Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

G3 Spitfire Ski for touring

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering a pair of G3 (Genuine Gear Guide) Spitfire skis, mounted with Fritschi Freeride Plus, probably length 177cm (though considering 184cm)

http://www.genuineguidegear.com/g3_skis_spit.html
Dimensions: 123-89-111 Weight: 3.5kg

Anyone ridden pair of these and have an opinion on them?

My current setup, which works well the largely icey and flat conditions of very short tours I do in scotland, are old school 67mm underfoot. But for alpine touring I'm think of jump up to these 89mm, for more float. 89mm seem pretty wide to me, but appear to fairly middle of the road these days. Anyone consider 89mm too wide for alpine touring? (short 1-2day tours, not light weight long touring, haute route style.)

Me: 6ft1inch, 13 stone (182lb)
185cm 82.5kg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickBrown, Welcome

My friend teles Rapid Transits and loves them...and is going to go wider and longer. I would think that rig would be ok for day tours if you are fit.
I would look seriously at all their models for a duke set-up but I don't want to skin more than an hour of so...

I think the skis/brand are very much on the lines of Movement skis...and may even be made in the same factory
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
should be fine
i'd stick dynafits on them myself if you're planning on doing a reasonable amount of uphill
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickBrown, I have skied alpine on the El Hombres and they are great fun in the powder but pretty hard work everywhere else as expected. Very light.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys!
I'm reasonably fit, and as they are for shorter tours (day, and perhaps 2-3 at a stretch) and backcountry use the weight is not a critical factor for me. I'd rather have a firmer ski for control and getting through the crud.
I think the G3 Spitfire is probably somewhat similar to the Movement Thunder.
Compare to my old school 68mm salomon ski, they should be a dream in the powder and in general off-piste.
Its a shame I cannot test ride the spitfire, but they seem great, so I just need to make my mind up on length, 177cm or 184cm. My old ski is 179cm. decisions decisions.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NickBrown,

I will try the Thunder this year...as they are easier to get hold of than G3's and would expect a very good 89mm all round ski with a lighter weight than usual for its size and performance.

All the people I have spoken too..none have a bad word to say about the Thunder...except the hire-shop in Grimentz who told me they were a very different ski to the Spark, which is not to say they meant bad, just different. I regret not trying them then as I really like the sound of them now.
Both Spark and Thunder have good touring tendencies say Movement.

http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/movement.html

I often recommend people talk to these guys as I liked the service they gave me...they might even have some new 'old' stock at decent prices...

You could try Facewest as well
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone have an opinion on length of the G3 Spitfire, given by height and weight? 177cm or 184cm?
Longer = more float and stability. Shorter = easier turning.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy