Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I go for this?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been agonising over which new skis for the coming season. I am heavily piste-biased, but I have some SL Race skis (Volkl Racetigers) and want something that, while mainly a piste ski, will cope with other conditions a bit better than the stiff narrow-waisted Racetigers. I don't want an off-piste, powder ski or twin-tip. I also struggle with unisex skis because of my requirement for a short length (155 or thereabouts).

There is really only one ski on the list - the Volkl Fuego.

Then I spotted this 10% off offer.

http://www.filarinskis.co.uk/store/product_details.vc?productId=8629&categoryId=1383&gncps=37

The question is, should I go for it? If I get it before we go, I can play with it a bit at the Snowdome. But I'd have to buy without a demo. But it looks like it is just the thing.

Decisions, decisions....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, they do look very nice.

Don't suppose that helps much does it!

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Bish, not much help, but it is true Wink

Sigh.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are looking for a very slight difference then The Volkl Fuego looks as though it will give you that. Suspect that the difference may be too small though.

In a recent german test of 11 skis for the fairer sex, the Scott Aztec Maya gave a similar on-piste performance to the Fuego although not as sporty but was much better offpiste (gelände). Genuss = enjoyment / pleasure (cruising).

http://www.planetsnow.de/ski/test-voelkl-attiva-fuego.190777.d_odc_produkt_datenblatt.6.htm

http://www.planetsnow.de/ski/test-scott-aztec-maya.190772.d_odc_produkt_datenblatt.6.htm

The Head wild thang or Nordica Olympia Victory are also worth considering.

http://www.planetsnow.de/ski/test-head-wild-thang.190749.d_odc_produkt_datenblatt.6.htm

http://www.planetsnow.de/ski/test-nordica-olympia-victory.190759.d_odc_produkt_datenblatt.6.htm
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, I've had a look at the wide waisted skis, but don't think the piste performance will be anything like what I'm looking for - it would have to be a 90% for me to be interested. The Fuegos are wider than the Racetigers (73 vs 66mm) and I think this extra waist width, plus lower stiffness, will make a difference. I'm only looking for a small difference. If we are doing an off-piste day then I'll hire skis for it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
docsquid, I agree with Chris Bish, they do have a fab top coat!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Various female skis reviewed here ....

http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, thanks, found that really, really useful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Might be worth looking at the Stöcklis - even their powder skis perform well on piste. The Rotor, for instance, comes in 70 and 76mm versions and go down to 158 (76) and 149 (70) in length:

http://en.stoeckli.ch/main/skis/collection/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Movement sparks go down to 163. Raised tail so it'll ski short.

It will do piste very very nicely, and due to a huge sidecut-huge shovel will go a long way in powder... Try to find it for test before dismissing it for its 82mm waist.

Maybe even better, the lady's version of this, the Spicy goes down to 153

I consider myself quite demanding on the piste aspect...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
docsquid, I have the top of the range ladies Volkl piste ski and am thinking of getting the Fuegos My other choice would be a stockli ski, although i tried the Spirit ED last year and found it a bit soft - but a great, lively ski. I think one of the fatter stocklis would be good.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, I absolutely love Volkls. My problem is this - it is very hard to get a demo of either the Volkl or the Stockli skis. Virtually nobody has any high-end ladies skis available on demo this season. The Stocklis do look very nice indeed, and are probably just the job. However, given that I know what Volkls are like, and I like the way they ski, and I'll have to buy without a demo, I'll probably go with what I know.

It seems from the reviews on Ski Diva (thank you DB) that the Volkls aren't poor in powder, and since I usually ski on piste, would hire fat skis for an off piste day, and therefore we're talking about the occasional foray off, or when the piste itself is covered with powder, then I'm more than happy to have not bad performance in that aspect so long as I can have great on piste performance too.

One day I definitely want to try a Stockli ski and that was a very good suggestion.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
docsquid, How about a Pure Spice from Elan?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
docsquid, You can demo Volkl and Stockli to your heart's content in Lech and St.Anton.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, I went for the Fuego anyway. Unfortunately a trip to Lech/St Anton is not on the cards this season! I'm pretty sure this is a good choice and it will do what I want it to do.

I will post a review when I test them at the Snowdome soon!
snow report
docsquid, Hope you enjoy them - lucky you!!
latest report
Megamum, cost way too much, even with 10% off, but as percentage of our total ski holiday spend this season, I think it will be worth it.
snow report
docsquid, funny you should say that, I just wrote them down as part of my running short list, and then I checked the price and crossed them off again. Laughing Enjoy, though, I'm sure you'll get your money's worth out of them. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Well, they've arrived and they look absolutely awesome.

I plan to try them out next week at the Snowdome to see just how good they are. Hope I'm not disappointed but I've never been disappointed yet by a Volkl ski.
latest report
docsquid, Its funny when I got a copy of the S&R catalogue and I went 'window shopping' I think I landed up on the Volkl Feugo's, you will have to let us know how you get on with them
ski holidays
Hokey dokey here's my report on first try.

First of all they look absolutely fantastic. Even the bindings (which are good Marker iPT bindings) are colour coded and have graphics to match the ski. I'm not a fashion victim but they look the part before you even get on them. And those of you who hate fashion victims can be assured they clash badly with my boots Smile Although I don't like girly designs on ladies skis, this design isn't really girly (sort of flames and birds in flight), which means that Mr Docsquid can try them out without feeling uncomfortable.

First run on pretty icy snow made me realise they are a bit of a handful - that is you need to be really on the front of the skis otherwise they will run away with you. I had no problems with edge grip even with the Snowdome doing its best to be icy. The turn radius of the 154cm skis is 11.6m so when you really laid them on their sides and carved it was almost like being on Snowblades, the turn was so tight and so much on rails. Slalom style turns (i.e. short radius turns using edges rather than skidding - somebody will be along in a minute to tell me this is the wrong term!) were brilliant - the skis are very lively, but you have to be on them, or they will ping you up in the air instead of from edge to edge! It is also really easy to change the type of turn you are doing i.e. from long to short radius and back again, without losing the edges (or maybe my skiing is just getting better).

However the edges are not so grippy that you can't do nice smooth skidded parallel turns, and I found doing 360's on snow a breeze on these skis. They do force you to ski with your weight in the right place - get even slightly in the back seat and they aren't nice at all - they just feel out of control. I think the S&R catalogue got it right - they are very fast, very adaptable, but also very unforgiving. I can imagine they will be good on bumps and steeps, and will certainly be much better than my race skis off piste, as they are lighter, less stiff (although plenty stiff enough) and much wider particularly at the tips).

The deal I got was good - 10% off, plus a pair of Scott poles (their cheapest ones, but good plain Alu poles, useful as a spare and retailing at £19.99), and a rather girly ski bag (embroidered with pink flowers - at least it means Mr Docsquid won't be borrowing it).

So, the verdict is that they are a good ski if you like carving, going fast, doing short radius turns and have your weight in the right place. They aren't a beginner ski, and probably not a good ski for a nervous intermediate looking to progress technique, as they are very unforgiving. If you are in the mood they are fantastic. If you like cruising around, and dislike higher speeds, they aren't for you.
snow report
docsquid, These sound like my Arenas. the first time I tried them they nearly flipped me, but once up and motoring, they're great. I went for these because I like doing short turns and I like the precision of them. They do reward good technique. But they are limiting off-piste. I think I'll try the Fuegos.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy