Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Here's a link I just found to a vendor of snow chains: http://www.barland.co.uk/snowchainall.html

As to my vehicle (Mazda Bongo), apparently it's a viscous coupled 4x4 with primary drive to rear. Chains can be fitted to rear only, or all four.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dz4d1v, You're normally OK if the chains are low profile and self adjusting, so that they keep tight to the tyre. I have Weissenfells on a 245/45R18 tyre. Handbook says no, but they fit and I've used them without problems. Clearance issues are normally on the inside of the tyre against the suspension strut if it's going to foul anywhere. I can fit mine within 2 minutes on each wheel, it's just practice.
Winter Tyres avoids the general need for Chains though. Mine are already on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman wrote:
DB wrote:
Spyderman,
That's up to 5 times the price of a full/proper snowchain for less performance.

But cheaper than new Wheels and Tyres.

Yes but a lot less than ideal (summer tyres and 'half chains'). At that price it's worth looking at ebay for winter tyres / steel wheels before committing. Maybe even worth putting on narrower all season tyres for the winter (with a mountain / snowflake symbol - check with BMW Europe to see which tyres will fit). This will make the car safer in the uk winter too. For a high mileage driver who normally replaces tyres every two years the overall cost wouldn't be much more and the driver has the added safety of better tyres, proper chains for winter and much less likelyhood of having to put the snowchains on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, I swap Tyres on my Espace every season, like you say the you're only wearing one set at a time, so apart from the initial outlay it doesn't cost any more. Winter Tyres arte so much safer in Winter, even in the UK. Fat Summer tyres in Winter can be lethal. Still need to budget for chains though, even if you never need them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman,

Tyres only have a ca 4 year shelf life so for low mileage drivers two sets of tyres would cost more. One would probably save ca 150 GBP by going for a normal but better snow chain - this money could be used to part fund the narrower winter/all season tyres.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How many obvious reasons are there not to leave winter tyres on permanently?

Do they wear more in the summer?
Are they less fuel efficient?
Are they less effective at braking in the dry?
Are they more expensive with respect to wear?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crosbie, They are also noisier
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, ah... one of those reasons only obvious to those who have used them before. Smile

Thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing wrote:
crosbie, They are also noisier

I find the ones on the Espace are quieter and give a smoother ride than the Summer ones of the same Manufacturer. I think it's because the Winter ones have a more compliant sidewall.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
crosbie,

In warm temps the rubber becomes too soft (as opposed to summer tyres becoming hard during a cold winter) and this affects braking, handling etc.
It is normal for people to leave a winter tyre on when it is between the winter and summer tyre wear legal limit here in Austria. I do know of people who do very low mileage and so leave winter tyres on all year. It's generally sports cars that most suffer with summer tyres in central european winter conditions and these cars really need a prformance summer tyre when it's hot. When you weigh it all up though an extra set of wheels / tyres is small compared to the overall cost of the car and gives a massive safety improvement.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
crosbie wrote:
How many obvious reasons are there not to leave winter tyres on permanently?

Do they wear more in the summer? Yes
Are they less fuel efficient? Yes, especially in Summer
Are they less effective at braking in the dry? Yes, but only above 12 deg C
Are they more expensive with respect to wear? Yes, they also lose there effectiveness at higher tread depths than Summer tyres.

Are they worth fitting? Yes, Summer Tyres lose 60% of their grip under 6C, both wet and dry.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks everyone, on it later this evening, havn't and wont give up on the drive

shouldn't have got a BMW wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Tyres only have a ca 4 year shelf life

Mine are 17 years old, it appears. Shocked Had a look yesterday to check the sizes, dicovered that it still has the tyres it came with new.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, but they've not been on the shelf. My sister bought an elderly Ford Fiesta, which had hardly been anywhere for years. Fantastic condition, original tyres - which were completely shot. Lovely depth of tread, but sort of shiny and brittle. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Keeping tyres in the dark really helps preserve them as well as using them. Spare tyres that sit uncovered on the back of 4x4s really suffer from sunlight. If there are cracks in the tread or sidewalls, throw them away.
snow conditions
saddlerken wrote:
thanks everyone, on it later this evening, havn't and wont give up on the drive

shouldn't have got a BMW wink

.... without 4WD. I like the new 320 xDrive estate but can't justify 41,000+ Euro's.
ski holidays
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b0s1642p0
copy and paste into browser.
Bonza! Little Angel
snow report
roggi wrote:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b0s1642p0
copy and paste into browser.
Bonza! Little Angel

Just to repeat .....

DB wrote:
Snowsocks always get really bad marks in motoring organization tests, they don't last long (Verschleiß) and are dangerous on ice.

http://www.oeamtc.at/refresh/frameset.php?p=http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/schneekettentests/schneekettentest_2008/index.html

(the lower the test figure the better, the Thule CL-10 won the test. Handhabung=ease of installation)

I've seen tests where the snowsocks shreaded up.
snow conditions
DB, a new one. Am I right in thinking they don't test the original snowsocks there? And what does Verschleiß mean, please?
snow report
peura wrote:
DB, a new one. Am I right in thinking they don't test the original snowsocks there? And what does Verschleiß mean, please?

Yes a new, I have the article at home I'll try and dig it out to see how many km/miles it lasted.

Verschleiß = wear/durability
snow conditions
DB wrote:
peura wrote:

Yes a new, I have the article at home I'll try and dig it out to see how many km/miles it lasted.

Verschleiß = wear/durability

ah I'd read Verscheiss Embarassed
latest report
Snowsocks are probably OK on fresh snow, but can't see them lasting long on ice, tarmac and rutted snow. I think the Police don't recognise them as being winter equipment.
snow report
The Gima trendy snow sock lasted 10 miles (16 km) on a dry road before tearing.
latest report
thanksDB, I was trying to work out the difference between the top two. Because the Pewag seemed to do much better on the "grip on ice" tests. Which seemed to be a rather desirable feature of winter traction equipment. Interesting they didn't test the original snowsock.
davidof, Puzzled . I presume that is a word you can't translate on a family forum?
Spyderman wrote:
I think the Police don't recognise them as being winter equipment.
that is the one of the big questions.
snow report
peura wrote:
thanksDB, I was trying to work out the difference between the top two. Because the Pewag seemed to do much better on the "grip on ice" tests. Which seemed to be a rather desirable feature of winter traction equipment. Interesting they didn't test the original snowsock.

Basically the Thules are easier to put on and don't wear as quickly as the Pewag's but on snow & ice the pewags are better (I run the Pewag sportmatics on both our cars). The original snowsock has been tested in previous tests and recieved a "Mangelhaft" (inadequate) rating. If someone is running summer tyres then they are likely to need chains / traction aids more than someone running winter tyres. As the road is often not uniformally covered with snow/ice it's also more likely than the driver will put more wear on the chains / traction aids. Wouldn't want to be in a snowstorm or on a stepp & icy alpine road with one good snowsock and one ripped up snowsock.
snow conditions
Thanks DB Smile
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
Are they worth fitting? Yes, Summer Tyres lose 60% of their grip under 6C, both wet and dry.

Hmm, do you work for the 'Winter Tyre Marketing Association' ? Toofy Grin Show me the white paper from your research. Your lap times . The latitudinal G's stat printout from the gauge in your car. I drive 30K+ P.A. and these are my 'gut feel' findings for winter performance on my 'summer' tyre, wide, low profile, Michelin Pilot Sport 2's.

Wet - I maybe believe it a bit but only because I'm too cautious to know otherwise. If the temperature is approaching zero & the roads are damp, they've likely not seen enough sunshine to evaporate any crap & stayed damp for a while so I will always ease off. Oil film build-up etc on the road will make the surface 'greasy' anyway and that being a general winter phenomena & not a tyre one, it doesn't count as anecdotal evidence.

Dry - I don't believe it at all. Even around freezing, I've not noticed a half % of difference on cornering grip at the limit and stopping distances from 'fast'.

BTW, given a bit of snow, these tyres are so absolutely hopeless that I'd rather hitch hike with a joy rider. Laughing
snow report
moffatross, I drive about 25K miles a year too. I've got Michel Pilot Sport Exalto's fitted on one car. Fantastic in the Summer, even in the wet, but in cold conditions they're all over the place, especially when it's damp. I fit Winter Tyres on my Espace however, from October to May. It's totally planted no matter what the road conditions.

This series of videos is worth a look, watch all 6 if you get the time. It's a comparison between 'All Season' & 'Winter' Tyres, fitted to 4x4's in Canada. They didn't even attempt a comparison test with Winter & Summer ones. Makes you think about all of the Brits driving to the Alps in their 4x4's thinking they're invincible.Shocked

http://uk.youtube.com/v/UX1UmYG1nyk
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, I've just invested in a set of Vredestein Comtrac Winter Van tyres.

I now look forward to traversing the col du lauteret in adverse weather conditions...
latest report
Spyderman, I watched the monster truck video (they probably call those minis in the U S of A) but I was already sold on winter tyres for snowy conditions. As I said, the car is horrible on snow and ice and has scared the wits out of me on several occasions but mine being on a lease with maintenance, I don't think I have a choice of tyre and have to stick with the OEM one. Makes the Glenshee road or the Cairngorm access quite 'interesting' sometimes. Skullie

I have a pet hate with any 4x4 which isn't a Landrover Defender that occasionally has a sheep in the passenger seat or at the very least a Datsun with fenceposts. Drove to the Alps once myself (snowchains for the last few miles) and vowed never to do it again as it took too bloody long. rolling eyes
ski holidays
moffatross, You'll be pleased to know then that my Land Rover pre-dates even a Defender. Little Angel

I drove in the Espace with Winter Tyres on last year,effortless, but then I'm only 2 hours from the Chunnel.
ski holidays
Spyderman, a Land Rover model, previous to a Defender ? The sheep must be fighting each other for the chance to get in there. Laughing

ski holidays
moffatross, I'm thinking of taking it to Wales, so I'll expect the Sheep to be queueing up.

latest report
A few observations on the comments here.
The 7C cuttoff is well documented as are the 4mm and four year suggestions.
I would think and hope that the tyre manufacturers know what they are on about!
The handbook for my 4 x 4 Mk 1 Mondeo says fit chains to the front only if using one set of chains. I have a set (Weissenfels from Snow Chains in Kent) but I have never used them as the four wheel drive on Avon Z3s (normal tyres) has been adequate for the thin snow over the last few seasons' drives to Austria.
I have just fitted Vredestein Qautrac3s because of the legal requirements for the mountain/snowflake marking and have noticed no increase in noise on a dry trip up the M1. Also, according to the computer, the mpg has not noticeably increased.
Unfortunately they weren't put on until after our recent snow so I don't know how they perform on ice and snow yet. I will post a report after the ski trip. I realize that they will not be as good as a dedicated winter tyre but chose the allweather route as a reaonable compromise. I didn't want to have to store a set of wheels and tyres when they are not used.
In very heavy rain yesterday on the M1, plenty of standing water, they had good directional stabilty and no noticeable aquaplaining.
They also cost less from Camskills than relacement Avons. Hopefully you will have to wait at least two years before any wear reports as the normal tyres were doing in excess of 20k front and 40k rear and I am only a 10k a year man.
Lastly, the thing to remember when driving on snow or ice is the braking. It doesn't matter if you can't get going but it sure a hell does if you can't stop!
ski holidays
as a member on another forum dedicated solely to all things car related, and being a total car/driving nut, ive read some of this thread with amusement. Mainly because whenever there is talk of snow, people on the "other" forum relish the idea, particularly those driving rear wheel drive cars wink

anyway, some good advice on here though, and can second the post by elj221c with regards to getting well priced tyres from camskill. i would say that, even if you have fitted winter tyres to your car that if you are not confident enough with the dynamics of how your car behaves when driving on anything other than a wet road, then driving upto a snow laden ski resort probably isnt the best idea.

not sure if its already been noted but turning off any driver aids you may have will also help as some of the newer systems can be more obtrusive than helpful in such conditions.

if you are really dead keen on driving, it could be worth investing in some skid pan tuition prior to your trip....not the same as snow, granted, but at least you will know what to do when you are looking out of your side window whilst still moving forward!
snow report
Deleted post as doubled up on observation already made above.... rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy