Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva - Cruseille - autoroute status

Poster: A snowHead
FYI - I was driving from Annecy to Geneva today and the new section of autoroute was NOT open.

It appeared that it is very close to completion.

Albertville - the new bypass, alongside the river is nearing completion and should stop the long queues entering the town from Ugine.

Speed cameras - in the last year (I think) there have been 2 new cameras added on the RN from Annecy to Ugine.

1. After the roundabout near Doussard (end of Lac d'Annecy) and the turn to Montmin / Giez - remember it's 90 kph.

2. On the approach to Ugine from Annecy about 1km after you pass from Haute Savoie to Savoie.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marksavoie wrote:
1. After the roundabout near Doussard (end of Lac d'Annecy) and the turn to Montmin / Giez - remember it's 90 kph.

2. On the approach to Ugine from Annecy about 1km after you pass from Haute Savoie to Savoie.

They've been there since the end of last season at least.

Any guesses on when the new section of Autoroute might open? By the end of the month?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
According to my Sat Nav it was open on Sunday. Clearly this was not the case, as evidenced by me driving the same patch of motorway five times (in the dark) in an optimisitic belief that I was wrong and the sat nav woman was right.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zammo, my satnav keeps trying to take me off a slip road and over the new bridge on the A1 at Colsterworth, she just won't have it that they haven't built the bridge yet but rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
is there a map anywhere online showing the new bit of road ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
French engineers built the Millau viaduct in 3 years, from turning the first sod to official opening. I can't believe how long that new bit of motorway has been under construction. Sad
snow conditions
 brian
brian
pam w, it includes a 3km+ tunnel, I think that's what took the time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any updates on whether it is open yet? I'm passing that way at the end of next week so it would be nice if it was ready for me Smile
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rob@rar, according to this, 28th December.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, But you may be in luck for your return journey
Quote:

the opening stretch of 19 km is scheduled for 28 December. It susurre as it could be advanced to mid-December, according to the duration of the tests

Watch out for the speed radars in place on the new section!
Quote:
two radars will be installed, one at the tunnel exit in the direction Annecy-Geneva and the other out of the cutting at Noiret in the Geneva-Annecy area .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It may open on 12 December see http://a-41.over-blog.com/categorie-360675.html
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Following Video shows speeded up journey on new motorway. Official opening ceremony tomorrow and should open to the public within 2 weeks.

http://a-41.over-blog.com/categorie-352057.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
groguk, welcome to snowheads. snowHead And thanks - very useful link.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
groguk,

That's clever. There'll be a completed opened new road sitting there empty and on Sunday it will take us the usual 3.5 hours to get to Val because it's not open to the public? I'm confused it's open tomorrow but not to the public. That's French logic I suppose. Mind you we could learn from them about building new roads quickly. If it was here it would only be ready after the ski season rush.

Having said that I wonder if the transfer coaches will use it. Is it a toll road?
latest report
welshflyer, yes
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
Having said that I wonder if the transfer coaches will use it. Is it a toll road?

It is, and I'd be very surprised if transfer coaches did use it. They avoid the current toll roads.
latest report
As well as beind a toll rd the motorway was also longer and slower -so the new bit should make it quicker so more tansfer companies may use it- instead of sitting in the jam on the back rd
ski holidays
Quote:

Mind you we could learn from them about building new roads quickly.

Quickly? It's taken forever.
latest report
Currently under test, but well worth the wait. Information on the project and the challenges here

http://www.bouygues-construction.com/657i/press/coverages/10-good-reasons-for-taking-to-the-a41-motorway.html

Extract ...
"The A41 by numbers ...
29 months to build
18.8 kilometres long
Construction contract amount: €601 million
Bouygues Construction share: €460 million
3.1-kilometre-long dual two-lane twin-tube tunnel beneath Mount Sion
4 composite steel and concrete viaducts built simultaneously (264 metres, 270 metres, 212 metres and 360 metres long)
around 30 standard bridges, culverts, etc.
1 cutting, including cut-and-cover section (Noiret, 1,800 metres long, 290 metres c/c)
2 motorway interchanges (Saint-Julien-en-Genevois & Villy-le-Pelloux)
2 interchanges with national highways (Cruseilles East & West)
2 half-interchanges at Copponex
1 toll plaza at Villy-le-Pelloux
2 service areas near the Caille bridges"
snow conditions
They are not very honest about this road. They first started to build it over 6 years ago, maybe even longer. Ran into problems with land access and money. Stopped work for a while, but bits of it were fun to drive on if you took the chance. Great way to avoid the traffic jams in the dark. Now they are finally finishing it. I would say in total it has taken over 8 years, but who cares it will soon be open. Great for me anyway. I do the trip from Geneva to Annecy very often.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They've certainly been working on this since 2002, from my own experience of driving the route.
snow report
Not long now, opening ceremony took place today … http://a-41.over-blog.com/article-25477393.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Map of the new bit anywhere?

I'm sure I'll be on it come early Jan, would be useful to check that TomTom know's it's open...
latest report
This link should give an idea http://liane.area-enligne.com/trajet.php
latest report
The opening of the Motorway has been delayed due to ..... snow http://a-41.over-blog.com/categorie-352057.html
ski holidays
It is now due to open on Monday at 2pm http://www.adelac-a41.com/fr/construction/news.php?id_news=0085 More information and map here http://www.liane-autoroute.com/
ski holidays
We drove past it today(Saturday 20 Jan) and it looked ready but had no cars on it. The road was confusing. Approaching from Annecy there were some signs directing to Chamonix and Geneva on the same lane, but nothing that made it clear whether the new motorway was in use. There were several other signs with black coverings on place names etc. We drove via Crusailles to Geneva rather than risk being sent the wrong way.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's open - the signs were clearly up indicating as much, though we went the other way.
snow conditions
Anyone used the new stretch of motorway? Is it easy to find coming from GVA airport?
latest report
Villz wrote:
Anyone used the new stretch of motorway? Is it easy to find coming from GVA airport?

Yes it's a doddle - follow signs for france coming out of GVA and then follow autoroute signs for Annecy, this will take you onto the new bit of road not that long after you have crossed the border.

Note I did a tomtom update on Saturday prior to setting off for GVA and it didn't seem to have the correction in for the new bit of road, so I just turned it off for that section, and turned it back on when back on what tomtom would consider a road rather than a field..
snow report
bertie bassett, Thanks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy