Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First group trip skiing... help me please!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Having completely loved my return to skiing after 14 years last year I am thinking about arranging a small group trip this coming year (between Jan and May) for a week.
We will be a mixed group of skiiers and boarders of varying standard and to be honest i am not sure about location or quite how to organise it.
I have never done the chalet route and have always stayed in hotels before but think that as there is a group of us (in our 20's and me just 30) it could be the way to go.
Price will be a key consideration and I would really appreciate any advice for a relative newbie on this sort of thing.
Any help you can give would be great, including likely budget from London and any pitfalls to avoid.
Many thanks
Pilgrimage.

PS: We did Soll last year and that would probably be quite appealing as a type of resort for this next trip.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pilgrimage, Welcome to SnowHeads if you haven't been already snowHead

Difficult to advise given the very wide brief (January to May!) - if you don't need to go in school holidays, avoid the whole of February and first week of March (mad with UK and European holidays - very busy and prices high). Lower prices are in early to lateish January and then 2nd week of March through to Easter (4/4/09). How many in your group? If 6, 8, 10 sort of numbers, could be good to take over a chalet on sole occupancy presuming you all get along and don't especially need other people to have fun. Chalet owners can often organise lift passes and transfers, ski school and equipment - makes organising much simpler. Resorts - do you want lots of nightlife and clubs, or just a few bars and somewhere to eat on the chalet chefs night off? Think about looking for flights into Geneva and you then have a good variety of resorts and skiing within an hour or two. PM me if you need more info or specific help - no problem at all Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Price will be a key consideration

Self-catering (chalet or apartment, dependent on resort and group size) is likely to keep the price down. As Anniepen says, definitely keep clear of Feb/1st week of March. For a small group I normally budget about £1000 per person, all in (flights, transfers/hire cars, accomodation, all food including lunches on the hill, ski hire, lift pass, etc.) if we go self-catering. I'd typically budget about £200 more for catered chalet (although the sky's the limit really!). You can certainly do it cheaper than this though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whatever you do Pilgrimage, don't turn it into a committee decision or you'll waste hours on "Derek wants Val in Jan but Bob wants Austria in March etc etc on and on" Put one or two choices together and put it to the group on a like-it-or-lump-it basis, you'll never please everyone so don't try. Good luck!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

avoid the whole of February

in France, the first week in February is fine. Hols start the following week.

Ask the people who are genuinely interested to tell you ONE key priority, for them, for the trip and give you a £50 deposit. Then put together ONE broad proposal which seems likely to be best all round. Anyone who doesn't like it drops out at that point, and gets £45 back. Then work out a more detailed proposal for those left in the group and get a further £50 from those who definitely want to go before you make any bookings. Anyone who drops out after that point gets nothing back unless they find a replacement acceptable to you as group leader.

Don't chase people for the money - give them a deadline and stick to it.

It's a lot of work and they should be pathetically grateful to you for doing it. But they probably won't be.....Laughing

For a group I'd say a cheap catered chalet would be a better bet than self catering.

Have fun! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pilgrimage, Welcome to snowHead (tad late as usual).
We can accomodate you in Morzine PDS depending on numbers. Have a look at the web site.
Can help with ski shool, lift passes, etc. Transfers from Geneva. B&B with some/no meals so a very flexible deal can be struck.
Nina is happy to do some of the work for you to make your life easier.
E-mail her on apexgroup@free.fr if interested. Early/Mid Jan or end of March available.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pilgrimage, I have been organising our group ski trip for the last 6 years. I always use a TO as once it's booked, if flights etc change, the TO has to sort it out. Also you can get group discounts. I usually pick three options which I like, then ask for preferences and go with that. I give a deadline for the deposits(you still have to chase people but you'll not get away from that). We always go for a catered chalet as we like the informality of it (and it has to be ensuite preferably with baths). If I have to have a single supplement I will pay for this from the group discount and then split anything that's left between the group. I have learnt to give only the full basic prices at the beginning of the process, ie it will cost you X amount, then I can give a lower price once discounts are applied when I ask for final payment. Once I have requested the final amounts payable, if anybody cancels then they become liable for any extra charges applicable. Always give yourself at least 3 weeks spare by which to collect the final monies as gain someone is always late. I always leave it to individuals to sort out ski hire / lift passes etc on the bus.
Places we have enjoyed with good chalets are Meribel, and Les Arcs. Good luck ! Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pilgrimage, I'd echo the advice about giving deadlines for payments and not being too entertaining of the "well, can't we got to xxx 'cos so and so said it was good" or "I don't fancy there, 'cos I heard there's too many draglifts" distractions. You can't please everyone so don't even try! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pilgrimage, I'll take pain out of all the organising for you; transfers, Accomodation, food, drinks, ski hire, lift passes all you need to decide is the date Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Large non refundable deposits, I agree with whats been said above, go for a basic chalet in a large resort, and not too much consultation or you will go round the bend.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pilgrimage, don't organise a dinner party or go to the pub with your group to have a "meeting" to discuss the holiday. We've now done this three times so far, got sloshed three times and made no progress whatsoever on booking the damn holiday...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jonm, Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pilgrimage, like jan above I typically organise one trip a year when its for a larger group of us, and do this through a tour operator. For smaller groups I prefer to organise it all separately, but once you get above 10 people it can be a real hassle organising everyone, so easier to let the TO take the strain.

I would always encourage a large group of people to go the catered chalet route; that way you won't have problems making dinner reservations for large groups of people, and you're always guaranteed to eat together both at breakfast and in the evenings.

Ive also found it's best off to let everyone sort their own lift passes, lessons, ski hire etc. when on the transfer coach.

I've used Neilson quite a few times now, and they've always been very good for us. Group discount kicks in when you have 10 people travelling, I think its the equivalent of one place free (so you can either be really cheeky and nab that for yourself or split the saving amongst you all!).

Doing it this way, we've always previously stuck with going to the larger (French) resorts; that way there's pretty much anything for all abilities, so much easier to get all to agree on one particular resort.

Good luck with it; it can be hard work, but at the end of the day you are very instrumental in where you go so you can bias it towards the type of place you want to go to.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My mate organises a group trip every year. He just gets the Thomson brochure out, chooses something and tells everyone where they are going! It is impossible to please everyone and every place has its ups and downs for everyone.

Thomson give you a discount for a group, and if you go to an agency shop you might even get what he describes as a "shop discount". I have looked at DIY several times, but you often pay more than straight from the brochure.

If you wanted to be more inclusive, you could identify three trips from a brochure, and invite everyone to get their own copy and vote on it.

If you try to put the trip together yourself, you risk being dumped with lots of work and responsibility for everyone's holiday. A tour operator package, chosen by everyone collectively, at least lets you duck out and get on with your own trip!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not sure how many are in your group but if there are quite a few and you go with a TO it might be worth finding out the maximum number of people that would be eligible for group discount. I spoke to somebody recently who added on a few extra people to his group booking with one of the big TO's and was told that this made the group too large and would mean everybody would lose their discount.
snow report
DIY it. That way everybody can just pay flights and accomodation directly themselves. Not a problem.

You're organising it. Where would you like to go?
snow report
Mosha Marc, thats what i do each year its better than trying to get money off people i tell them what date the flight has to be booked for then i am not getting messed around
snow report
I've always liked package deals with catered chalets myself. They can be picked up cheaply too.
ski holidays
Thanks for all your comments - they've been really helpful.
I am going to see what I can plan this weekend - re dates and numebr of people etc and take it from there.
Undoubtedly more questions to follow!!! ...
Thanks again. Smile
Pilg.
snow report
Feel free to keep asking. I'd do a thread to needle post, but I'd still be typing while you were skiing - just too much info snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy