Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buying the boarding kit in France or UK?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
I'm spending 7 weeks in Chamonix and am going to buy my snowboard and boots etc this year. I wonder whether it's worth going for an ebay secondhand option or buying new/second hand in France when I get there?

Anyone know what the prices are like in Chamonix? I wouldn't be able to spend more than £200 for the whole lot secondhand (a bit more if new) so wouldn't be too fussy on the make etc as i'm not good enough for it to matter anyway!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also anyone know how much it would cost to rent a board and boots for 6 weeks?

PS also I'm 5'9 and 140lbs (10 st) and I've been trying to work out what size board I should have. For example, to my lips is 160cm - but this sounds like a long board. Should I try a 154 or something like that?

Many thanks,

Wendy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wendy

Welcome to snowHead

Assuming you've dones some boarding before then

6 weeks - buy kit don't rent.

The way the £ has moved against the Euro then it's likely/possibly that you can get the kit cheaper in the UK.

Personally I would buy new boots as I wouldn't want to wear boots someone else has sweateed into (ok so that happens with hire boats) then see if you can find a decent rig on fleabay. Speak to a mate that boards for recommendations.

I'd suggest 160 is perhaps too long. I ride 161 at probably your height but I'm a lot heavier...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wend, I have a 159 board for sale if that's of any use - 100€, no bindings. Can't remember the model details, but I'll go up and have a look if you're interested. I concur with Bertie - go for new boots, then spend what's left on whatever board you can afford.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wend, Hi Wend!
I'm so jealous!
It's really not worth hiring for that length of time. £200 should get you some reasonable gear from ebay. 154 length is about right but do a bit of homework to find out what type of board you need before you bid (for the piste/snowpark/all-mountain etc) Would second bertie bassett, though. Not just for hygeine but its a good idea to get well-fitting boots and you can't try them on on ebay! £100 for boots new, £100 for board and bindings 2nd hand is the way I'd go. Have a great time!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wend,

I would not buy second hand boots... I got a cheap salomon pair (£69 down from £99) from Decathlon (plenty of those shops in France) which I tried on so new they fitted nicely.
Hardware: no probs at all with second hand/Ebay (with the usual precautions), but again if you spend some time shopping on the net you can find cheap stuff...

If you're not fussy on brands and just want cheap I would go with Decathlon again (their first price board is £69, I even paid £49 cause mine was from the previous year) and bindings as cheap as £29)..all in one shop you can come back to if there are issues...

It might be harder to get bargaiasn in resort although I am sure it is possible..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wend, lucky you spending 7 weeks in resort Cool
I would agree with all above, definately buy new boots, and most smaller shops (and some main retailers) still have some of last years stock and will sell them a lot cheaper. Who cares if it doenst have this years bit of gold on the side? As for hardware, again, nothing wrong with ebay if you are just looking for something to mess around on.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Who cares if it doenst have this years bit of gold on the side?

... stab
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wend, Have a look here, http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/ last season stock!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kruisler, we can take the wee wee all we want for a week as he is off doing that sensible BASI stuff Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wend, welcome to snowHeads - all that time in cham, you lucky so-and-so Smile

I bought myself one fot hose £180 'starter' kits off ebay before i'd even had a lesson and even though the quaity was okay (the board was excellent) I did regret not looking a bit closer at the gear there was for that little bit more.

Go with the concensus of buying new boots – the most important thing to buy. A 2nd-hand pair of boots (if they've been used for a few weeks) just won't feel right. You can get cheap boots from last season in most shops.

There's nothing wrong with used boards. I have two and they're both brilliant. My Stepchild 159, although a bit dinked and scratched, was only £30 and runs like a dream when waxed. Same with my £40 Elan 157 – that had a week in Les gets early this years and trumped the rental board my mate had. He spent a good £140 renting and wished he'd bought a used one!

I gave up trying to calculate the right size board. [b]Masque[b/] is pretty knowedgeable about board sizings but IMO, for your size, something like a 156 would be fine. My missus is 5' 4" and she ride a 151, which is perfect, but I'm 6' 3" and I ride a 157 and 159 - it's all about what feels right.

My way of thinking was go short for jibbing, quick turns and park stuff but lose speed; go long for massive speed and razzing it through deeper snow but sacrifice mobility for tricks etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a Santa Cruz board in good nick without bindings il do you for £75.00 plus the delivery. That will get you started! Its a 158. let me know if your interested. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OOOOOOOO Hello guys!

Thanks so much for all the help! I haven't checked this forum for ages I thought people would laugh at me for having so little cash to spend!
I am so lucky to be going for 7 weeks Cool !

As it happens I tried to buy new boots but they haven't arrived yet and I had to get my money back in case they never arrive and I'm off soon!!! Sad oh well!
I picked out the F20 Salomon boots but they were a tad too squashy on my toes and so I ordered a .5 size bigger.... Maybe if they arrive tomorrow I could get them special delivery but that's about it!

I think it's too late for ebay now - I haven't done ANY research on the board I want- basically revising for exams up to a week ago! And then working like crazy to earn some £'s for my trip!

I will contact if you have mentioned you have a board for sale - perhaps if you are close by I could even pick up.

Best wishes merry christmas whoop whoop hope you all get some wicked time out on the piste this season!

Can't wait!

Wend
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dave_wick wrote:
I have a Santa Cruz board in good nick without bindings il do you for £75.00 plus the delivery. That will get you started! Its a 158. let me know if your interested. Very Happy

Ok can't work out how to message people!

Dave can you give me some info on the board am interested!

Wend
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
wend, I have a 159 board for sale if that's of any use - 100€, no bindings. Can't remember the model details, but I'll go up and have a look if you're interested. I concur with Bertie - go for new boots, then spend what's left on whatever board you can afford.

Hello Lizzard!

Where are you in the alpes and is your board still for sale!

Wend
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wend, I'm in 2Alpes. Board is still for sale - it's a Salomon Forecast, used but in good condition, no repairs, dings, or nasty gouges.
ski holidays
Hi Lizzard,

Ok will message you again when I arrive if I haven't found anything in Cham. Many thanks, Wendy : )
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy