Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing for Solos

Poster: A snowHead
Single room supplements are the bane of my life so it's always nice to find another company targetting the solo snowsporter and not levying silly supplements. Anyone any experience of Friendship Travel who are offering limited dates to Courmayer and Alp d'Huez ? Prices look reasonable when you consider they are half board, cooked brekkies and include afternoon tea and wine with dinner and also include ski hosting (for Intermediates and Advanced skiers.) Some of the other companies offering singles deals use obscure low resorts and only very early or late season dates. Good to see someone offering better options.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course, u can always seek a ski buddy at snowHeads Ian... or do you snore badly? "Snoring skier seeks deaf room-mate"? wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ian, you've never been on a Tracks Vacations holiday; we don't charge single supplements unless it's high season, offer ski hosting, cooked breakfast and afternoon teas as well as dinner with unlimited wine. La Rosiere is definitely not an obsure resort and at 1850 metres there aren't that many higher resorts. Just to conclude the comparison our I'd say our prices offer much better value.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a bit of an old hand at this now. I find, as long as I book reasonably early or at the last minute, i'm okay. I've looked at your link and the Cristallo in Courmayeur is one of the places I've considered in the past as they do a certain number of single rooms through, I think, Mark Warner or TOPs - one of the all-inclusive people. These are also quite good as you don't have to go out on your own every night to eat (I'm female, and it's not always comfortable). However, I've booked this year to go to Bad Gastein (which I'd never heard of, but looks to have good ski-ing) through Ski Miguel and, because I'm going in January and it's quiet then, they've given me a double room for the price of a single with no supplement - and I booked some months ago. However, last year I went to a hotel in Cervinia through Crystal/Thompson (can't remember which but spot the difference), also with no single supp., and previously to Wengen. And last year, when I couldn't bear not to cram in a final week at the end of the season, I went to a "VIP" chalet in Val d'Isere - again with no single supp. for a double room, and wall-to-wall luxury - I had to arrange my own transport though. If you get the brochures early and plough through looking for the "no single Supp" offers, or ring Iglu, they can usually come up with something. Have you looked at Saas Fee? It's usually the older, more established resorts with hotels that were built some time ago that provided singles, and some of these are in the "better" resorts - the purpose built ones usually cater for couples. But you probably know all this already! You probably also know that single rooms tend to be "compact" or worse, but who cares if you're out ski-ing all day, and there's no-one to complain about your mess!
But I fully agree with your comments if you want to go in high season - and who can blame them for wanting to get two paying people in a room rather than one. I get round this problem by allowing my husband to come when I go later in the season.
When I was young, carefree and a bit nuts I got on a train and turned up in a ski resort, banking on the fact that anyone with a spare room would be pleased to fill it for a knock-down price. I remember a week in Sauze d'Oulx (well, you can't have everything!) when I had a 2-bedroom apartment to myself for a week for peanuts. I think those days are gone, sadly.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David@traxvax, I've never heard of you before, but sounds interesting and La Rosiere is somewhere I definitely like the look of. I shall consider you next year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kuwait_ian, Just booked a week with http://www.cheapwintersports.com/ in Vallandry(opposite La Plagne) at the Mt Blanc (great grub reputation & cheap beer) H/B inc. pass, inc. travel for 399squid and I'm getting a room to myself for no xtra. Got to go cheap 'cos spawn of Masque wants a £130 hifi helmet for his birthday . . !

. . . if you want a room on you own . . . you could just sent them a picture? snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
.... the one where you're holding a chainsaw.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, skiied over to Les Arcs from La Plagne last week, and ate in the Mt Blanc. You should be well looked after. They did a cracking English Brekkie for 7Euro and had a great English menu as well. Getting sick of all Pasta, Steaks, Omelettes etc, we were overjoyed to see Sausage, Mash and Onion Gravy on their menu Wink The Mt Blanc is run by 100% British people too!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As a single traveller, I tend to leave it to the last minute to book, and that way you usually get a discount, and avoid paying a single supplement.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great . . . I don’t normally do brecky on t’snow on the grounds that I’d have to wait longer for decent pain relief and anesthesia. But, since I’m determined to stay fit enough to ski with the Ice Queen and her mates in Feb. (if only to demonstrate that a snowboard has the ‘edge’ – on piste and off), a decent breakfast might just be the ballast I need to slow down and work on my abysmal technique on two sticks.

Just about to bid on a pair of Rossignol Power Pulsion 9S’ on eBay to play on the tight turns, I’ve the Intuitiv74s for the soft stuff.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Of course I don't get to go on many holidays these days, but single supplements are really outrageous. How dare they insist that you either have to share with a stranger or pay a huge supplement. Good on you David@traxvax, and all others who don't.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think that must be one of the main differences between hotels (etc) in Europe and those in the USA - out here you pay for the room, not for how many people use it, although you sometimes pay a supplement for an extra person - one bed usually indicates that the room is for a maximum of two people, and two beds indicate a maximum of four (I did say usually), and quite often there is a sleep sofa which will take two, too!
easiski, I agree with you - I'd be outraged if I was asked to share with a stranger - unless I was staying a youth hostel (which I really think I've grown out of now, since I can afford to stay in hotels).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the comments guys. I put more over a hotel bar than many couples, eat only one meal so if the room is available why the hell should there be a supplement for a late availability booking ?? But it's locked into many T.O. web sites and dynamite won't shift it. O800 numbers don't work from overseas so it's not so easy to pick up a late availability deal.
I'm off to Les Arcs in January - H/B for 58 Euros and 20 Euros per night single supp which I find bearable. (It's the price of a few beers). First time doing it independent. Flying Squirrel helped with the hotel. David, will bear La Ros in mind if I get a chance to go again late season. You're on my list.
Oh and I'm told I snore like a bullfrog and can blanket ruffle like a Force 9 so you don't want to be a snowHead sharing with me. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian, In the old days when most of my friends were not introduced to sliding, I would get one of those late availability holidays. You chose the resort, but if you went to France the chances were you would be in an apartment with three or four like minded people. Great fun, just like a chalet holiday, you could get decent people on the other hand you could get the dregs of society. I was lucky enough.

A modern day possibility would be to contact David@traxvax,

Have fun and happly skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kuwait_ian, I also snore like a foghorn, but I sleep like the dead, so I would be happy to share with you.
snow conditions
kuwait_ian wrote:
Anyone any experience of Friendship Travel .

Ian, sorry, only just picked up on this thread. Went with these people last year and I have to say that I thought they were brilliant, although they are are actually travel agents and the holidays are Mark Warner, except that Friendship Travel do a special deal to offer single rooms without a supplement (actually MW do that themselves in one or two resorts). However, a rep from Friendship does meet you at Gatwick to ensure all is OK.

The other advantage (depending on your point of view rolling eyes ) is that if all the single rooms have gone, then you can share (sorry - same sex only Shocked ) at the same price.

If Friendship have got any space left, then of course they look a bit dear against current discounts.

I went to Courmayeur / Cristallo and it's an Ok chalethotel. But as as David says, Tracks can offer the same thing only cheaper!

If you want any extra info, just PM me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy