Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Completely unknown resorts

Poster: A snowHead
There should be a scoring system for this thread - most points for bigger and relatively accessible areas that are still pretty unknown.
I think Solda (mentioned above) scores pretty highly on that basis
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/sulden-am-ortler-solda-allortles/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Misurina, Italian Dolomites. 3 lifts. Had my first ever ski holiday there in the mid 70's, and ended up in the chest hospital that is still there with pneumonia.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Misurina
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sunnapee in New Hampshire
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jedster wrote:
There should be a scoring system for this thread - most points for bigger and relatively accessible areas that are still pretty unknown.

I’m not sure it counts as relatively accessible. The only airports within 4 hours appear to be INN and VRN. Admittedly I don’t think I could fly into VRN when I investigated a holiday there. Looks a good area. Mike Pow has done a TR
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
good thread.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Resorts??

Does that not take away the Free spirit of Skiing/Riding????
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
what...snow wrote:
jedster wrote:

I’m not sure it counts as relatively accessible. The only airports within 4 hours appear to be INN and VRN. Admittedly I don’t think I could fly into VRN when I investigated a holiday there. Looks a good area. Mike Pow has done a TR

I also wrote a trip report a few years before Mike but his is good. I actually went for a long weekend from INN. I think it was about 2.5- 3 hours drive and beautiful but could be difficult in bad weather.
It's definitely relatively accessible compared to Iran or even Idaho!

Quiet and HIGH with lots of long accessible off piste and some brilliant ski touring options. They were very surprised to see Brits there!
Recommended.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La pinilla (segovia), about a hour and a bit north of madrid, apparently spains oldest ski resort. Did a day there when i lived in madrid, nice runs when there is snow, €35 a day. Currently closed due to lack of snow
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
freeridechef wrote:
La pinilla (segovia), about a hour and a bit north of madrid, apparently spains oldest ski resort. Did a day there when i lived in madrid, nice runs when there is snow, €35 a day. Currently closed due to lack of snow

I've done a days skiing in Navacerrada which is also an hour north of Madrid.

3 chair lifts. 450m vertical

Not bad entertainment for 1 day.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In 1997 I skied at Bakuriani in the then recently-former Soviet Republic of Georgia. At the time Georgia was on its knees and nothing worked. The resort was closed but a local managed to find us some skis and boots and we had to climb up the mountain in order to ski. Later on we managed to get hold of a snowmobile so that made getting up a lot easier. In the afternoon the edges literally fell off my skis. Very happy memories.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about Orlovka, Kyrgyzstan? This is where l first tried to ski as a child
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Used to work in Switzerland and visited a super little resort called Melcht see Frucht. You could only get to it in a cable car in the late nineties.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are roughly 6,000 ski resorts worldwide today.

Most folks will only ever know about, or ski, less than 100 of those (2%).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Piani di Bobbio, near Lake Como has about 27km of pistes. Our ski club has been there for race training a couple of times during February half term and it's wonderfully quiet. Lovely ski in/ski out accommodation and amazing value for money.

Crevacol, in the Aosta Valley, on the way to the Gran S Bernardo tunnel has about a dozen pistes. It was used as the venue for the Anglo Scottish ski races a few times, though at least one year the event was moved as the slopes are south facing and didn't have enough snow.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bella2015 wrote:
How about Orlovka, Kyrgyzstan? This is where l first tried to ski as a child

I was reading through this and wondered if anyone had mentioned Chimbulak near Almaty next door.
latest report
@Orange200, l should have mentioned it , as actually l grew up in Almaty!
latest report
https://www.cervinia.it/en/inverno/home-chamois

Chamois, its at the start of the cervina valley. Its tiny and only accessible by cable car which they also use to move the cows up and down. Its tiny but lovely.
Great beginner area.
snow report
boardstupid wrote:
La Contamine. ...
I learned to snowboard there many years ago. If I remember rightly it was a sleepy little village in the foothill of Mt.Blanc.
It has dissapeared off the radar in terms of brouchure listings.. Puzzled

Anyone else been there or got a links to the village? I would love to go back one day..

Still there https://www.lescontamines.com/winter
snow report
My other entry- a little Mount Hermon in Israel. Ski there in the morning, drive down to the beach in the afternoon:)
snow report
i could write a list of many resorts in Greece...maybe better whole Greece for skiing
i will put only one
https://mainaloski.gr/
ski holidays
Noone, at all, will know- obviously
latest report
skribble wrote:
Used to work in Switzerland and visited a super little resort called Melcht see Frucht. You could only get to it in a cable car in the late nineties.

Do you mean Melchsee-Frutt? Very Happy

Pleasant little central Switzerland resort with 16 lifts and around 40km of pistes. Went there for the day once from Engelberg.
snow conditions
rachelharrisonsmith wrote:
Piani di Bobbio, near Lake Como has about 27km of pistes. Our ski club has been there for race training a couple of times during February half term and it's wonderfully quiet. Lovely ski in/ski out accommodation and amazing value for money.

Seems like a long way to go from London.
Have you skied San Primo?
latest report
@davidof, it is a long way to go for a regular race session! We've only skied these resorts as we've gone for a specific reason (one of our coaches is from near Piani) and we've not been to San Primo, but seeing these resorts, knowing what something like the Magic Pass gives you access to and reading about these other places hardens my resolve for a winter touring these areas in a camper van. It's a few years off, but close enough to start day dreaming.....
snow conditions
jedster wrote:

This. I mean, Spain alone has 30-odd ski areas, and the French Pyrenees more still. There has to be some criteria other than reeling off a list of the world's many thousands of ski areas. Obviously, having actually been there is the most obvious criteria and one that's been pretty much followed so far, so that's something at least.

To that end, I propose two other obvious criteria:

1. You would genuinely recommend that somebody who lived within a couple of hours' drive to visit it (with bonus points if you'd recommend someone to go out of their way to do so)

2. The resort holds a special record for something, e.g. the smallest in the area, the biggest in the area, the most terrain for the fewest lifts, the best food, the most unusual views, .......
ski holidays
My eldest learned at La Covatilla near Salamanca. It’s 4.5 hours drive each way from us, and frequently closed as there’s not enough snow or too much so the access road gets blocked. At least it has webcams for us to plan.

A decent practice slope if you’re less than 2 hours away, and it’s open.
latest report

Mt Eyak in Cordova, AK. Has the world's oldest operating chair lift, incredible ocean views, and incredible back country access. 2 pistes, plenty of tree skiing
latest report
@dongshow, cool little town, I was there in 2006 and went out to see the Child’s Glacier
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still not seen a mention for......... so its about time Axalp!
latest report
Vals, CH. In the back of beyond, on the way to nowhere. But worth the effort of getting there.

Threatened by development, so get there while you can.
ski holidays
espri wrote:
@cc_7up, thanks for awakening this thread again. Reading through it brought back pleasant memories. I skied at Aschau several times when I lived nearby in Marquartstein and it was always a good day's skiing.

Sadly my photos from Schwendt seem to have been deleted from the snowMedia Zone. I didn't do it.

Jet 2 have cheap flights UK/Salzburg. The 28 mile Train journey from Salzburg to Aschau (via Prien) costs about £15 and the Aschau Lift Pass is about £19 per day. There is accommodation close to the Main Ski Lift (near 'Hohenaschau Castle') and there are buses from near the Train Station to the Main Ski Lift at 'Hohenaschau'...

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Germany/Chiemgau_Aschau_snow.

http://youtube.com/v/A5mPCWYphTg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-09-20 9:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
A few weeks ago my wife and I went to Les Marecottes which is a small Swiss resort near Martigny. Only a couple of lifts but about 500m of vertical drop and a decent number of different and varied ways down. A nice restaurant too with great views. It's one of the Magic Pass resorts so is clearly not wholly unknown but I certainly wasn't aware of it until quite recently. If you have a Magic Pass and are in the area it's certainly worth a visit.
snow conditions
arnoldstein
snow report
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/jun/28/it-opened-my-eyes-lesotho-ski-resort-goes-off-piste-to-keep-workers

An interesting read.
snow report
Brian Head, Utah. One of my favourite ever places that I stumbled upon completely by accident 5 years ago. There is a trip report if you do a search. Stunning place and the most friendly people I’ve ever met
ski holidays
Kvamskogen, Norway
snow report
quite a nice little place ...turn left before you get to Les Gets
https://en.prazdelys-sommand.com/
snow conditions
@DaveD, dammit, that's one of my favourite not well known resorts, now you've told everyone. Please delete this post immediately! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@DaveD, @MikeM, was always one of our favourites when we lived in Les Gets, used to have a season ticket there as well as PDS. As far as we are aware the road up there from the Taninges side still looks to be closed for repair. Major job going on. But pleased to be enlightened further.
snow conditions
@Pamski, Unfortunately, its now been 3 seasons since I've been able to get there. There was a lot of work going on at that time but traffic was getting through... but that was a relatively long time ago. If the Taninges side is closed that would really reduce the number of skiers. I wonder how the various shops, restaurants have fared. It would be very sad indeed to hear that some went under due to covid on top of road closures. A really nice resort, very small and French and close enough to the Portes du Soleil and the Grand Massif to easily drive to/from if you want a change from the bigger resorts. I always wondered if it was possible to link it to Les Gets via Mont Chery, which can be seen from Praz, but that might just take its charm away.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy