Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sorry, it's another 'What ski' question!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I'm of a mind to finally take the plunge and buy some skis - mainly because I'm likely to have 3 separate weeks away this year and given that our dear old pound doesn't buy much in the way of anything these days it looks like it makes financial sense to buy skis, especially if I get the chance to have a few days up at Glenshee. However, for this to work I'd have to buy the skis in the UK and wouldn't be able to try them out much...

Standards are hard things to judge but I suppose I'm happy on all pisted slopes in most conditions, not too bad on the bumps when they're not just lumps of ice. I've done most of my skiing at Val D'Isere / Tignes and am happy on all the pistes there and have been happy over most of the mountain in Banff/LL - I'm too old/crap/disinterested for the park tho Smile I'll be going on a week's off piste course this year as well.

I'm 194cm / 75 kg ish (6'4" / 11.5 stone in old money)

So my questions;
1. Should I bother buying skis or stick to hiring?
2. I know the best thing is to try before you buy but will I really know the difference? I've hired load of different skis in the past and have to be honest and say I've never been able to tell the difference - I'm generally more of the mind that any skis I've had are better than me and are not limiting me.
3. Anybody have recommendations for ski shops in Central Scotland?
4. Oh yeah, and I suppose I should put in a 'what ski' question as well Smile Guess I'm looking for a bit of do-it-all thing - anybody know anything about Head Xenons (10??) or similar?

Thanks for bearing with me, any advice gratefully received Very Happy

Cheers,
Nigel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nige, welcome to sHs snowHead

My thoughts on your questions:

1. You'll get different answers here. I am a little paranoid about bindings, so like to have my own skis. Otherwise there are pros and cons. Pro: You know our skis and are ready to ski when you arrive. Con: You have to lug them around when travelling, if you fly to resort, their transport can coast quite a bit. If you ski but 3 weeks a year (I do to) it is debatable whether you get your money back, you have to look after their maintenance.

2. I am surprised you cannot tell the difference; but if you can't, you can't.

3. Can't advise.

4. Haven't tried this seasons skis - but in the past I would have thought about something like a K2 Apache Recon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. buying is probably cheaper in the long run, but it is less flexible Wink
2. buy something you skied before then.... not much chance of hitting something you couldn't get along on.
3. no clue, if you want to buy in the netherlands i may help you Wink
4. do-it-all ... something by Movement seems to be pretty universal....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. Here in canada hiring equipment for 3 weeks would be 50% of the whole intermediate ski pack. i would consider buying. Can't answer 2,3.
4. Yes, I know Head Xenons. I'm buying Xenon X.I. 6.0 2009. Heard nice skis
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In Glasgow there's an Ellis Brigham in the Braehead xscape, a Nevis Sport on Saucihall Street, and 'Blues' in Tiso
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Freeze in Edinburgh are good as well, the staff are very helpful
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nige wrote:

So my questions;
1. Should I bother buying skis or stick to hiring?
2. I know the best thing is to try before you buy but will I really know the difference? I've hired load of different skis in the past and have to be honest and say I've never been able to tell the difference - I'm generally more of the mind that any skis I've had are better than me and are not limiting me.
3. Anybody have recommendations for ski shops in Central Scotland?
4. Oh yeah, and I suppose I should put in a 'what ski' question as well Smile Guess I'm looking for a bit of do-it-all thing - anybody know anything about Head Xenons (10??) or similar?

1. Up to you, but I'd buy for 3 weeks use and they'll be fine for the following season too (at least)
2. You're obviously not too fussy, but you'd probably notice the difference between race slalom and powder barges.
3. No idea
4. Head Xenons are unlikely to be a disappointment given your comments above. Perhaps consider Head Monsters if you want something a little more all-mountain.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I am bias, since I am involved in the ski rental business, but I believe its best for you to continue to hire.....

if you are skiing for 21 days, then you can rent in Whistler for around $500 including taxes etc... so if you did that for 3 years, then you would have spent $1500, which is about the same as buying (high performance skis/bindings/boots/ski poles) yes you can buy cheaper for second hand / last years model but thats half my point.

In 3 years time you have broken even, and in the meantime you have to worry about maintenance / transporting your skis. you are also now skiing 3 year old skis.

By renting, you get to ski current season models every year, you get to change skis depending on snow conditions (free to change in whistler, maybe not other resorts), you don't have to worry about waxing/edging/base repair. You don't have the hassle of getting skis on and off planes or cars....

and thats if you hire 21 days each season, it takes even longer to break even if you ski less (obviously less time if you ski more... duh)

more specifically to the original poster, if you can't tell the difference between different skis, then you really shouldn't buy. different skis react WAY differently to each other......

update: I forgot to mention that I FULLY support buying you own boots and renting the rest. good boots make or break the skier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you tune your own skis and want to ensure a perfect edge then buy your own and run a diamond file over them every other day. Same if you have a preference for more acute edge angles than the standard manufacturers provide.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy