Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

camping in the french alps

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Do you know how much the lift passes are for a week?

Les Arcs lift pass is 243 euros for 6 days - so at current exchange rate, about £215. A week would be a bit less than one-sixth more. We're all hoping, I guess, that the exchange rate will improve before we go skiing. Crying or Very sad
Quote:
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beekai_5104,

You will have to report back on your adventure and let us all know how you get on!! If expeditions can survive Everest, North Pole, Antarctica
etc I am sure you will be ok if you wear plenty of clothes for bed...

But if you do get too cold and need a warm bed, Formule 1 Hotels are dirt cheap - there's one at Albertville.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi.Please help....
I am looking for any advice.i am travelling in my motorhome for some january snowboarding.
I am looking for a good campsite within walking distance to good ski resort lifts, anywhere in france.
Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Daniel, welcome to Snowheads.
snowHead There are absolutely loads, with and without electric hookups etc. You will probably want to follow the snow - a major advantage of having a motorhome. If you look on the websites of the resorts you are most interested in you should be able to find out all you want to know.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Daniel, welcome to Snowheads.
snowHead There are absolutely loads, with and without electric hookups etc. You will probably want to follow the snow - a major advantage of having a motorhome. If you look on the websites of the resorts you are most interested in you should be able to find out all you want to know.
Thanks...
That seems to be the problem...too many.
Was hoping for some names of specific resorts with good snow and campsite close..doesnt have to be a massive resort..
From people who have been before.. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for reply..by the way...... Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is (or was) a camp site right under the snow of the Manlichan piste at Grindelwald. Mind you, it is a sloping field and the skiers might be a problem Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Daniel, OK, if you can be specific about the kind of skiing you like to do, where you've been before (so we don't tell you what you already know), whether you speak French (which is an issue in some places), whether apres ski is important to you, etc. then we can give you loads of ideas.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Daniel,

Try this thread, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1009127&highlight=motorhome#1009127

but don't put your posts in irrelevant places (as well as here). Very distracting.

Search facility is very useful.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all your help...
New to this site...
Cheers..

Pam...i have been snowboarding a few times.
Not looking for anything to advanced as travelling with partner/friends.
Just want to be as close as possible to lifts.
A small cheap resort is fine for 5 days..
Thanks again for your patience..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Rosiere Very Happy http://campinglaforet.free.fr/spip/spip.php?var_mode=calcul
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.outcamp.net/camping_ville/4896/camping_VENOSC.htm

I think Cascade is closest to the lift. Five mins in the telecabine up to 2Alpes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a campsite in Grindelwald which is open all through the winter - always lots of people staying there, and it's a couple of minutes walk from the train and gondola. http://www.eigernordwand.ch/?userlang=en
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Daniel, Have a look here - http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk/skiing.htm a number of recommendations, although I would also check with the resort as that page now looks a little dated.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You say you want a "free" camping site. In a camp site of course you have to pay for the facilities such as toilets, showers, electrical hook ups etc. But if people just park themselves in a big car park in a resort and go without those facilities, it poses some problems for the authorities who can't just sling them out, as they would in the UK. You didn't say whether you speak French, but you might be interested to see the video report at
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4g1l7_caravaneige-aux-saisies_travel
about two sites in Les Saisies - a "proper" site, Le Grand Tetras, and an unofficial site, which is just a big car park. Both pretty convenient for the lifts in this small resort linked in to a big ski area called L'Espace Diamant.
If you look at the website lessaisies.com there's an English version which will tell you about the official camp site, and much else about the resort. It's inexpensive compared to the big resorts, with an excellent snow record, and it's now becoming possible to buy a ski pass without speaking French or resorting to sign language, which was not necessarily the case five years ago. wink

As I noted above, the vans in these sites in the mountains are generally much better insulated than standard UK ones; are you sure your van is up to the sort of temperatures you're likely to encounter? I've spent quite a few nights in campers, but not at minus 15 or more. I know the van we used to have would have been nothing like adequate; it was often pretty chilly even in Scotland in Spring. Without top class insulation chucking more heat in tends to make the whole thing drop with condensation. March/April would probably be a lot more pleasant than January, not least because of the very long, cold, dark, evenings in January.
ski holidays
has anyone camped in a tent? mountaineering style
ski holidays
There used to be (might still be) a small Rascal type van by the side of the road in Verbier, which I was told was available for hire. It always had a couple of "knarley" snowboarders staying in it whenever I walked past. Must say it looked the worst way possible to take a holiday, but what do I know.
snow report
Hi,

My advice would be to park down in the valley somewhere where you'll be a bit warmer and then drive up in the mornings - even with a heating system vans aren't as warm as you think they might be!

There's a decent, not too expensive campsite in Bourg Sainte Maurice where you can get the funiculaire up to Les Arcs, or if you're set on the 3 valleys have a look for somewhere in Brides Les Bains - I have a feeling that there's one there but I'm not 100% sure

. . . .good luck and have a great Christmas!

Heather
ski holidays
There's a designated area for camper-vans in Sainte Foy. I believe it's free!
snow conditions
beekai_5104, not read all the thread but if you want a nice camp site and to meet other travelers skiing from the vans stay at the camp site in bourg. Loads of friendly people there or you can stay for free up at 1600 near the lifts with the real hardcore boarders and hit the slopes early every day. Great snow most of the season. Last year the season started with over a metre in early december and finished at end of April with more than that. Even powder on the last day the lifts closed. In case you did not know Les Arcs is where snowboarding started in the Alps way back in the 80's and is still one of the top places for Boarders. If you want more info about Les Arcs check out my facebook les arcs info group, link below.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy