Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wide skis off piste are less likely to cause an avalanche..............

Poster: A snowHead
Discuss.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it depends
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...when used exclusively for standing around at the bottom of the Midi telepherique posing and trying to pick up passing birds.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, since when have there been any birds in cham apart from chuffs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
.... than this:

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
if you've got wide skis, you're more likely to be inclined to go off piste in the first place where there's greater danger of avalanche... so the skis might actually put you in a position to cause the avalanche in the first place Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wide skis are for pussys with bad technique. Pair of Long GS skis should do if you know what you are doing

* I would like to take this opportunity to point out that I use fat skis Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the truly hard core have some non release bindings on langlauf skis for off piste. Razz
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
papasmurf, langlauf skis, you have langlauf skis? You don't have to find a 30 foot maple and hack your skis out with an axe?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Word of advice to the guy sat on the portapotty next to the gun "if you didn't sit so close to it then you probably wouldn't have to put your fingers in your ears rolling eyes "
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, I wittled my Langlauf skis out of polar bear claws and shark spines. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are rax skis more likely to cause them than fat powder boards?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FenlandSkier, agreed, deafened skiers cause more avalanches per capita.

papasmurf wrote:
comprex, I wittled my Langlauf skis out of polar bear claws and shark spines. Toofy Grin

This is what we call 'working too hard'. Put smurfette to chewing the hide for binding leather, put your feet up on a dog or two and have a pint of fermented seal fat. I mean what's life if you don't enjoy it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
good point comprex, time to throw some Hákarl on the barbie aswell
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier wrote:
Word of advice to the guy sat on the portapotty next to the gun "if you didn't sit so close to it then you probably wouldn't have to put your fingers in your ears rolling eyes "
And the shockwave wouldn't rupture your sphincter and make you crap in a bucket.
latest report
So does it follow that if SZK is correct in his assertion that boarders would be less likely to cause avalanches than skiers wink

{b]Megamum[/b] gently stirs the pot - just a little Twisted Evil

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 15-11-08 0:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I have simple ideas here, wondering if anyone else does????????
snow conditions
Megamum, gently??? Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

On a pure physics level there is a simple answer re pressure and stress on the snowpack..but I'd be surprised if you can prove the marginally impact on skier triggered avys.
ski holidays
Quote:

On a pure physics level there is a simple answer re pressure and stress on the snowpack

what would that be then?
snow report
fatbob wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

On a pure physics level there is a simple answer re pressure and stress on the snowpack..

Is there? Are we talking slab avalanches or point release ones?

If point release, wouldn't longer skis also help?

If slab, how does the width of the skis affect what's going on way way down at the weak layer?
ski holidays
Yep I feel I've lumbered into a heffalump trap like in QI -

I expect 21 pages of treatise here like the on the inner tip lead thread - I was simply (and note the GCSE use of the word "simple") expressing a starter for 10 that increased surface area/lower pressure might stress the snowpack less. But there are so many other factors like skier finesse, angle of ski cut etc that in practice I think you'd struggle to show it.

On the slab trigger maybe it is absolute weight and pressure doesn't matter except on entering the pocket where the skinny skier might tip dive.

There you go, by the way it's possible to carve 2 identical and parallel arcs wink

poo-poo I've bitten and SZK achieves his evil ends wink
latest report
fatbob, As always. Twisted Evil
snow report
fatbob, you and SMALLZOOKEEPER, need to get a room Laughing Laughing NehNeh we can do 21 pages of that....
snow report
Quote:
There you go, by the way it's possible to carve 2 identical and parallel arcs wink

I think a V8 just died somewhere in the world... wink
ski holidays
Wider ski, less load, less chance to trigger, quite simple... but I only have Anwarter avalanche training which is nothing much..

Jumping off a drop is 7 times the load of normal skiing the snowpack...
Falling is 10 times the load of skiing the snowpack...

... so that negates any difference in skis Wink

So for all I know, when a skinny ski would trigger the snow, you shouldn't be there on the fattest pontoons SZK sells either.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy