Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

replacing boot 'power straps'

Poster: A snowHead
The velcro straps on my boots have finally given-up the ghost ... but is it possible to replace them?

I've seen things called 'booster straps' in S&R - but are these the same as the power-straps on my boots? If they are, how easy/tricky are they to fit?

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Absolute doddle to fit. Our very own CEM does them mail order. http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/catalogue_main.php?catID=1065
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abj, or as you suggest just get the Boosters from SnR if a visit to CEM isn't easy. Take the boots in and get the monkey at SnR to fit them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abj, honest answer is it depends on the boot, the power strap on some boots is riveted in place on some it is screwed in place, the riveted ones are harder to deal with as you have to drill out the rivets once that little task is done thn it is simply a case of punching a couple of holes through the booster at an appropriate point and attachign them to the boot with a screw in rivet and big washers

if you can use a drill and a screwdriver then it is a pretty easy job i could talk you though it step by step, if you are not tech minded get someone else to do it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abj, what boots are they?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Surefoot in Fulham also sell them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, my boots are Salomon X-Wave 8s (about 4 years old)

CEM, the boots are stuck-up in the loft at the moment, so I haven't looked at how the strap is attached (screw / rivet). Although, I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a rivet.

I'll brave the loft this evening and will have look.

So the 'Booster Strap' is pretty much the same as the velcro strap already on the boot?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abj wrote:

So the 'Booster Strap' is pretty much the same as the velcro strap already on the boot?

It fits in the same spot. It can be made a lot tighter (not a good idea for blood flow) and a lot more progressive than the velcro strap. Some (Nordica) Velcro straps are actually Y shaped instead of the normal Velcro strap O and include a booster strip behind the spine of the boot.

If you search here and on Epic you'll find dozens of threads on different ways to wear them (inside or outside the boot, Kryptons and other 3 piece shells getting special mention). The only other salient difference I can think of is that they are not as convenient for carrying the boots as there is no Velcro from one boot to stick onto that from the other and make a carry strap.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex wrote:
The only other salient difference I can think of is that they are not as convenient for carrying the boots as there is no Velcro from one boot to stick onto that from the other and make a carry strap.

but you put one boot's strap through the other boot's clip (if that makes any sense at all) which achieves pretty much the same thing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, true. I really can't be bothered to re-thread the cam buckles every time, mind.

Jr. version to 80flex, adult 2-ply to 120flex, 3ply to 150, 3ply with shunt or double up beyond that, you reckon that's fair?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abj, ........and you win a prize!!

Salomon very kindly have placed a rear spoiler adjuster bolt at just the right height on your boots to double up as a booster strap retainer.

1. Drill out the rivets holding in you're old strap. In fact you don't have to drill em out properly. As you drill them they get hot, weaken the plastic around them and pop out.

2. Line up the booster strap where you want it to go. Easiest way; put on boots and put on the strap. Mark the strap where it lines up with the spoiler bolt.

3. Impress Mrs and entertain family by heating a girt big nail on the hob. 6" are good - as are pliers or grippers unless you don't believe in heat conduction in metals.

4. Push the nail through the strap in spot marked earlier.

The real issue now is; do you have the strap under or over the shell..............
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1. Laughing
2. Cool
3. Laughing Laughing
4. Cool

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i would fix the booster using 2 screw in rivets supplied by a kind outlet supplying said booster,

using the spoiler rivet is ok but not as secure
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, Laughing Well if it's as fun as you make it sound, bring on the red hot nails Toofy Grin

... I'll have a proper look at the boot this evening and see if this is something that I'm brave enough to do.

Another question (sorry) - there seem to be a wide range of straps ... intermediate, world-cup, expert. Is there a big difference between each of these?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abj, I fitted my boots with these in March and they work really well. I cant remember which order they went in but I think it was Intermediate, expert and world cup. The intermediate is the most elastic with world cup the least (so you have to really lean in to get it to flex).

I think your weight is pretty important when choosing between them, so I went for expertpair, even though I'm not an expert skier. I think their was some kind of weight chart at the back of the pack and my weight (105kg Embarassed ) tied up with the expert ones.

I really liked them, and theyve given some new life to my old boots.
latest report
abj wrote:

Another question (sorry) - there seem to be a wide range of straps ... intermediate, world-cup, expert. Is there a big difference between each of these?

See my previous answer. Go by the boot flex, and match the strap to the boot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy