Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's under your helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Folks

I bought a helmet but it has vents that cannot be closed off and really give you brain freeze in cold temperatures. (I was spoilt with a number of seasons Spring Skiing!)

Has anyone any "liner" or "hat" suggestions for wearing underneath? I am not really looking for something fleece-like- I wondered if there are any thin man made liners or hats that can be comfortably worn underneath?

Best wishes

Tim
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look in cycle wear. Any number of ultra-thin helmet liners and balaclavas.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it is excessively cold I've occasional worn a Buff under my helmet. Fits nicely and can be extended down your neck underneath your jacket.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tbanting, Get a thin cycling windproof beanie. They are designed to fit under helmets.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aldi had them for about 4 quid.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tbanting, I have one of these: http://www.snowshack.com/detail/SNW+TF-04147_TurtleFur+TF+Windtech+Shellaclava didn't pay more than £10 for it I think?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Silk balaclava - better than a beanie because it fills the gap between helmet and jacket.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I found my cheap imitiation buff did an excellent job and was thin enough where the helmet went - about £3 from Lidls
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheese.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Cheese.
Waxed or unwaxed?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I recall correctly, Red make a liner hat sort of thing which supposedly keeps your head warm under a helmet in low temperatures. I've worn a Buff under one before - that works quite well Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm a buffaholic.... use a buff.

Or, Berghaus do some great powerstretch beanies and balaclavas - the latter making you look like a ninja!

Or, you could use a buff.

And if that doesn't work... 2 buffs?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use a cheapo neckwarmer that has a neoprene hood attached. I've found the main thing the keeps you warm is really sealing up the area between the top of your goggles and the helmet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

What's under your helmet?

Me...most of the time..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helmet hair
snow conditions
You can buy cotton balaclavas from motor cycling shops very cheaply (less than £5). Silk balaclavas are a bit more expensive especially from a ski shop.

Cycle shops may sell a thin skull cap.
snow report
Cheese.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Made me smile!
snow report
tbanting,

Have you found anything yet?

Evans Cycle shops website are showing "Altura" make skull caps for £9.99, I may buy one myself because my cycle helmet is very draughty now that it's winter.

Evans have shops all over the place.
snow report
Lunchtime sandwich.
latest report
Your mum.
snow report
More seriously, my baldy mate got quite cold last year in his hard top, so I lent him a lightweight little Icebreaker beanie/liner that I possess for reasons unknown, and he said that was quite good.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
Cheese.
Waxed or unwaxed?
Waxed of course, for speed Very Happy
latest report
Anniepen, He could hollow out an Edam Laughing
snow conditions
thanks all! an informative, amusing and useful thread! In the end I got a "choop", basically a "buff"alike. Good grief the instructions in how to make all the various types of headgear is going to keep me busy sitting through the transfer from plane to resort!

keeeeeeep skiing! snowHead
ski holidays
marmalade sandwiches obviously wink
snow conditions
tbanting, You could always stretch a condom over your helmet Laughing
snow report
tbanting, I know you've got a Buff type thing now but what I would suggest if you don't find it to be any good (or not good enough) is a ColdKillers windstopper balaclava which you can buy from motorbike shops. It is designed to be worn under a motorcycle helmet which is a lot more close fitting than a ski helmet and they are thin and seamless as well as being warm/windproof but not too OTT like with fleecey stuff which might be a smidgen too hot (well I would find it a bit much myself but each to their own).

I wear a Buff and pull the cotton section up round the back of my head before I put my helmet on and on really really cold days or if it's really windy and bitter then I use the balaclava thing I've mentioned above.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
tbanting, I know you've got a Buff type thing now but what I would suggest if you don't find it to be any good (or not good enough) is a ColdKillers windstopper balaclava which you can buy from motorbike shops. It is designed to be worn under a motorcycle helmet which is a lot more close fitting than a ski helmet and they are thin and seamless as well as being warm/windproof but not too OTT like with fleecey stuff which might be a smidgen too hot (well I would find it a bit much myself but each to their own).

I wear a Buff and pull the cotton section up round the back of my head before I put my helmet on and on really really cold days or if it's really windy and bitter then I use the balaclava thing I've mentioned above.

Many thanks! I'll look for one of those as well. Va Thorens looking cold! Dec 13th. can't wait but I don't want to be uncomfortable!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tbanting, Ditto us same weekend from the 12th (just the weekend though), yes, its looking V. Cold. Will be taking polar buff and Pancho with me. You can also get a cover that fits over a helmet too, but I like the helmet over a buff.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
tbanting, Ditto us same weekend from the 12th (just the weekend though), yes, its looking V. Cold. Will be taking polar buff and Pancho with me. You can also get a cover that fits over a helmet too, but I like the helmet over a buff.

Can't wait to start the day with a croissant and coffee in the VT bakers! mmmm! Hot chocolate is something else there as well! Very Happy
snow conditions
tbanting, Hot chocolate Very Happy Tell me more, where is it - I didn't actually visit the bakers when I went in April, but about 1/2 way through the week found a small parade of shops on the street above the shopping centre, had a deli and small general store in it - is that close to the bakers?
snow conditions
It's down at the bottom of the resort near the chaval blanc appartments. Which is just next to the place you get the ski passes. Highly recommend it! You will see the queues for baguettes starting at around 7am
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy