Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Food in Austrian Ski Huts

Poster: A snowHead
Hey fellow snowheads... snowHead

Can any of you possibly post here the typical food that can be found in the Austrian ski huts and what the average price usually is? Previously I've always been the sandwich on lift kind of guy, but this year I will be allowing myself the luxury of a decent lunch on the slopes and I need to plan my budget for 6 days rolling eyes

Thanks,
Markus
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All you need is Wiener Schnitzel mit Pommes (plus one drink) : will cost you about €17-20. I think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tiroler Groestl, bacon/pork with potatoes, onions and an egg. Delicious and a filling, not too expensive lunch.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markus This site has good descriptions of the various Austrian culinary specialities you can get in the Mountain huts.
Main dish favourites are Tiroler Gröstl, Leberkäse (tastes like cooked luncheon meat) mit SpiegelEi (Fried Egg), Jägerschnitzel (pork schnitzel in a mushroom sauce).

If you need carbo loading after all that exercise try a Germknödel mit VanilleSauce for dessert! Shocked Toofy Grin

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 15-11-08 18:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spare ribs and chips mmmmmmmmmmmmmm about 12 - 15 euros
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markus, Can't wait to get back to a good Tiroler Groestl next feb.Also a good Goulash soup for lunchtime warmer. Depends where you go(resort) on the prices but in the ski-welt you'd be able to buy all that for 20 euros. Get in those huts it's great food. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grillwurst mit pommes, burger mit pommes, (pork/turkey) schnitzel mit pommes, apfel strudel, topfen strudel, pizza, pasta, etc, etc.

Figure on €10-15 for a huge lunch and you won't be far wrong - about €7-10 for the main course and soft drink, and €3-5 for the mandatory pudding.

My keyboard is now covered in saliva... wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markus, Where are you going ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mmmmm Tiroler Groestl! I discovered that this April! Yummy! was roughly €6ish and nearly upto €5 for a large fizzy drink! Mmmmmm making me hungry thinking about it!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markus, Lots of grilled food available, also a fair amount of pasta. And chips, of course.

Soups can also be good, particularly the Goulaschsuppe.

Depending on where you go and what you choose, main courses can be anything from about €6 to €15. For me, a main course is usuallyl enough when i am skiing, although I did fancy some of the puddings last year.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I stick to a week of ham and cheese toasties with chips and a coke!

Adventerous i know NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

a good Goulash soup for lunchtime warmer
Gulaschsuppe, or some other 'soup of the day' is often the cheapest and most nutritious bet, particularly since it invariably comes with loads of good, rustic bread.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A Goulash soup with a slice of bread, or the local roll is usually €4-5.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markus, Got to be Gulaschsuppe for me. A meal in itself and tastes amazing. Will set you back anywhere between €4-7 depending on how posh the hut is. Good beer will set you back around €4.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ousekjarr wrote:
and €3-5 for the mandatory pudding.

Like this one

Lech, the 'hut' on run 34 above the town. Lunch, lederhosen and puddings!![/img]
ski holidays
Have to say, the food was delicious in Kitz last season. I'm vegetarian so I'm often hampered by lack of choice when traveling, but I can speak the lingo enough to explain what I do and don't eat. Highlights for me were an onion soup with bits of pancake type batter in it and spinach dumplings with cheese sauce. Yummy...
ski holidays
Certainly not the overpriced manufactured garbage you eat in the UK wink

French Fries/Chips in Austria are relatively new. 20 yrs ago you were served with Spätzle or Pasta.
latest report
We're staying in Mittersill which is linked into the Kitzbuhel ski area.

Thanks very much everyone, sounds great Very Happy The hotel meal in the evening will be (hopefully) very filling so stuff like Goulaschsuppe and Tiroler Groestl sounds fab! And of course the mandatory weissbier Toofy Grin
ski holidays
How has nobody mentioned Kaiserschmarren yet? For those not in the know, it’s a cross between a pancake and a sweet omelette, usually served with stewed fruit of some kind. Cannot be beaten for carbo-loading Twisted Evil

I’d say that food in Austrian huts is generally better than France, and often cheaper. But try and track down some of the ‘traditional’ huts (i.e. not school canteen style self-catering places)...they can be amazing. Only danger is that you stay all afternoon and miss out on skiing! snowHead
latest report
How about 'Germknudell' spelling is a guess about 4 euros the sweet dumpling with jam in the middle.
latest report
Another vote for Germknödel mit VanilleSauce
I have it at least every second day
The other days it varies between most of the things listed above
snow conditions
Markus, your subject line could continue "...is the reason to go there instead of France" Very Happy
snow report
Austrian Huts - I've never skied in Austria, is a 'hut' a different concept to the mountain bar/restaurant that I've been to in France and Switzerland
snow conditions
Megamum, they tend to be smaller, family run restaurants on the mountain as opposed to the motorway service station type places one encounters in purpose built resorts. Very atmospheric and characterful, they may double as farm buildings or hunters huts in the summer.

Are you planning to try Austria this year?
ski holidays
Megamum, many of them are old wooden buildings, or new buildings done in the traditional style, and they range from seating for about 20 people inside to places which take 100+ inside, and 200+ outside at peak times. Apart from serving good food at good prices, they understand two concepts which seem to be rare these days - it is quick, and the service is generally excellently provided by friendly, happy, efficient people who give the impression that there is nowhere else in the world they'd rather be, and no other job they'd ever dream of doing.

Last year, I fancied a mid-afternoon hot chocolate and a Mars bar. We stopped at a hut, ordered the chocolate, and asked for a Mars bar. The waiter apologised, and explained that they didn't sell them. Having decided to do without (it was just one of those days, OK?), he returned with our drinks - and a Mars bar. He'd got one from his car, in pristine condition, and refused to accept any money for it. Little Angel

Most of them prepare everything fresh on the premises wherever they can, so you'll see dough being mixed in the back for their bread, the strudel is to their own recipe, and so on. No packet soups or anything like that, with the exception of frozen chips in most places.

There are also some "service station" type places in the larger resorts, but they're massively outnumbered by the small family concerns.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy