Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monfort black run

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I'm relatively new to snowheads. I went skiing last year in verbier and i'm returning this year. My skiing ability moved last year from early intermediate to advanced intermediate i would have thought. By the end of my stay I was basically comfortable in long reds and short blacks with some moguls. I'm now comfortable with parallel long turns and will take a couple of lessons this year to learn short turns.

Do you think I would be crazy to try the mont fort black run in verbier this year? I wanted to go up all the way up to montfort and ski back to the resort. How difficult is it? Could I manage to do it if i opted for a slow/safe approach?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowforever, welcome to snowheads.
The black run off Mont Fort is great depending on conditions. However its full on, long, with a tricky entrance and no escape once started. If you do have a go check the conditions, large icy mogules will make it significantly harder.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if it snows, give it a try shortly after. if it hasn't snowed for several days, it won't be a very pleasant experience
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the feedback! Hope there's a snow dump right after my couple of lessons!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you keep on the right side of the slope (near the lift) instead of traversing left where most people go, it is slightly steeper but the snow is usually better and there are no moguls.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

advanced intermediate

not sure about "advanced intermediate" but yeah, if you ski to your limits, you should no doubt be able to do it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball, skiers' right of Mt Fort is no place to send someone who is unsure of their abilty. The entrance is tricky, there are rocks and it is very steep and narrow at the top. It's not an itinerary either and therefore someone without off piste cover would be uninsured.

My advice if you're taking lessons is to ask your teacher what they think and ideally get him/her to take you down the skiers' left. You'll have more fun and probably improve your bump technique.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 17-11-08 18:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you go far enough right don't you end up on the speed skiing run? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowforever, the entry is nasty... a very narrow, rutted, bumpy awkward traverse into the top of the run... once past that it's just 200m of big moguls on a very wide run which you can take at your own pace. A genuine Black run for sure but not scary or dangerous.

When the moguls stop, you need to stop to too, get your breath back and straightline the rest or you face a lllooooonnnggggg uphill walk to the Gentianes station. From there it's down the gorgeous Gentianes red and then onward and downward past Ruinettes via the route of your choice to resort.

A great run, but just broken slighty by the walk up to Gentianes station
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowforever, When I tackled Mont Fort I thought Iwas about your standard Well I managed the first turn but then completed the rest of the short black section on my back, front, side, everystance except on my skis.

Go for it. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve Sparks, I think snowball was talking about the right hand side of the run itself or just beyond the markers there. If so I'd agree with him.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In fact you can see it behind Mrs Q in this shot

Hope you don't mind Rachel, nice steeze!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowforever, if you're planning a few lessons ask your instructor for their opinion, better still, get them to take you & coach you down.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bottled that run just from looking up at it, and started my descent down to Verbier from the Col de Gentianes instead, No shame in that, I managed to convince myself later, whilst weeping over a beer that in many ways represented my own immense cowardice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I once watched someone enter into that run, lose it and then bump, smack, bump, bump, smack, bump, bump, bump, bump, smack, bump,..., bump, smack, bump, smack, bump..., bump, whap, bump, smack... come to a rest at the bottom to get transported away by helicopter. It's not my kind of helicopter skiing rolling eyes

If the snow is good like in Mosha Marc's pic then do it. If it's icy then don't even think about it.
ski holidays
from the image it looks like the wall past the carlsberg with more moguls. I guess the latitude makes the likelihood of ice bigger and would make the experience much more difficult. I guess i'll check out the snow conditions before going for it. Thanks everyone for the advice!
snow report
Yes..agree that conditions will make or break it....and you can go top to bottom and not end up too well at all... Sad

But you are going to have to make up your own mind about these sort of things and whether you fancy them..when you see them.
If you are brave and reasonable about it, you can cowboy down and it is a heap of fun... but if the mere thought trashes you then best leave it.

In good conditions, a brave heart could do it after 4-5 weeks skiing...but it wont be pretty...and if that applies, it depends what you personally get out of it...
If it is to say, I did it, then ok... if it wrecks your confidence, what have you gained..?

I do think snowball's point is relevant..learn to choose your lines..!!
snow report
Mosha Marc, s great picture shows the orange netting at the top which protects the traverse, that's the scary bit.

Lots less steep than Tortin or Gentianes round the corner, but many more dodgy punters (like me) to watch out for too
ski holidays
I have nothing to add here, but Steve Sparks is correct.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Hope you don't mind Rachel, nice steeze!

Indeed it is! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy