Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why can't you get a 'do it all' helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
I was clearing out a cupboard the other day and was amazed at the number of protective helmets that materialised on the floor together. It put me to thinking that, apart from maybe motorcycle helmets where higher speed is involved' why don't they make one helmet suitable for many sports?

A similar level of protection must surely be required for cycling, horse riding (various disciplines), skiing, mountaineering. All are active sports requiring a breathable, light helmet so why has some enterprising company not made a helmet that will cover several sports?

I have a jockey skull cap - it is not much different in design to a ski helmet, there was also something made for horse riding some years ago called a Joffa helmet which rung the changes on a traditional riding hat, so there must be some scope for taking the best of the designs used in each sport to construct one helmet acceptable to all disciplines. I wonder why it hasn't been done? It would be far cheaper than spending around £50 on each sport that you do. Dragons Den anyone?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surely this should be in the dedicated 'Helmets' forum? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking just at skiing at cycling....most people want a thermally insulated helmet for skiing, whereas when cycling in a far milder climate they want as much air to get in as possible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Looking just at skiing at cycling....most people want a thermally insulated helmet for skiing, whereas when cycling in a far milder climate they want as much air to get in as possible

So an insulating skiing helmet with removable section to convert to an airy cycling helmet shouldn't be beyond then whit and wisdom of the manufacturers.
Time for a trip to the Dragon's Den?
Equipped with built in mp3 connections and a video camera - it's a winner
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mountaineers, climbers, cavers, want multi-impact protection from falling rocks and ice, need headlamp fixing, and need to be able to look upwards but also want protection for the back of the head.

Cyclists don't care about multi-impact protection, don't generally care about falling backwards, definitely don't want insulation, definitely don't want any extras to weigh the head down, do want the lightest and breathiest helmet possible.

Skiers want goggle compatibility, moderate protection, don't generally care about constantly looking upwards, moderate insulation, and generally don't care about multi-impact protection.

Kayakers want... Skaters want... Hockey players want...

JOFA still make hockey, skate and ski helmets as well as jockey ones. I wore one of their slalom helmets with the chin guard and forehead strip for years.

In answer to your question several companies have tried:

http://www.teamwendy.com/skihelmets/sportsindex.cfm nobody wanted them, as they were second-best for day-to-day use compared to even low-level dedicated helmets.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/grivel_gecko_climbing_helmet/
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Metolius/idesc/Safe+Tech+Climbing+Helmet/Store/MG/item/208525/N/1205
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
there is of course a very simple solution to this dilemma.......

Toofy Grin rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
barry, yes, but don't go there - I'm interested in the concept of a multi-use helmet
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've thought about this, but concluded it would end up being too much of a compromise. I've got mountain bike and ski helmets and they are quite different in design. Ski helmet has heavier construction, more padding and more insulation. Bike helmet has tons more ventilation and is a lot lighter. I'm sure they could be combined in a modular design of some sort, but the result would inevitably be a compromise, like with do-everything skis etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They're all used in different climates, different humidity conditions, different types of activity, ... Why can't you get an all-purpose mode of transport?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hyweljenkins, When you look at the materials available these days how much of a problem is that really? I look at the helmets here most have some sort of lining, then a polystyrene shell and hard plastic outer - the construction is not so different.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with Elizabeth B. I once made the mistake of going biking in my ski helmet - it was horrible.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Poc Receptor is supposedly designed for multi-sport use - skiing, canoeing, MTB (more dirt and freeride than XC I guess) and climbing:

http://www.pocsports.com/products/showproduct.asp?id=W81022

Looks sweet too
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just put a helmet on, end of. Or you could just eat a plate of glass with a pair of barbed wire sunglasses up your a$$.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, ha HA Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Just put a helmet on, end of. Or you could just eat a plate of glass with a pair of barbed wire sunglasses up your a$$.

Talking of which, lets have dinner next week.
snow report
there is a 'do-it-all' helmet. its called the human skull, however you only get to crack it once Smile
snow conditions
Megamum, if companies made multisport helmets, they wouldn't sell as many would they? So they're much more likely to spend their time and marketing dosh convincing everyone that all their helmets are completely different, honestly, and you risk instant death if you wear the wrong one.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Megamum, if companies made multisport helmets, they wouldn't sell as many would they? So they're much more likely to spend their time and marketing dosh convincing everyone that all their helmets are completely different, honestly, and you risk instant death if you wear the wrong one.

absolutely!!
snow conditions
Lizzard, A bit cynical I think. I know my ski helmet would be a heavy sweat box used for XC mountain biking, so that's a non-starter. I suppose I could use my bike helmet for skiing with most of the vents taped over, but I'm not that desperate to save a few quid. I'd rather have a heavier, warmer ski helmet offering a little more protection.
latest report
its so companies can sell you more stuff.

you can easily use any pisspot type for many sport types, I got one that you could use for any number of things, from skating, dirt jump boarding, ski even worn it for a bit of xc in winter.
ski holidays
I wear a full face motorbike helmet no matter what sport I'm partaking of.

Kind regards,
Mr. T Stig
snow report
FastEddie wrote:
I wear a full face motorbike helmet no matter what sport I'm partaking of.

Kind regards,
Mr. T Stig

That's probably a bit OTT for your snooker, darts and surfing.
ski holidays
Megamum, the construction is entirely different.

Ski Helmet

Cycling Helmet
snow report
You can wear a bike helmet for skiing or vice versa, full face helmets seem most appropriate for this crossover. But for £30 for a decent bike helmet why wouldn't I just buy one that would be more comfortable - besides 2 helmets don't just mean twice the price but twice the lifespan if we're talking impacts.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
You can wear a bike helmet for skiing or vice versa, full face helmets seem most appropriate for this crossover.

cycling helmets don't do much at all for backwards falls.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, damn. I knew I'd been doing something wrong. Puzzled
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
fatbob wrote:
You can wear a bike helmet for skiing or vice versa, full face helmets seem most appropriate for this crossover.

cycling helmets don't do much at all for backwards falls.

thats not strickly true, I have two bike lids that offer more rear protection then my ski lid
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy