Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footbed/insoles question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some boot-fitting advice required please.

Is it normal for the big toe to protrude slightly over the side of the insole of a ski boot when standing on the insole placed on the floor? This was the case for me yesterday when being fitted up but the guy told me it was normal and that my foot would be squashed slightly laterally inside the boot so that the big toe doesn't overhang. The problem was it felt like I was stepping on the edge of the insole and when feeling inside the boot with the hand there was a definite gap between the edge of the insole and the liner just where the big toe is.

The boots were Nordica Speedmachine 8's.

Many thanks.

Rgds Martin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure an expert will be along later but IME the most important bits of the insole are the built up bits i.e. the heel cup & arch support not the fale bit under the toes so sounds like you'd be fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martin, it all depends on the fit of the boot, the liners in most boots are a little short for the shell and as such need to stretch out for your feet, therefore if they used the stock insole from the boot to trace for the footbed then it will fit in the lienr in its original state not twhen it has been moulded and skiied for a little...there are a couple of things that may help. the foot will be compresses slightly in the toe box of the boot but all in all it sounds like they may have trimmed them too short in that area [bare in mind that thee needs to be a little movement front to back to stop the footbed jamming on the foot]

feather the edge of the footbed with a bevel so that you do not feel the step off the edge, or depending on the insole they can be heated and stretched slightly to fill the void
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Happy birthday, Colin! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, My custom footbeds have done five weeks skiing over three years, they still seems OK but is there a recommended shelf life?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the helpful replies guys. Could it be that the boots are a different shape to my feet? The widest part of the boot's insole seemed to be in the ball-of-the-foot area, but I just measured my feet and the widest part is at the toes. That is, my big toes flares out slightly rather than taper in.

Might there be some boots more suitable for me? I haven't bought the boots yet and am considering settling-up for the footbeds and getting some different ones. The lone fitter at this shop was totally rushed off his feet which I think was part of the problem dealing with three customers simultaneously at one point. He kept up good cheer throughout though.

Cheers Martin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
find a good fitting boot first, then get footbeds made for it.
there is nothing wrong with doing it either way, but you should be able to get a better price by buying both at the same time.

it is common (I think) for the footbed to be shorter than the boot length as you describe.

i just went and checked mine, my big toe overhangs by around 5-10mm.

JP, footbeds should last forever in theory. however, your foot arch is likely to change over time....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
also, different makes of boots fit different shaped feet. definitely try on as many different boots you can.
eg Salomon generally fit wider feet well, where as Lange fit skinny feet well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wbsr, thanks for checking your footbed. Mmm, perhaps my footbeds were normal. It was just that I was feeling the edge of them with my big toes. Not wanting to get too nerdish about this, my theory now is that it's because the footbed didn't butt up tight against the side of the liner where the big toe is. Cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
turquoiseowl, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wbsr wrote:
also, different makes of boots fit different shaped feet. definitely try on as many different boots you can.
eg Salomon generally fit wider feet well, where as Lange fit skinny feet well.

if only it were that simple, Lange make multiple lasts from 92mm to 103mm salomon make from 95mm to 106mm other companies do similar
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

welcome to snowHeads

That's kind Elizabeth B, thank you, though I'm not sure I really qualify yet. Hopefully with a new pair of boots I'll get the hang of it this season. And in the meantime I've been reading Mark Elling's book to get a bit of theory. How many times have I been given a tip on technique then had the next person completely contradict it. Cheers
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only tip I gave my g/f was point down to go and up to stop. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go to a good boot fitter, get measured and take advice. All makers deploy lasts of different shape and volume.The biggest problem is the narow, low volume foot. Many high performance or race boots give the low volume but at the price of stiff forward flex, even with the modern adaptation to shaped skis [ softer forward flex].A stiff boot can be softened.See Colin in Bicester.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy