Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another looking for guidance on what ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to France for 5 months this season - in 3 weeks time snowHead and it seems sensible to consider buying my first pair of skis

I know from the benefit of having mainly lurked around snowheads for years that 'try before you buy' is the maxim - the question is what skis should I be thinking about trying? I know precious little about the beasts save that you click in and slide and while I must have used a wide variety over the last few years can't say I remember either what they were or their relative merits - though did quite like the 'pingy' Volkl Attiva thingies I rented in Wengen

The about me bit - I'm 46 (aaaargh that was painful!) 5'6" and weigh the lower end of 12 stone (aaargh even more painful, but hoping that will drop substantially on a diet of fresh air and exercise - where's the flying pig smiley?) and female if the username doesn't make that fairly obvious.

On the snow, I ski like a godess!!......or as I'm looking for sensible advice,

I suppose I'm a safe 'mummy' type (read prone to moments of extreme cautiousness) - happy on blues and reds and have 'scraped' down some of the easier blacks if I didn't know they were until it was too late, at the moment almost exclusively piste based. I want to come back from France competent/confident on all pistes and at least having tried off piste beyond dabbling outside the markers and between pistes but don't harbour any delusions that I'll be hiking off into uncharted territory on a daily basis. I'll undoubtedly be taking some lessons both locally and probably with Easiski to help achieve this.

So, on that basis, oh wise ones, would you be so kind as to throw some ideas into the pot as to the kind of things I might want to try?

Oh yes, and I sport an entirely black ensemble so any colour will do wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Annie and welcome to Snowheads! Can't offer a huge amount of advice, but I bought some Salomon X-wing Tornados last year and loved them... Amazing for on piste carving and cope with anything I could throw at them... Not the floatiest in powder, but they can cope. They may be a little stiff for your ability though, I'm sure someone else will provide way better advice, I just wanted to say how jealous I (and im sure everyone else) is that you get to go away for the season! ENJOY!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Annie, Congratulations on having the ability to go for 5 months!

Out of all 'what ski' topics, you must be one of the more difficult to advise ones as you'll be a totally different skier by the end of your 5 month trip.

But considering the level you aim to achieve.... And considering you'll likely want 1 pair Wink

Movement Spicy. A reasonably wide (as long as the zookeeper doesn't see this thread) ski that will do very well on piste indeed.

The tornado's mentioned by jonpim are not bad at all, but I find the Spark (male model of spicy) more responsive then the tornado.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annie, I suspect you want some form of "Piste Performance" range. Get a copy of Skieur magazine from this month - it has extensive reviews. Remember that reviews won't necessarily reflect what you feel on the skis. But they'll give you ideas. Or check out http://www.skieur.com/

If you buy something piste oriented as you'll mostly be on piste. You can always rent fatter things for off piste and powder days.

It's difficult to buy a bad ski these days. Wedze (Decathlon/Quechua) might be an idea - Dynastar "2nds" I believe at preposterously cheap prices. E.g. http://www.wedze.com/EN/srx-800-s-kz10-package-47590999/ - £299 incl bindings.

Also, no shame in using last (or previous) years skis. Rental shops often sell off last years models. Easiski will advise.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks gents - some pointers to start with gratefully received.

David Murdoch Definitely no problem with last year or even older graphics etc (let's face it, any performance enhancements where they exist at all will be way too subtle for me to appreciate!) In my book, cheap is good, with skis for the flying bogee and robthenav who are both far more discerning than I, to come out of the fast dwindling money pot as well. A trip to Decathlon in Sallanches and a trawl round the various bargain basements of the rental guys may well be on the list along with a bit of easiski brain picking which was a given anyway.

Ronald I certainly hope you are right! A transformation from squawking chicken to something more useful on the snow would be very welcome indeed. - Like the look of the spicy.......in a complete U turn to my comment to David above, they're very pretty!!!!

jonboy21 Thanks for the welcome - I'm not exactly new, but it's nice anyway!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch wrote:
It's difficult to buy a bad ski these days. Wedze (Decathlon/Quechua) might be an idea - Dynastar "2nds" I believe at preposterously cheap prices. E.g. http://www.wedze.com/EN/srx-800-s-kz10-package-47590999/ - £299 incl bindings.

A friend bought a pair of these and was very happy with them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elan skis seem to go quite cheaply on Ebay, why don't you buy a cheap pair (~£100) to take with you, then experiment with hiring others when you're there and a bit more confident.
A quick look on ebay shows these http://tinyurl.com/6k94x4 which seem to have been going for around £80!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am against 'holiday' skiers buying skis, and I have decided to make a short 'generic' post about it. I will paste it in here.
I must point out, I am in the ski rental business.... in a way....
anyway

This season, lets say you ski for 21 days, then you can rent in Whistler for around $500 including taxes etc... so if you did that for 3 years, then you would have spent $1500, which is about the same as buying (high performance skis/bindings/boots/ski poles) yes you can buy cheaper for second hand / last years model but thats half my point.

In 3 years time you have broken even, and in the meantime you have to worry about maintenance / transporting your skis. you are also now skiing 3 year old skis.

By renting, you get to ski current season models every year, you get to change skis depending on snow conditions (free to change in whistler, maybe not other resorts), you don't have to worry about waxing/edging/base repair. You don't have the hassle of getting skis on and off planes or cars....

Thats if you hire 21 days each season, it takes even longer to break even if you ski less (obviously less time if you ski more... duh)

so I suggest people reconsider if its worth actually buying skis....

I do think it is best for people to buy their own boots, good (fitting) boots are important.

and unlike lynseyf there, I am open about my business, and don't stuff ebay cookies on peoples computers trying to get them to buy stuff they don't need.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wbsr,

fair points.and I hired for years to take out this hassle.

But..... that assumes you can find the ski you want or close to it...some shops are good at this others aren't or just don't have the stock. Whistler may be an exception here but you'll be surprised at some large resorts stock in Europe.

If I could find what I wanted all the time, then I would still hire... even at around 100eu per 6 days.. but some resorts have 2 shops and others loads.. some have older stock and bad condition..

If you aren't that picky about what you ski on.. and you knew the resort then you can hire..but if you want what you want, it will likely be a compromise

And don't get me started trying to find a touring ski....

For 5 months, I say to the OP, get your owm....maybe buy locally and maybe not brand new...juts get a good ski for what you want from a shop you have befriended.
A lot of euro resorts have 3 tariffs.....punter, seasonairre and local...so look out for that as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy