Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots - can I try before I buy?

Poster: A snowHead
I am going to La tania in January and thinking about buying boots there - so two questions:

1 Is there somewhere decent in La tania to buy boots?
2. Can I try before I buy? What's the process of fitting and trying them out?

thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forget try before you buy. Go buy then try.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know about La Tania but some good shops at the start of the season (when the boots will be brand new) allow you to hire them and if you like them you can buy them at the end of the week, they take off the hire charge that you have paid at the start of the week. In theory you should be able to try different hire boots during the week if they don't fit or are uncomfortable etc.

Generally however when you hire boots they don't fit them properly as they would do if you go in to buy some boots and often the hire boots wouldn't necessarily be the ones you would choose to buy. The first thing I do when buying new boots is I throw away the footbeds and have new ones moulded that supports my feet properly. You wouldn't be able to do this with hire boots unless you use the moulded footbeds from your old boots.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eithnem, I bought new boots last year. I went to Lockwoods in Leamington Spa, told them what I wanted and what level skier I was ... when I took them to Austria a few weeks later, I wasn't disappointed!!! They were so much better than my old pair.

I'd find a local ski shop and go and have a chat with them. You may find it easier to buy them here if you can't try before you buy (which I really doubt they'll let you do).

Cheers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
welshflyer, I like the idea of renting then buying. I tried to buy rental boots at the end of the week's skiing before but the shop wouldnt sell them to me.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, Do you sell ski boots by any chance?

This is my first purchase of boots and I only ski for a week or two a year, so I will be expecting a good few years from them. I dont want to turn this into a buy here v resort debate, I just want to understand the process of fitting, buying, trying etc. and what if i am still not happy at the end of the week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eithnem, People are being a little unhelpful here, perhaps. Boot buying and fitting are essential to skiing happiness and needs time, expertise and money to get right. The best place to start is with the Sticky at the top of this page. I know here is a lot of gossip in it, but it does give sound advice.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20110
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Folks, thanks for the pointers but the question is will i be able to try before i can buy. In other words - will i be able to ski in them before i buy them? I am hoping it will go something like this:

1. Find a decent shop
2. Get fitted for boots
3. Take them, or sample pair, and have a ski in em.
4. Buy them - and ski into the sunset
5. go back to 2 above

Is this what i can expect?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
so you want a shop to physically modify a boot to your foot and allow you to use said boot with no guarantee that you'll actually buy them? c'mon, that's not really realistic is it?

a lot of places do have a comfort guarantee where they guarantee to make them comfortable or buy them back for a price set out in the small print somewhere
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eithnem, but Smallzookeepers shop does, like good ski shops have a fit guarantee.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eithnem, I think that it may be unlikely. I know for instance that I wouldn't want to purchase boots that someone else had worn - even if it was just for a day. The boots wouldn't then be 'new'. Very Happy
Why do you feel the need to 'try before you buy'? Is it because you want to make sure that they're the right boots for you and that they fit correctly? If that's the case then you'll need, like most of us, to have them fitted to your feet. Unfortunately they're not as easy to fit as trainers!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, I must admit that I read eithnem's point 2 of the post "Get fitted for boots" more of a 'put foot in and see if they fit' rather than a boot fitting as you would necessarily know it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks ...now we are getting somewhere. I've just read Profeet's comfort guarantee. If this is typical then it does make me feel more confident that only my wallet will suffer in the long term.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eithnem, What part of the country do you live in?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eithnem, Freeride in Meribel has a good reputation. I've not used them personally but the guy doing the recommending to me knew what he was on about.They are at http://www.freeride.fr/dyn/page.php?ID=8.
latest report
E bay - keep buying and selling until you find a nice comfy pair Toofy Grin

wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 16-11-08 20:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Boredsurfing, How much do you charge for posting boots on e-bay? They are damn heavy
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
Boredsurfing, How much do you charge for posting boots on e-bay? They are damn heavy

£8.50 Royal Mail Very Happy
latest report
Boredsurfing, now now... be nice to the new members Twisted Evil
Not all of us have had the benefit of the previous boot fitting discussions snowHead
snow report
eithnem wrote:
I am going to La tania in January and thinking about buying boots there - so two questions:

1 Is there somewhere decent in La tania to buy boots?
2. Can I try before I buy? What's the process of fitting and trying them out?

thanks.

1. probably
2. Sure you can. Perhaps the process could go like this...

Go to a hire shop and tell them that you'd like to hire some boots with a view to buying when you have satisfied yourself that they're comfy. Explain that you will want to try several types over the course of your holiday and then you will buy a pair of the ones you like best, either new or ex-rental - that will need to be negotiated.

It is the very best way to buy boots (& skis for that matter!)

Parfait!
snow conditions
sorry, but in 99.9% of places try before you buy is just not something any shop will enter into if you are not willing to take the risk why should the shop!!!!, some people will buy a boot that they have rented for a week and found to be comfortable, usually this has not been fitted to your foot but taken from a range available on the rental rack. and more often than not it is not the best boot for the foot

now try before you buy skis is another story..many places have demo skis and will deduct cost of rental from purchase

if you want to do it right the only way is to find the store / fitter you trust have them look at your feet and guide you through the process, the very first time you put a boot on that is the correct size for you it will feel too short, the liner needs to settle in, a footbed is probably required and modifications may be needed to make the boot [which comes out a box] fit your feet [which did not come out a box]

good luck
snow report
My useless contribution is there are 4 ski shops in la Tania...none of them very big and all part of the "ski shop chains"

Ski Higher (Twinner)
Ski Wave (Ski Set)
Intersport
Sport 2000

Have you tried asking on the latania.co.uk web site? in the guest book area..
latest report
eithnem, if you can, get yourself to CEM's shop. It may not be in resort, but you'll be well looked after snowHead
snow conditions
i am in Belfast. I have decided to buy locally as they offer a comfort guarantee, at least i will be able to get them refitted if i have issues. if they are really bad on the snow, expecting they wont be, then i can always rent.

CEM, I thought there might me a similar arrangement for boots as you mention for skis - but i guess given boot fit is so specific it could only ever provide a rough fitting boot.

Thanks for the replies.
snow conditions
eithnem, looks like I am too late, but you have made a good choice by the looks.

I just wanted to say that any decent shop will have a 'comfort guarantee'. My current boots I bought 3 seasons ago, and have taken them back twice last season for modifications, and once last week for a final tweak. Fanatyk Co here in Whistler haven't charged me a single cent for the mods.

I did take them some beers this time though Smile
ski holidays
eithnem, in belfast i can recomend you speak to Des McCarley at Climate ski

good luck
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy