Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

grand massif

Poster: A snowHead
i need some help deciding whether to travel to the grand massif (most likely staying in les carroz). i am getting mixed feelings about it - i have read that there is some good skiing but that the lift system is dreadfully outdated and under capacity. I have read about many 2 man wooden slatted lifts and lift queues due to slow lifts. We would be travelling in late march for a long weekend (have also read about weekend busyness due to proximity to geneva). any experience welcomes. we are good skiers (17 weeks) and our primary motivation is to ski a lot. not bothered about apres ski and dont care what the town looks like. thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
backhojo, hi (homphomp here....posting on Michelle's computer!) you have been reading the wrong reviews!! Grand Massif is fine, no wooden slatted chairs that I remember. You would enjoy it
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i have read the resort review on here and the associated comments and all the reader reviews on skiclub.
i am getting a bad feeling as about 4/5 people have said the lift system is inadequate and slow . "reminds me of what skiing was like 15yrs ago" said one reviewer "too many long slow lifts" said another.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
backhojo, but if asked, I am sure those people would say they had a great trip and the skiing was fun and varied with great runs to the outlying villages and decent lifts in the main Flaine bowl. Those SKGB reports tend to be ultra critical. And, for a weekend, less than an hour from Geneva beats flogging up the Tarentaise valleys. It'll be absolutely fine and you won't scratch the surface in a weekend. Enjoy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
it will be a long weekend. 3 full days on the piste. we went to la clussaz last year and pretty much skied it out in 3 days. we hate slow lifts especialy 2 man chairs !!! and i believe there are a fiar number of drags ?
we woudl not go tarentaise for a weekend - you are exactly right in that it is too far. the alternative is porte du soleil.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
backhojo, Grand Massif is a great long weekend destination. Its got a great range of pistes and easy access off piste (mind the holes). I've done an awful lot of resorts and it doesn't stick in my mind as being any worse in the lift stakes than any others. If you stay in Les Carroz and ski the Grand Massif there are a couple of bottleneck lifts on there trek over and back but lifts are quite rapid and it doesn't take as long as you'd think even if you hit peak time.
I'd stop looking at the piste map and fretting about the lifts and think more about the runs, you'll have a much better time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
backhojo, we learnt to ski in Les Carroz five years ago and, despite going to other resorts most years, we go back to Les Carroz each year and we still love it. The Grand Massif has so much varied skiing and we have never had problems with long lift queues, particularly compared to other more well known resorts that supposedly have a higher uplift capacity. I completely agree with rich, once you stop looking at the piste map and just get on and ski the runs you'll have a great time.
Quote:

2 man wooden slatted lifts
Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
backhojo, I spent a long weekend in Les Carroz about 5 years ago. I don't remember the old lifts either, and have no feeling that the system was any worse or better than other places. We really enjoyed the skiing and the village (not that you're interested in the village wink ) and would go back. The convenience from Geneva is great for a short break and although I wouldn't recommend where WE stayed, there is a SnowHead (Marcellus) who has what looks like a lovely chalet. Go for it! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In all honesty I've been boarding the GM for about 20 weeks over 5 years and so I know all the tricks of which lifts are quick and where the bottlenecks are at what times of day, where the best conditions are am and pm in sun, snow and wind (these are the major advantages of returning to the same resort yearly). Helen Beaumont with have the same insight into Serre Che and other snowheads who return to other places will have the same knowledge of their favourite resorts.

You can't expect to get this kind of insight into ANY big resort in a weekend - I went to Chamonix for a weekend and got a really skewed view of it because I didn't know the best places to go for the conditions we got but I wouldn't write it off as so many snowheads love Cham with a real passion and I will do the Valle Blanche one day! We still had a good time cos we were out on the mountains with snowboards strapped to our feet - could life be any better?? The experience was free with our GM season lift pass too!

I guess what I'm saying is: It's a weekend skiing, you will have a great time exploring somewhere new as long as you don't get consumed with lift rage. The GM has some old lifts and some fabulous new lifts - all the villages have something different to offer - Les Carroz has a fun run called Plein Soliel, Morillon has some cruisey reds and blues and a very chilled out green called Marvel (honestly, even off pisties like me love Marvel for serious chill out time), Samoens has a few crazy blacks and speedy reds and Flaine has a bit of everything - there are great off-piste opps in all places. Oh and Cascades in Sixt is really magical in the right conditions - just don't arrive at the bottom at the end of the day - you have to bus back to Samoens or Morillon and link back to your resort from there.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks - its all very confusing as many of the reviewers imply the slow and creaky lifts made their skiing challenging. i hate long slow lift rides so my first instinct was that would impact too much on our enjoyment, especially if they are the old ones without footrests (i have a dodgy knee and these lifts really hurt !). however it sounds like there are some old lifts but no more than in other resorts. maybe the reviews i have read have been "skewed" as bit ?

what i am now thinking about is snow conditions in mid / late march due to lots of GM being low down. Am i right in thinking is has a record for high snow depths in march ? however even deep snow goes slushy when it is warm i guess. would be interested in your views. We went to la clusaz last year and low down was pretty dire due to very wet snow / rain and slush.
maybe i should got to val thorens !!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

even deep snow goes slushy when it is warm i guess.

Right. However, Flaine is at 1600 - not exactly low. You could go to Avoriaz - also easy from Geneva. Or Les Contamines, where the best of the skiing is at the top, and east facing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
backhojo,

There are no lifts in the GM without foot rests.

I'd need a crystal ball regarding your snow question - but hey, I've boarded the last weekend of the season (around April 16th-ish) for 3 years in powder so go figure. This year in the 2008 season, February was more like spring conditions and Easter was more like midwinter - methinks the God of Snow was having a joke with us.

Wherever you go, you'll end up doing a snowdance in the hope of good conditions - some things you just can't control.

I understand your concern about snow, height and lifts and such when time and holidays are precious and a ski trip is pricey but I'm sure you'll feel happy about the decision once you've booked because you'll be in the hands of the snow gods and you can just focus on having a good time and making the best of what you've got.

FS Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
backhojo, Our weekend in Les Carroz was last weekend of March and late afternoon WAS a bit heavy/slushy but not everywhere. The villages may be lower than others, but the skiing in Flaine and Samoens for example, starts at 1600m - really (without the benefit of clairvoyance wink ) doubt you'd have a problem
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

even deep snow goes slushy when it is warm i guess.

Right. However, Flaine is at 1600 - not exactly low. You could go to Avoriaz - also easy from Geneva. Or Les Contamines, where the best of the skiing is at the top, and east facing.

you are right - 1600 is not low. i was referring to the whole area - i think there are a lot of slopes below 1600 arent there ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
backhojo, this is a cut & paste of my review on Flaine from SCGB site. We've been back since and still felt the same. I can only perhaps remember one older 2 man lift that smacked us hard on the backside and left us both surprised we had got on successfully Shocked I think it was the Diamant Noir. Again from memory there was a long slow one called Perdrix not far from there but easily avoided. I wouldn't listen to reports that the lifts are outdated (apart from the yoghurt pots, see below), as with anywhere, there are lifts that are best avoided at certain times of the day. The skiing there is fab Very Happy

" We visited Flaine first week in April, family of four. Expecting ugly resort and in terms of architecture it certainly is! However the skiing was excellent and piste management very good. Mountain scenery spectacular. Bit of a pain getting up and down from Foret to Forum as the ageing mini funicular type lifts were often out of order or stuck! Good thigh workout though if you took the path!
We generally found the resort significantly more expensive in terms of ski hire, eating out and supermarkets compared to other French resorts and next time would take more supplies up from Cluses. Ski school for our eldest with SEI was good value and well organised.
We did really enjoy a lovely meal in Pizzeria Chez Pierot on Forum Parade as mentioned by another reader.
We were blessed with fantastic weather with a fresh snowfall midweek. Would not want to visit as a non-skiier in winter."
snow report
backhojo I ski the GM every year and I think you are worrying too much. No-one can guarantee it but the GM normally has an excellent late snow record. As for the lifts, there are some older ones but overall I would say it was comparable to most French resorts if not quite up to some Austrian ones. The extent and variety of slopes is fantastic- I have never got bored of it. Some of the lower slopes may well close but you will have over 265KM to choose from! Enjoy. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Worried about lifts, worried about snow, worried about height, worried about reviews written by the literary equivalent of bloke-in-the-pub?

Just don't go there, go to VDI, La Plagne or La Rosiere like all the other sheep.

The Grand Massif will be wasted on you.
snow report
rungsp,

Is that some reverse psychology I see before me? Lol!

Laughing
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
Worried about lifts, worried about snow, worried about height, worried about reviews written by the literary equivalent of bloke-in-the-pub?

Just don't go there, go to VDI, La Plagne or La Rosiere like all the other sheep.

The Grand Massif will be wasted on you.

not sure what "tone of voice" you are writing this with as its impossible to convey this in type...however you do seem a little harsh !

Our ski time is very prescious to us and want to maximise our slope time. We dont go for apres ski and nice looking towns with good shopping so skiing is the most important factor. We tried somewhere different last year (la clusaz) and whilst it was OK there were certain aspects that we didnt like. the last day was a washout due to rain. if we coudl have got higher than 2300m then we woudl have got some sking but we couldnt. we are also trying Alpe d'huez for the first time this year. We have tried the sella ronda and andorra. we dont just stick to the main tarrentaise resorts like the "sheep".
what spoils our holiday is queues on lifts. In 17 weeks skiing i only ever recall one queue longer than 5 mins. we also dont like being trapped in a low down small area (if the links to flaine are closed how do we get out of the les carroz ski area ? i have heard the links are often down ? again this could be just a couple of people who hit it on a bad week - but then knowing my luck this will happen to us !!)
bloke-in-pub opinions is why i come into the forum. anecdotal evidence can be helpful , likewise it can be skewed if someone had a bad day.
VDI - we are looking at this simply to give us more snow-sureness and height options. also not likely to go there in the next few years with the family as kids very young and i believe some of the home runs are tricky for kids
La ros - never been and dont want to !! not big enough and challenging enough for us
la plagne - been there loads of times and like it but want a change

cheers (& "Baa" ! )
latest report
ps - my "attention to detail" and "tenacity" when purchasing anything often gets misconstrued as "worry". It usually pays off in the end though and means we get more "bang for our buck" !!
snow report
backhojo, "got higher than 2300m" Top of flaine is 2500m. Its not height that counts but orientation.
It is very very rare that you can not get to flaine, but there are two lifts (go to same place) that are 2 man chairs and slow, then a 8 man chair. The 8 man chair can be closed due to wind at the top. In that situation you are better in the trees in les carroz anyway. You can drive up to flaine as les carroz ids on the road to flaine, there is also a bus (paying)

The red timalets run back to les carroz base is usually open all season, and they do actually state that on the website, or you can download on the gondola.

les carroz is actually a reasonable looking town however, so based on your comments above may not suit you wink
snow report
Quote:

dont care what the town looks like.

Well book in to Flaine then. Plenty of fast lifts out of here (DMC, 8 man detachable) The more peripheral yyou are in the system the more likely to run into a 2man chair, but there are very few of them now except off the Samoens plateau. Top of Grand Platieres has arguable the best view from a peak in the Alps (ducks the flack...). Fall out of bed onto the piste, huge area, scenic, tree lined in some areas, rollers, moguls, Its really got it all. Theres only 1 resort in France I'd rather be in for a weekend
ski holidays
dont think i will be able to source catered accom in flaine for a long weekend ? i am lead to believe it is mainly self catering ?
i have a good offer from Marcellus and Kandmchalets in les carroz. if we decide we want to go to the grand massif i think this will be ideal for us.
thanks for all your help and advice - it is appreciated. off to go and talk to the other two members of the party and give them all your views to consider. cheers !
ski holidays
Quote:

He has a point... how bad will it be for a weekend, you will find something you like. Book
ski holidays
I seemed a little harsh....you got my tone spot on.

If I seemed a little harsh it's because I thought your worrying was excessive.

The GM is a fabulous ski area, huge and varied.
Flaine is one of the most snow-sure places in Europe, even though it is not one of the highest (all in the orientation and micro-climate).
Lifts are MANY and varied.

Yes! You might even have a lift queue! Would 10 minutes put you off, and ruin your whole trip? If so...then don't go there, in fact don't go anywhere!

You want to have easy access for a weekend (note just a weekend) and not in peak season.

If you go you will have a great time.

The vast majority of Brits seem to go to 3V, VDI/T and La Plagne.
The rest of us spread out.

P.S. If the Gers sector is open (and if you are a good skier) then go and enjoy one of the best long, steep, unpisted (did I mention long and steep? Smile ) black runs in europe.
BUT it does have an equally long and steep drag lift to get out.
snow conditions
rungsp, .... but he wants more "bang for his buck" Very Happy

I do agree... too many worries overe a huge area. It's not like its a tiny little resort in Bulgaria!
latest report
Libertine wrote:

I do agree... too many worries overe a huge area. It's not like its a tiny little resort in Bulgaria!

I agree with the sentiment of OP. It's for a long weekend only. Painfull & difficult to arrange & pull together all the threads.
It *is* important to not have surprises like taking the 1st hour each day to get to the 1st proper run of the day, and then being bogged down with loads of slow lifts.
ski holidays
backhojo,
Quote:

the last day was a washout due to rain.

What you don't ski in rain? Toofy Grin

seriously with your critieria Flaine should be great for you (no special requirements for apres or a village that looks anyway pretty!).
You are no more likely to meet a big queue there than anywhere else.

Would avoid DMC 9ish, late morning and just after lunch.

Would avoid link back from Samoens, Les Carroz, Morillon (it's a 6 man called something beginning with V, I'll have to dig out my piste map) late morning & posssibly last thing. Really though this could be applied to most resorts.

Don't worry too much - we all want our ski hols to be perfect but you can only do so much snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou, missing the last lift back over isn't the end of the world. We did it accidentally once. The lift attendants let all us stragglers stew for a while then opened the lift back up to ferry everyone back over. Best run ever back down, virtually empty all the way right back to the town.
latest report
rich,
Quote:

The lift attendants let all us stragglers stew for a while then opened the lift back up

Laughing if it was that same link then I bet you did a little stewing, would be quite a hike Shocked
ski holidays
I've bitten my tongue long enough!!

If I have any guests who want to get to Flaine and the links are closed then I'll load you all into my 4x4 and drive you over the col myself.........I can get 12 in all with seat belts so no problems there....there is one proviso....THAT I CAN SKI TOO!!!!

Come to think of it the Vallee Blanche could be on the cards too if the conditions are right..................... Toofy Grin
snow report
Lou, yeah they definitely milked the situation for all it was worth. They told us to get the bus and watched us stand at the stop like idiots knowing full well the bus wasn't running.
snow report
marcellus,

Count me in!
snow conditions
marcellus, Can I come? Laughing
ski holidays
Freestyle, Anniepen, of course you can!!

I see another angle here.......................:snowheads: do the Vallee Blanche!!!

the question is when?
latest report
petem77 wrote:
Libertine wrote:

I agree with the sentiment of OP. It's for a long weekend only. Painfull & difficult to arrange & pull together all the threads.
It *is* important to not have surprises like taking the 1st hour each day to get to the 1st proper run of the day, and then being bogged down with loads of slow lifts.

excuse my "forum speak ignorance" but who is OP ?
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
I seemed a little harsh....you got my tone spot on..

calm down !! Shocked

Very Happy

rungsp wrote:
Yes! You might even have a lift queue! Would 10 minutes put you off, and ruin your whole trip? If so...then don't go there, in fact don't go anywhere! .

10 mins is not a problem but if i experience 6 lifts with 10 mins then thats a hour of ski time wasted !
i was exploring the fact that there might be long queues on critical lift that will bog the day down

rungsp wrote:
You want to have easy access for a weekend (note just a weekend) and not in peak season..

its not "just" a weekend to me !!! i will be skiing for 3 full days and possibly, with careful flight plannin, most of the 4th day. thats equivalent of over 65% of a stqandard package tour ski week !!

rungsp wrote:
The vast majority of Brits seem to go to 3V, VDI/T and La Plagne.
The rest of us spread out..

i wonder why they go there ? maybe as they are varied and pretty snow sure !! maybe they are just sheep ?
surprisingly i have only been to val once. I love the 3V but skied it to death now. If i could i woudl go to colorado every time - been 3 times and love it. not very practical with young kids or for a weekend !!

rungsp wrote:
P.S. If the Gers sector is open (and if you are a good skier) then go and enjoy one of the best long, steep, unpisted (did I mention long and steep? Smile ) black runs in europe.
BUT it does have an equally long and steep drag lift to get out.

sounds like you have set me a challenge. not keen on the long drag but as long as its worth it i will endure the drag !!

i must admit we are becoming more tempted to give it a try. Last year in la clusaz (not for from the GM) i did say that i would not go to a resort below 1800m in march again. Part of me says go to Val but part of me keeps reminding me of the long transfer and the fact that i cant find any accomodation there !!
I do here what you are all saying (honest , i do !!) just need to mull it over for a day or so and talk to my wife !
snow report
backhojo wrote:
petem77 wrote:
Libertine wrote:

excuse my "forum speak ignorance" but who is OP ?

It means "Original Poster", or sometimes "Original Post".
snow report
backhojo,
Quote:

Last year in la clusaz (not for from the GM) i did say that i would not go to a resort below 1800m in march again

Why? What was the problem? Snow is often better in March, particularly last year ............
latest report
the lower slopes were very heavy and damp. by the middle of the afternoon many lower slopes were skied out and then on the last day it rained !!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy