Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Che or Montgenevre or elsewhere? Will 300m of altitude make a difference?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I already asked about Montgenevre and had a few responses - thanks for those. Still unsure about best place to go with the group (now of 18 people). Flying into Turin, so at the moment we're looking at Montgenevre & Serre Che. Not really sure about the Italian resorts... only have experience of Sauze D'Oulx and that wasn't a great experience...

So if we stay at Monetier, we're at 1500m, whereas at Montgenevre we'd be at 1850m. In late March, could that 300-ish metres be crucial? I know - it depends on snow cover - but I'm not entirely sure how much difference that 300m will likely make... is it a significant difference snow-wise or is the likelihood that any good cover at 1850 would also be at 1500 in all probability?

Anyhow - maybe that's not the entire criteria. We need to be somewhere convenient for the slopes. As there will be at least 4 young children to get to ski school, it needs to be quick & painless in the morning, not a 10-minute hike juggling skis & poles whilst pulling kids out of icy snowdrifts (our experience at Ellmau a couple of years back!) so are we more likely to find that sort of convenience at Monetier or Montgenevre or even one of the Italian resorts?

Furthermore, we're going self-catering, as that is what the vast majority of the group prefers - we can cook simple pasta meals for the kids or just go out for a pizza. Anyone have any feelings about suitability of any of the mentioned places for self-catering?

The problem I seem to have with the Italian sites is that they don't seem to be able to accommodate Sunday - Sunday travel (our flights are Sunday/Sunday) on their websites at least, wherease I always thought that most Italian resoirts did do Sunday changeovers... Really a bit confused by all the possibilities at present and would welcome first hand opinions...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carled, we ski in Serre Chevalier every year. We've skied twice at EAster (late MArch -mid April) iand you have been able to ski to the bottom in Monetier then. Montgenvre lokoed fine also when we drove through. In MOntgenevre most of the accomodation is across themain road from the pistes. IN Monetier, there is some self-catering close to the slopes, but not ski-in ski-out. However there is a ski bus which runs round the village every 10-15 minutes, making most places convenient. If you are coming from Turin by car, there is a hypermarket in Briancon, and a small supermarket in Monetier, plus a butchers etc. Also a couple of nice pizzerias. . Le Pre des Ors ,which you can find via http://www.serre-chevalier.com , are some nice apartments attached to the Hotel Alliey, and has a swimming pool. The hotel has a nice restaurant too if you fancy a treat. The owners are very friendly. Other SnowHeads may have some info on Montgenvre. snowHead[
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carled, just spotted this article on Serre Chevalier in today's International Herald Tribune. It seems to have some good descriptive points.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there, it comes down to this: Serre Che has north-facing pistes, Montgenevre is mostly south-facing (in the sun). Also Serre Che is a different place altogether - real French villages which have opened up to introduce and encourage skiing over the years, whereas much of Montgenevre is purpose built. I am slightly biased as I live in Monêtier! Here's a good site for finding self-catered accommodation in Monêtier and Serre Che's other villages: www.skiserreche.com and here's a self-catering chalet in Monêtier www.chaletrochenoire.com Hope to see you in March... let me know if you need ski coaching as I co-run a British ski school here.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Mel. Some of the group do need lessons (particularly the kids) and I must admit, I do like the look of the Eurekaski class sizes! Just out of interest, do you think that your prices are much more than ESF for the same set of lessons, or do you feel that ESF is all a bit "get a group of kids and get down the mountain" so it's like comparing Apples with Oranges?

I'm tempted by Montgenevre due to the extra altitude and half an hour less on the transfer, but I have my non-skiing wife to consider and I know that at Monetier there are the hot springs to keep her occupied, whereas from Montgenevre she'd have to bus it down to Briancon to swim and she's not very adventurous when it comes to travel in foreign climes!

Is Monetier a good base for a mixed group? 4 kids, 5 snowboarders and the rest skiiers of varying ability from "never been" to "can ski down black runs blindfolded"...?

Does Monetier have any "Pierre et Vacances" type apartments... I know they're not nice, but they're cheap & cheerful and somewhere to sleep. We don't tend to go for full occupancy to get the extra room!

The other potential problem we have is that we arrive on a Sunday and won't be skiing until the Monday. Will this cause problems with Ski School at all?

I appreciate the help from a native - thanks for the info!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen... what's Le Hameau Du Bez like as a location? I've been offered accommodation there and was wondering if it's any good? Seems to be pretty close to the pistes and not far to the shops. Also has the swimming pool not far away for my wife to use!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled, I've used both ESF and Eurekaski, but only on a 1:1 or 1:2 basis. From that experience, I'd have to say that Eurekaski are by far the better option. If you do go the ESF route (assuming you stay in SC), look out for Denis Lucas (ESF in Chantemerle) - he speaks fluent English (his wife is from these shores) and he's a pretty good instructor IMHO.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would recommend staying in Monetier. I took my parents there a couple of years ago, and while they tried skiing for a day or two, they were well occupied when they decided it wasn't for them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers. Just seems that Monetier is a bit isolated whereas Villeneuve is more central and better connected to the lifts...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spent 2 weeks in Monetier last season - whilst the connection to the rest of the Grand Serre Che is not so good, I found the Monetier slopes were better (and quieter).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carled, Hameau du Bez, is a trad. villaage in Villeneuve area, but may also be the name of a block of newly built apartments near the Frejus gondola. Good location in either case. have used Eurekaski for a group lesson, excellent.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy