Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Completely unknown resorts

Poster: A snowHead
RobW wrote:
If you want somewhere which is *really* isolated (in terms of being a long long way from any other ski resort), then Tiffendale is hard to beat: http://www.tiffindell.co.za/

This must be a winner here! I hadn't realised you could ski in South Africa. And it must be one of the most exclusive resorts too, with accommodation for only 116 visitors. Is there only the one lift?

Here's another link, with a video clip. http://www.encounter.co.za/article/223.html.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bertie bassett wrote:

There's a shed load of places in france/austria where there's a tow and a couple of runs. For example - I'm going to go here for an 1/2 day this season

Did you go?
One day I will,..... but I have also said that about La Ros snowHead

The link has changed http://graniersavoie.free.fr/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 11-06-09 12:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sudelfeld/Bayerischzell just a few kilometres above the A8 and A93 near Rosenheim Germany. Along with Spitzingsee-Tegernsee, Lengries, Brauneck, Wallberg (great toboggan piste from the top) and Zahmer Kaiser in Austria, they make up the Alpen Plus ski region in Upper Bavaria. all quite good ski resorts, rather than just "hills". I skied Sudelfeld a lot this year as we had excellent snow cover all season and it is only 20 minutes drive from where I live! Toofy Grin

Reit in Winkl in Espri's back yard - more known for cross-country but has some downhill as well as being "linked" with the Steinplatte-Waidring regions. Aschau in Chiemgau, skiing on the Kampenwand which is the castellated mountain you pass on your way to the Salzburg regions above Chiemsee.

How about the Wendelstein - got a funicular railway, cable car and some drag lifts and a monstrous black run down from the top Very Happy

There are loads in the Alps which locals know and use, but TOs in the UK never look at. Most of the WC skiers start their careers in such places in the local ski clubs - in my village we have 3 skiers in the German A team and we only have a chairlift and cable car - not even a drag lift!

Very Happy Very Happy NehNeh
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, Very true. Mrs RH learnt to ski on a tiny hill and did well in a previous life skiing!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Angle Fire and also Red River, both in New Mexico, US. Great little areas and only locals.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Knowledge, like beauty, is probably in the eye of the beholder. Back in January I hadn't mentioned the areas near me that Samerberg Sue just listed because I thought they were all "quite" well-known. But that probably is only to folk living in the area.

Another interesting area which I forgot to mention last time is the Hochfelln, just off the Munich-Salzburg autobahn. There isn't a great deal of skiing there but the one main run is steep and interesting. I tried to have a day there this winter but then found that the cable-car only runs Fri, Sat and Sun and missed out.

There is also quite pleasant skiing in Ruhpolding on the Unternberg. As far as I know, the runs on the other Ruhpolding mountain, the Rauschberg, aren't prepared any more, and the lifts up the top aren't in operation. The descent via the Rossgasse was always said to be one of the steepest in Germany, mentioned along with the Dammkar at Mittenwald. However, I never managed to try it.

There is also good skiing around Berchtesgaden/Königsee, I believe, but I've only been there in the summer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JimSearle wrote:
Solda in Italy

Les Karellis in France

Obersdorf in Germany

Sillian in Austria

Big Mountain in US

Ski Smithers in Canada

Could name loads more...resorts that everyone knows about are highly overated Laughing

First sking was in Obersdorf so knock that off your list wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It has been a few years since I was there but here a few " resorts" I skied in another century.
Hahnenklee, Braunlage, Zellerfeld all in the Harz Mountains in Germany, wonderfull Cake and Jaegermeister after skiing and gluhwein flowing all day, aaaaaaaaah.
Also in Bavaria, Unterjoch, and Oberjoch, they are not relations, and I think if any one knows this monster resort I will be most shocked, unless you live there or was in the American Forces. Blomber near Bad tolz which is the smallest "ski area" I ever went to at about 4 miles of piste. That might be pushing the concept of a resort but all the locals called it the ski resort so therefore it must be one. One last German resort was Neukirchen close to the Czech republic, there were a few in Czech but I could never pronounce there names and I never took my camera for fear of loosing to the border guards, who in the dark days when I went might take advantage of nasty western tourists.

I think some one mentioned Troodos in Cyprus which I managed to ski down the main road from Mt Olympus into Troodos Village about 7 or 8 miles I think, no touring set up, I was on Fischer RC4 sl wearing Raichle Flexon boots and a Elho flourescent suit, Nice!

1 last one I've just remebered was just a mountain near Garmisch-Partenirichen called Vank in German but spelt with a W because thats how they say their W'S, it wasn't vank, I really enjoyed it but it kept a gaggle of British and American squaddies amused for days.
rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, That Really is What it Says
Sadly no longer operating for skiing.

Germany is full of tiny ski hills. the Harz (north-central Germany) and Erzgebirge (northern edge of Czech border region) mountains have loads of one ot two lift hills. The Wurmberg in Braunlage is the largest in Harz, the Fichtelberg in Oberwiesenthal the largest in the Erzgebirge. Neither of these really offer much downhill skiing but have great cross country. They also get absolutely rammed at the weekend (being the only places for a day's skiing for a lot of very large population centers), so up here at least they don't seem all that "unknown".

Oberstdorf is certainly not "unknown" given that it hosts the Four Hills ski jumping every year and regularly hosts the ski flying World Championships.

Two Bavarian areas on my list to visit: Wendelstein in Bayerischzell and the Laber in Oberammergau.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

There's a shed load of places in france/austria where there's a tow and a couple of runs. For example - I'm going to go here for an 1/2 day this season

Did you go?
One day I will,..... but I have also said that about La Ros snowHead

The link has changed http://graniersavoie.free.fr/

No I didn't unfortunately.. I didn't do as much travelling around as I'd anticipated, largely because I broke myself quite a bit towards the end of feb, so doing 60 minutes driving for 2 hours skiing struck me as a little pointless.

As granier is on a s. facing slope then it closes very early too - If I recollect (some friends went there) they'd turned the tow off for good well before Easter.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Petrosani in Romania - and the first place I ever skied on real snow.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=petrosani&ie=UTF8&ll=45.388746,23.462248&spn=0.029506,0.027637&t=h&z=15
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa wrote:
This is a list of ski areas and resorts in Iran:

Dizin
Shemshak
Tochal
Damavand
Abali
Darbandsar
Khor Ski Resort
Khoshaku, (Urmia)
Sahand Ski Resort, (Tabriz)
Kuhrang, (Bakhtiyari)
Kakan, (Yasuj)
Tarik-darreh, (Hamadan)
Alvares, (Ardabil)
Sepidan, Kohkiluyeh
Shahmirzad Ski Resort, Semnan province
Shandiz, Khorasan province
Chelgard, (Shahr-e Kord)

Shemshak looks fantastic but I'm having a job persuading my mates to go... they like to drink their beer openly.

Spent 10 days in Iran in Feb,Tehran and Persiopolis(SP?). Looked at the mountains every day from the hotel room and the drive in to work. It snowed a couple of times we were there and the north of Tehran ground to a halt. Had it all set to ski Tochall on my last day but I messed up my workload and didn't get the day off in the end. Still the add on trip to the relative hedonism of Dubai made up for it in the end.

The people I worked with said there was summer skiing too. Theres an interesting blog somewhere about a Kiwi diplomats wife living in Tehran and skiing in Tochal
Have been promised a return trip but don't know when..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Afriski, Lesotho opening this weekend if enough snow...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ami in berlin,
Quote:
Two Bavarian areas on my list to visit: Wendelstein in Bayerischzell and the Laber in Oberammergau.

Not forgetting the Dammkar in Mittenwald! Fantastic when you get it on a good day. There's just a single cable car going to the top of the Karwendel mountains, followed by a four hundred meter walk through the mountain to the start of the Dammkar.
Follows 5Km of powder heaven! Cool Cool Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rocki wrote:
Blomber near Bad tolz which is the smallest "ski area" I ever went to at about 4 miles of piste.

I've had a few days (and occasional nights) skiing on the Blomberg. Indeed, I did some of my first snowboarding there (and my Father sat around freezing in one very cold winter -about 1984?- while I fell around on the slope).

Rocki wrote:
1 last one I've just remebered was just a mountain near Garmisch-Partenirichen called Vank in German but spelt with a W because thats how they say their W'S, it wasn't vank, I really enjoyed it but it kept a gaggle of British and American squaddies amused for days.
rolling eyes

And I've skied on the fumble too (Laughing Laughing that's not what I wrote - though it may accurately describe my skiing Laughing Laughing ) (sadly closed for skiing, as ami in berlin says). Probably I know a lot of these "American" ski areas in Bavaria because I did a good deal of my skiing with the US Forces when I first came to Germany, as a member of the Munich International Ski Club and the National Ski Patrol System (I did training with the NSPS on the, eh..., Vank).

And thinking back to those days reminds me of going from the AFRC Chiemsee to yet another mini-area, Gschwendt, which was just one T-bar (even smaller than Blomberg!), up the hill from Bernau in Chiemgau. Sort of like a pub with its private T-bar. I was only there once (about 25 years ago) and rather doubt that the lift still operates, although there are still signpost to skilifts in Bernau. Maybe Samerberg Sue and I'll have to explore again next winter.
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
ami in berlin,
Quote:

Not forgetting the Dammkar in Mittenwald! Fantastic when you get it on a good day. There's just a single cable car going to the top of the Karwendel mountains, followed by a four hundred meter walk through the mountain to the start of the Dammkar.
Follows 5Km of powder heaven! Cool Cool Cool
Certainly not forgetting the Dammkar. It's just not on my list because I've already skied it (but sadly not on what you would describe as a "good day")! I've heard the Laber described as a shorter but steeper Dammkar.

Who knows, maybe as the German ski industry declines, more of these small resorts will stop grooming and become "free ride" areas. There used to be grooming and additional lifts on the Dammkar, but it was not profitable. That would certainly be a better outcome than what has happened to the vvank, now only open to walkers in the summer and on holidays.
snow report
ami in berlin, Strangely enough I've never got round to skiing the Laber, so that's got to be on my list as well. Like you found, the Dammkar can also be absolute misery as well as being heaven! I've registered with the lift operator and get 'powder alarms' by e-mail whenever the conditions are good Cool I get powder alarms from the Zugspitze as well, which has turned the Zugspitze into one of my favourite ski areas anywhere!
snow conditions
As listed in a ski mag once Pebble Creek sits in the black hole of ski areas with UT to the S and Jackson and Targhee NE and Sun Valley to the NW, haven't been back in years but a great little local ski area called the Rock by locals and it's said if you can ski here you can go ski anywhere.

Just out of Cokeville WY is a little ski hill that upgraded to a double chair from single seater chairs about a decade ago still regret not buying one of those single seat chairs when they sold them. Definitely a unknown place, as I can't remember the name. Very Happy I think it was Pine Creek.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 20-06-09 16:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Steilhang, sadly it's a bit tough (and expensive) to head down there from Berlin to heed the "Powder Alarms". My one trip to the Zugspitze was also in poor conditions, and I thought the area was absolutely useless. I'd sort of written it off considering how much bother it takes to get up there. It'll never happen, but wouldn't it be cool if they put a cable car in from the Alpspitze to the Zugspitze?
snow report
ami in berlin wrote:

Germany is full of tiny ski hills. the Harz (north-central Germany) and Erzgebirge (northern edge of Czech border region) mountains have loads of one ot two lift hills. The Wurmberg in Braunlage is the largest in Harz...

I visited Braunlage in the Summer of 1987, before German reunification. Back then from the top of the Wurmberg you could see the East German border which was only about a km away, complete with watchtower and guards etc. I seem to recollect that at the top of the Wurmberg there was a cafe and the remains of a disused ski jump (pointing in the direction of the East German side - I guess they didn't get many people wanting to ski jump into East Germany! Toofy Grin ). Does anyone know if the ski jump has been repaired or re-instated following removal of the border?

Edit: Just done an internet search,and according to this the Wurmberg ski jump has obviously been re-instated, it says it's the largest in North Germany! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I remember the Jump, and it looked like, well pretty damm scary really. Like somebody had just thought hey what shall I do this summer? I was there 86 87 88. The Zugspitze holds great memories for me apart from the assent, I managed to ski down once, and had to walk the last mile in mud and muck, fantastic and boy did I drink some beers back at the AFRC that night, well every night really. Confused
ski holidays
Rocki, How did you do that? AFAIK there are few descents from the Zugspitze and most of them bring you down to Ehrwald. All of then are extreme and require some abseiling! It may be possible to ski down to Reintal, but that route is so avalanche prone that few people do it!
snow report
The ski jump in Braunlage as it currently appears:
Old School Wooden Jump
Ski Jump through the Trees
Ski Jump on a Grey Background
They hold regular competitions there at whatever level is just below the world cup circut (CIS Cup, I think).

There were plans to put in a gondola and cut some trails down the east side of the Wurmburg to connect with Schierke, but those have been shelved. I've heard Germans suggest that if it had not been for that whole cold war, seperated Germany thing, there would today be a large ski area spanning the Wurmburg and Brocken (highest mountain in northern Germany). Of course the border ran right between the two, and the East Germans made their side a nature reserve (more like a military reserve in reality). That status still covers Brocken, so no further development is possible. I go cross country skiing there from time to time, but never downhill.

Rocki, do you mean the Riffelriess trail, where you get off the cog-wheel train at the middle station and ski down to the Eibsee? Or do you mean throwing yourself down this:
Zugspitze from the Grubigstein Mountain
If the latter, you have my eternal respect. Didn't the old cable car from Ehrwald make an intermediate stop?
ski holidays
I remember walking in the Harz mountains on my own just before unification and was already aware of the Braunlage ski jump and could occasionally see it on one of the walks I did, whilst on that walk I came across another sizable ski jump the had fallen into disuse amongst the forest - don't know if that one still exists as well. However shortly after that a siren went off, at the time I thought it was some sort of nuclear attack warning, it seemed to go on for ages and I realised near the end of it that it must have been a noon day siren of some sort, but boy did it alarm me at the time!
snow conditions
http://www.cloudmont.com/ in Alabama
ski holidays
Not exactly unknown as I've mentioned it before, but it's not on this thread - Steinach in Austria just south of Innsbruck, and Lauteret, also mentioned on here by Snowangel from time to time. 2 drags with books of tickets. Very Happy I fancy Leukerbad myself too.
snow report
ami in berlin, Can't remember the name of the trail, but we were on the train first, just followed the guide and walked a hell of a way.
snow report
easiski wrote:
Not exactly unknown as I've mentioned it before, but it's not on this thread - Steinach in Austria just south of Innsbruck, and Lauteret, also mentioned on here by Snowangel from time to time. 2 drags with books of tickets. Very Happy I fancy Leukerbad myself too.

The Col du Lauteret, which is part of the Pays de la Meije is shut. I don't know if it opened this winter but it lies within a nature reserve and a decision was made a few years ago to close the resort. The lifts are supposed to come out this summer if it has not already happened.

The focus in the area is now on Villar d'Arene which has had an upgrade this winter (snowmaking I think) and le Chazelet.

There is a long article on Pistehors about the reorganization

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0909-la-grave-trouble-in-paradise/

So if you want to ski the Lauteret, you will have to climb, like we did in November

Ski tour to the West Summit of the Combeynot from David GEORGE
http://www.vimeo.com/2267138

Leukerbad? Hardly unknown. It is the Ste Foy of Switzerland. There is non-stop publicity for it on Swiss Radio and TV. "blah blah blah, come to Leukerbad's hot spa and ski at the same time, blah blah blah..." It has put me off going anywhere near the place.

I will offer Heuberg in Switzerland which I've skied once, not sure how unknown it is but I know very little about Swiss skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, Oh - I'm gutted (I should spend more time on your site shouldn't I?) - I've always wanted to do a couple of turns at Lauteret, just never got round to it. I don't do walking up! Leukerbad may be well known in switzerland, but I doubt if many brits have heard of it - I've only been there in summer and liked the look of the terrain. Very Happy
ski holidays
espri wrote:
And thinking back to those days reminds me of going from the AFRC Chiemsee to yet another mini-area, Gschwendt, which was just one T-bar (even smaller than Blomberg!), up the hill from Bernau in Chiemgau. Sort of like a pub with its private T-bar. I was only there once (about 25 years ago) and rather doubt that the lift still operates, although there are still signpost to skilifts in Bernau. Maybe Samerberg Sue and I'll have to explore again next winter.

I couldn't restrain my patience, so I went for a walk in this area last Saturday. It is true - the T-bar is no longer there. Here are a couple of views of the piste:

The only evidence left that this was once a ski resort is the Kassa, the ticket office, now used as a hut:

Luckily, though, the pub is still there, the Gschwendtnerhof Stub'n, and I would recommend it too. The Wirtin, the landlady, explained that her parents had abandoned the ski area idea in 2001 and the T-bar had been sold on to Lithuania!
ski holidays
This is 'Aschau im Chiemgau' (Bavaria)

http://youtube.com/v/A5mPCWYphTg
ski holidays
I did a long weekend in Foppolo. It's near to Milan Bergamo that Easyjet flew into it. The hotel picked us up from the airport and dropped us back. I enjoyed the skiing and the food at the hotel was good. This was about 15 years ago though, but at that point has just invested in a 6/8seat chairlift to take you out from the centre.

https://www.brembanaski.com/ingleseski/foppolo.html
snow report
@cc_7up, thanks for awakening this thread again. Reading through it brought back pleasant memories. I skied at Aschau several times when I lived nearby in Marquartstein and it was always a good day's skiing.

Sadly my photos from Schwendt seem to have been deleted from the snowMedia Zone. I didn't do it.
latest report
Poiana Brasov in Romania, I was there in Summer and it totally surprised me to see it was also a ski area, I don’t know why.
snow report
JimSearle wrote:
Solda in Italy

Les Karellis in France

Obersdorf in Germany

Sillian in Austria

Big Mountain in US

Ski Smithers in Canada

Could name loads more...resorts that everyone knows about are highly overated Laughing

Big Mountain now known as Whitefish - probably a better name as it wasn't very big when we went there (it's in Montana and we did a day trip from across the border in Ferrnie)

Also had a few days skiing in Pfunds, Austria, back in the 1970s. A couple of rope tows and some gentle nursery slopes. We then graduated to the 'proper' resort of Nauders, near the Swiss border.
ski holidays
Great thread. The mention of Lautauret reminded me of a few places - none that I have skied in but places that I have passed by while cycling in the alps and onset of there is any skiing there. One is at the top of the Col de Romme near the Grand Bornand. The other is Plan Joux. Not I believe you can access some really interesting off piste routes from plan Joux so it is probably not that unknown. Other places I have seen are at the top of the col de turini between Sospel and Nice. There is a tiny little resort up there. One day I may ski at Plan Joux. Unless it accesses something interesting Romme didn’t seem to have much going for it given what else is around.
ski holidays
Areches-Beaufort has quite a lot to commend it. It's by no means unknown amongst local ski tourers though.
snow report
Does Prato Nevoso in Cuneo, Italy count? Had a very nice family holiday there - and it has some great night skiing.
snow conditions
Eagle Crest - Juneau, AK

https://skieaglecrest.com/

Arctic Valley, AK

http://arcticvalley.org/

Loup Loup - Ski are so nice, they named it twice! Very Happy

https://skitheloup.com/

Anthony Lakes, OR

https://anthonylakes.com/

Mowhawk Mtn, CT

https://www.mohawkmtn.com/
snow conditions
Santo Stefano d'Aveto in Liguria. When I went there almost 30 years ago it just had a one-person "bottle cage" lift. But apparently this has been replaced by a chair, and a second chair added as well!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy