, providing you getting plenty of up hill action.

See my reply in this thread re compatible boots.

I am bored of skining for 6/7 hours to be confronted by poor snow and having to telemark down, so Dynafit is the way I'm going for long / technical tours.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
my choice of baron over duke is based on an assumption that barons are considerably cheaper than dukes and that they turn out to be reasonably durable. if there was only £20 in it I'd go with the duke
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, are they..?? I'd guess £190 against £225 or they are prices I have seen.

I got the Dukes because the jury was still out of the more plastic Barons and the weight save was 150g...so didn't seem worth the chance, however small that may turn out to be.

If I was buying right now....and saw them both in the shop, I'd still go Duke. I doubt I'll get near to breaking it... and ther two products seem too close to call the difference.

Mantra/Baron or Duke equals a go anywhere rig ..it isn't the best at what it can do, but it might just be the best compromise..... but what skins are you after..? wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, haven't really checked prices - if there is one thing i don't need, it's new bindings!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno,

Still haven't streamlined the ski stash then..??? Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, embarassingly, i have more pairs of bindings than skis Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Which Dynafit binding for single and multi-day tours?

Was thinking Dynafit TLT Vertical ST 08/09 (din 10) or Dynafit TLT Vertical FT Z12 08/09 (din 12).

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_48_384_50
latest report
 brian
brian
There's €50 in it at Sport Conrad.

I got Dukes for €208 at Telemark Pyrenees, at the time they weren't selling Barons. Like Arno, my default din is at 10 and I'd have been quite happy to go with the Barons.
snow report
DB, Dynafit TLT Vertical FT for sure.

Very very very few people who normally ski with a DIN less than 10 are going to be breaking the Baron. No way. Save the weight and the money.
snow report
brian,
agree, nobody had a price out on Barons when I was buying.

I've used them on 9 and all was ok... it didn't seem a strong 9 though...???? and I can twist out of that quite easily...which on some other bindings, that is pretty/very hard to do... Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
JT, i've cranked the heel settings on my Dukes a little higher than usual and now they feel just right.
ski holidays
Arno,

I had heard that...so was going to do the same...

To start with I'll go toe at 9 and heel 10..and go from there.
latest report
PowderHunter, did we answer your question? Little Angel
snow report
Thank you to all of you for you input. I guess I should have said the following:

- money no option
- definitely want the Mantra
- like the idea of the wider binding for quicker turn response
- am 14 stone and 5'11"
- Have skied all my life and spent six years of it skiing in Canada

and most importantly

- I want one ski that will allow me to do everything.

Does this change anyone's mind?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy