Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with Guests...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies, not wholly on topic...
CB1 wrote:
In one case a claimant (a British national domiciled in the United Kingdom) suffered serious injuries in Jamaica, when he struck his head swimming against a submerged sandbank. He sued a Mr Jackson, who was also domiciled in the United Kingdom, who had let the holiday villa to him...
Bearing in mind that the extent of my legal knowledge is nil (had an interview for a place on a law course but then remembered I had a conscience wink so decided to join the RN instead)... that is the most pathetic thing I have ever, ever heard.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where theres blame theres a claim Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, ...and where there's not, unfortunately. Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor,

you've had lots of good replies (a part from all those "you skied that?" types who have clearly not realised the power of foreshortening and the fact that you would hardly get any speed down that thing without a lot of poling wink). By the way, how steep is it?

My feeling is the following:

1. By advertising the service when people book, a lawyer could probably argue that you are receiving payment for guiding albeit a part of a bundled price
2. If you never leave the piste, you are quite unlikely to be shown to be negligent but I would still be alert to the possibility that someone comes a cropper on a black run, hasn't got medical insurance and sues you saying that you didn't take enough account of their lack of skill/fitness etc.
3. Assuming you are not a qualified guide, I think you would be NUTS to ski off-piste with a guest given 1 above

J
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jedster, Absolutely agreed, all three points. Succinctly put. (You can't be a lawyer. wink )
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nope, no lawyer Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Our host, poor guy, enjoys skiing with us and 2 years ago crossed from one piste to another where we were, missing the fact that there was a stream in between the two, fell in and broke his thumb. No skiing for 6 weeks from mid Jan....

It can cut both ways.

He never says follow me, and we sometimes take it in turns to lead, so in effect we are skiing together rather than him guiding, although we always find something nice and unspoiled to go down.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster, thanks for your input. I can honestly say that the one or two occasions that I have skied off piste, our of hundreds of other days it was not with groups of guests, it was a single guest who I had already skied with, deemed 'good enough' Wink to ski with me, and then we ski together... at their request.

I wonder if I could counter sue on the grounds of being emotionally damaged by retarded guests having a crash on my watch. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I still haven't read some of the longer replies - sorry, it's silly season for me. I will, I appreciate your posts and will read them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor,

Quote:

I can honestly say that the one or two occasions that I have skied off piste, our of hundreds of other days it was not with groups of guests, it was a single guest who I had already skied with, deemed 'good enough' to ski with me, and then we ski together... at their request.

I'm not suggesting you were irresponsible at all - I'd be very happy to ski with you. I'm just do think that you are taking a small risk of something really bad happening (in court I mean). Decent, reasonable people will sue in ways which they may even know is unfair if they are desperate (paralysed, etc). In your shoes, I'd want to avoid that possibility, however slim.

By the way - have a great season,
J
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster, i think you're being a teensy bit too risk-averse

i actually think parlor is probably more at risk from a guest hurting themselves in or around his chalet. (this is in no way meant to suggest his chalet is a deathtrap Wink )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, Sauna, jacuzzi, stairs etc... The chalet *could* be a nightmare. Fortunately it is the owners that are ultimately liable. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I actually think parlor is probably more at risk from a guest hurting themselves in or around his chalet

Thing is Arno, I'm sure he has liability insurance to cover that. I doubt he's covered for ski-guiding.

just seen parlor's reply - bet the owner is insured against those risks.

J
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy