Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next set of skis - moving from RX8 to...

Poster: A snowHead
I've had my set of Fischer RX8's for three seasons now and for on-piste carving they are a real hoot. I'm looking to move on and buy another pair of skis that are capable of doing a little bit more i.e. going bit further on the mountain (70% on piste 30% off) as well as coping with variable conditions. I also find the RX8s require lots of energy and concentration and i'm pretty shattered after a full day. I suppose i'm looking for a more forgiving ride. That said, i like to get from edge to edge quite quickly and, having ski'd from day 1 on pretty narrow waisted skis, find 'fatties' hard to control. I had a few days on Scott Aztec Pros last year and just couldn't get on with them.

I'm 183cm 80kg and level 6 skier who gets about 15-20 days in per season.

I've seen the now defunct Atomic Metron 9 on offer in a couple of stores and wonder if now is a good time to snap up this ski, which seems to fit the bill and comes with quite a following.

Does anyone have a view on the Metron 9 (i'd go for 164cm) or have a serious alternative to throw into the mix?

Thanks in advance

Ian
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ian010, Don't really know much about this ski apart from it is designed to ski short, but even so I would question it's off piste ability for somebody your size.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe coming from RX8s try the RX Cold heats or K2 recons if you don't want too fat and still want to ski similar to how you ski the rxs. Scott missions also worth a look
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RX8 to Metron 9 is quite a bit of a step down. Less ice grip, smaller speed envelope. I would not do that.

There are a lot of skis that would fit your rough description, Tornado-level Xwings or the new Rossi CX80, or Dynastar 4x4 come to my mind almost immediately.

Energy and concentration? Hmm. What size RX8 were you skiing?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I bought a pair of 2008 Fischer AMC 79 with the Railfles 12 bindings at the end of last season. the black and gold ones. Fischer skis often seem to get overlooked but I reckon
they are really good skis and a good price. All the reviews always seem to comment on how good an edge hold they have and having used a pair of AMC 76's last year. I would agree.

Superb skis !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, i ski them in 165. I find they are analogous to driving a sports car... great performance and excellent in the corners, but switch off for a second and i'm likely to be in the brown-and-sticky. I freely admit that alot - if not all - of this may be down to technique, but i've also tried other skis and found them to be much more relaxing. For example, i tried a pair of Scott P3 twinnies for a bit of fun last year and really found them easy to ski. I'm not comparing apples with apples here i know, hence my initial query about looking for more of a good all-rounder than a dedicated small-radius piste carver.

papasmurf, i had had actually tried (without success) to get hold of the k2 apache stryker for demo earlier this season as an option, not thought about the recon so thx. I'll also look and the RX cold heats.

bernie, from what i know, fischer edge angles tend to be higher than most out of the box, i think this is why they are so good at holding an edge. Thanks for the recommendation

Ian
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ian010,

Wouldn't of thought that for your stats that an RX8 would be a tiring ski (unless it was too long), it's not as if it's a stiff race ski. Are you still taking lessons? It's probably worth getting a professional to make sure it there isn't somethhing else making it harder work than it should be (e.g technique, posture, balance etc).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, yes i still get a couple of 1-2-1 lessons every time i go away. There's always room for improvement right?... in my case quite a bit of room Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ian010 wrote:
DB, yes i still get a couple of 1-2-1 lessons every time i go away. There's always room for improvement right?... in my case quite a bit of room Smile

None of us are perfect, but being tired after a days piste skiing (unless I'm charging all day) is normally down to my technique / balance and not what skis I'm on. Your money is probably best spent on tuition and/or a balance board than another set of skis.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ian010 wrote:
comprex, i ski them in 165. I find they are analogous to driving a sports car... great performance and excellent in the corners, but switch off for a second and i'm likely to be in the brown-and-sticky. I freely admit that alot - if not all - of this may be down to technique, but i've also tried other skis and found them to be much more relaxing.

I find that in the shorter lengths they do reward a very forward, very active mindset. The edges are sharp at 1/3 but don't forget they also have large lift off the snow, and a very short published radius both which will affect the sensation of 'grip'.

Technique? From your list so far the RX8s would be my pick for on-piste lessons if you were ever to consider them. I wasn't really asking about that.

I was more wondering if someone your size (read: height) would benefit from boot tweaks and balancing, thereby making the RX8s less fatiguing overall.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Could binding position be making a difference? (e.g. likely to be further back on the Scott P3's than the RX8's)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Possibly, haven't skied (or looked at) a P3 in years. P3 vs. RX8, night and day, no single factor theory will carry the day, imo.

I'm sure ian010 can find a more relaxing ski without any boot/balance fuss; the market is full of them.

Just thought I'd toss out a possibility to improve enjoyment of his current gear.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i wasn't, in any way, trying to compare these two (rx8 and p3), but as comprex, says, just looking for a more relaxing ski. The market may be full of them but the market is also full of marketing... hence my preference for qualified opinions, otherwise i'll just get lost in a sea of brands, models, and derivatives. Just a look at http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=kategorie&kat_id=45 makes me shudder with the options and alternatives!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ian010, I've got a pair of 164cm 06/07 Atomic Metron M11B5's with Neox 412's that have done just a couple of weeks going for a bargain price. 124/76/108 & 15m radius. They're in excellent condition with near perfect bases (never had a grind) & had a full tune (1,3 edges) at the weekend ready to advertise but I've been too busy to get around to it. £150 excluding postage if required.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having spotted the suggestion of Salomon Tornadoes, might I suggest the Salomon Furys as a slightly better ski for all-round capability (84mm underfoot). I couldn't tell much difference between them on the piste, but the Fury's were better in pow.

I tried them both, along with a couple of others, and reviewed them here and, with a few extra comments and scores, here.

If you were looking at the Tornadoes, then I'd definitely suggest Rossignol Z9 instead - the same under foot (74/75mm), but a far, far superior ski on the piste.
latest report
ian010, I think a Rome Anthem would be quite the right tool for this thread . . .
ski holidays
Tricky one, as you are looking for a 70% piste ski but a more relaxed one than RX8... Could the short turn radius be your "problem" with RX8?
Anyway, in addition to the suggestions above I would mention Dynastar Contact 10 or 11 (have read reviews of 4X4 comparing it to Fischer Progressor and would think forgivenss is not 4X4's main attraction...). I skied Contact 10 on very hard snow and would certainly describe them as forgiving.
K2 of last two seasons with 70-75mm waist may meet your criteria too.
Nordica Speedmachine Mach 3 (Carbon, NOT "Power") is said to be very versatile (on-piste carving, bumps etc) and that in my mind is close enough to being 'forgiving'.
And last but not least - Stockli Spirit (used to be called Spirit Free, I beleive it is just 'Spirit' now?). I skied Spirit Free a lot and what an amazing, confidence building ski it is!

Demo and choose the one you like.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy