Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

les arc 1800 or tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Libertine wrote:
rob@rar, ahh yeah, thats the one. nice sun trap.

It does have a great terrace - which covers an open-air swimming pool they use during the summer.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Oh really, thats cool. I never been to the alpes in the summer as I'm normally windsurfing, but me and OH are looking to cycle there in the next couple of summers. How do you pick a summer resort... would like a lot of sporting activities as well?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, La Ferme - the owner, Michel, also has some excellent self catering accomodation available for the more budget conscious amongst us, but Ssshhh, don't tell anyone wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, folks, keep 'em coming. I very much like the sound of a 7km red to get to a nice lunch! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guvnor, Plat du jour, pint of lager and a genepe as you go out the door. Heaven Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Libertine, Depends what you want from a summer mountain holiday?

Activities? i.e. mountain biking, rafting, tree climbing assualt courses, via feratta etc

Walking? You need great scenery.

Cycling? You'll want to be near the Col's, if you're particularly good.

I've been to Briancon three times in the summer and I have loved it every time. It is a pretty good summer base, with outstanding scenery, lifts open, rafting, mountain biking. We stay in a traditional village.

Depends on which alpine country you wish to visit aswell.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Libertine wrote:
rob@rar, Oh really, thats cool. I never been to the alpes in the summer as I'm normally windsurfing, but me and OH are looking to cycle there in the next couple of summers. How do you pick a summer resort... would like a lot of sporting activities as well?

Most of the big resorts seem to be investing in summer activities to make them into two-season destinations, at least. Golf, mountain biking, walking, rafting, via ferrata, summer skiing, etc are all widely available.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
Now I've got the lowdown on La Plagne, where I'm not going, please can people recommend some good restaurants in Les Arcs (both at 1800 and up the hill) where I am going? Thank you. Toofy Grin

(Sorry, paulrfair, slight hijack.)

La Ferme in Villarogier. Worth the 7km red to get to it. Rustic farmhouse. Yum Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Was closed when I went there a couple of weeks ago. Didn't need a 7km red as it was only 3km up the hill. Now I need to go and find that top gear challenge again!

There seemed to be some building work going on next to / behind la ferme - any ideas?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, La Ferme doesn't open out of season - and struggled in the early part of last season as the conditions meant you couldn't ski down to Villaroger for lunch - you had to download on the chair
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Libertine,
Quote:

Libertine, that's the Arpette. Good for a quick pitstop, but it does get busy there.

Yeah - see my post above. A most disgruntling hour we spent...
We were half board and did picnics, so cannot really remember very many mountain restaurants. The meals in the Golf hotel were ok.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, sorry I agree la Ferme is good- but Les Chalets de L'Arc and particularly Arpette are not that good at all- and they are some of the better places.....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
edsilva, I've had a couple of very nice meals in Chalet de l'Arc, but agree that the Arpette is a fuel stop more than anything else. There's a restaurant near Peisey, which is also called La Ferme I believe, which has a good reputation although I've not eaten there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, sorry I agree la Ferme is good- but Les Chalets de L'Arc and particularly Arpette are not that good at all- and they are some of the better places.....

that said la cordee nice..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What's the name of the highest bakery in Europe at Les Arcs?

I had one of their things that's like a cross between Cornish pasty and a loaf of bread. You need a big stomach to fit it in. I'd love to go there again - perhaps for a smaller item on the menu.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do you mean L'Arc Dore at 1950? - they bake their own bread plus is ideal for the morning coisssant and pain au chocolat run...
snow conditions
JimW, it's a restaurant with a large bread/pizza oven and it's on the piste - can't quite remember whereabouts or what its name is.
ski holidays
crosbie, that's Chalet de l'Arc, just abov Arc 2000.
snow conditions
rob@rar, ah. Thanks. Smile
ski holidays
Here's a link to it: http://www.restaurant-savoie.com

And a piccie of the stuffed loaf/pastie/calzone:

ski holidays
crosbie, , know it, and yes, love it.

rob@rar has an advantage in that he (and PG) know the owners, so can pull the odd favour at lunchtime!. The rest of us... we have to go late in the day!!
snow report
crosbie, those stuffed loaf things are very tasty but have a seriously detrimental effect on your afternoon's skiing!
latest report
Guvnor wrote:
thefatcontroller, La Ferme - the owner, Michel, also has some excellent self catering accomodation available for the more budget conscious amongst us, but Ssshhh, don't tell anyone wink

Ahem - 460 Euros per week - sleeps 9.... wink
ski holidays
Guvnor, wow! For what kind of accommodation?
snow report
rob@rar, It's a big 3 bed apartment above La Ferme - plus the obligatory sofa bed. The stairs leading to it are outside the back door to the terrace - and a bot trickly to negotiate after several Mutzigs. All clean and comfortable enough, but pretty basic on the grand scale of things - but at that price, who really cares?
latest report
Guvnor, certainly a good price if you are looking for budget accommodation.
snow conditions
rob@rar, yup, if you ever wondered what skiing would be like if you missed it one year and ended up unfit and two stone heavier, have one of those. Shocked

Probably a good thing to recommend to the fit and nimble skiers in one's group to bring 'em down a peg or two. Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy