Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race Training - Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to organise some seasonal insurance cover which includes the option to a bit of race training should it come up. So far it's proving a lot harder than I expected - does anyone have any recommendations ?

The other big niggle is that on all the 'season' policies I've found, any return to the UK for a short time terminates the insurance Mad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I usually use SCGB insurance ( Embarassed ). Then I add the second or third level hazardous activities too, which then covers me for race training and amatuer racing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
david@mediacopy, I currently have Snowcard.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjs, Out of interest, which activity 'level' do you choose ?

skisimon, Not looked at them yet, but not a member...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy, you don't have to be a member; I'm not anymore and will probably use them again this season. Never had to make a claim, however, so can't comment on their service.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, I went with level 5.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Direct Travel's winter sports policy plus Carte Neige seems to cover everything I need, including non-FIS racing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, That's what I've used in the past but only on multi trip. I've been in discussion with them and it seems Level 4 should be OK for what I need. Good to see them doing Seasonal policies again.

rob@rar, I've spoke to them but it didn't work out. They defiantly were not keen on the race training. I can PM you their email if it's of interest.

The SCGB option actually looks very good. It includes non professional racing as standard and allows you to return home without invalidating the policy. It would appear that you can work too. but you do have to be a member for seasonal policies.

Anyone have a discount code for joining online wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy wrote:
rob@rar, I've spoke to them but it didn't work out. They defiantly were not keen on the race training. I can PM you their email if it's of interest.

I would be interested. Their T&Cs clearly state that racing below FIS level is covered, so I assumed that a bit of recreational training in gates would not be an issue.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, on the way via PM.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
david@mediacopy, both skimottaret and I also went with Direct Travel for this last year, and talking with them on the phone they were very definite that non-FIS racing was covered, as it also says clearly in their T&Cs. They were actually clearer that it was covered than the SCGB (which I had the year before). The SCGB definition was (not sure if it still is) something like "races where there's no trophy being competed for" - which could get a bit iffy, even if you end up winning a bottle of plonk. Could it be anything about seasonal rather than multi-trip annual (which is what we have)?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
david@mediacopy, we want to do a bit of race training and one race. Snowcard will cover the race training on their Seasonal policy, and they told us that if we want to do the race, they will do cover for that day/week for a small extra premium, thus saving on having to take out the Level 5 cover for the whole season. They were very helpful indeed.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
docsquid, Thats interesting. Not quite what I've heard from them this week. My understanding is that if I'm actually race training Level 5 is what's required, although I think that last year this may have been covered under level 4.

GrahamN, Extract from a recent email from one of their sales consultants asking about 'a little race training':

Quote:
Unfortunately we will not be able to cover you for this trip. We are unable to insure trips in which you will be teaching. Also, we cannot cover for race training so, overall, I don’t think our policies are suitable for your trip.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

It's starting to sound as if I'm being unlucky with whom I speak to in the call centers rolling eyes I've long had the feeling that if you ask the question often enough eventually you will get someone who will give you the answer you need. The trick is to get them to write it down .....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use Direct Travel, it covers non-FIS racing and race training.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
david@mediacopy, We had a similar conundrum when looking for race training and possible race entry for our son James (11), who will be doing a full season and multitrip/season insurance for my husband and I who each have to return to the UK at various points during the season.

I think there are 2 seperate problems. Race training on the one hand and multitrip that allows for extended periods of stay in the mountains/seasonal that allows the occasional trip home.

tagdirect.co.uk may be worth a look - We would have gone with them for James except that he had to be accompanied off piste at all times and while we're not planning that he goes off on solo jaunts all over the mountain, it's just too easy to envisage him and his friends straying just a little too far the wrong side of the markers and something going pear shaped. They would have covered us too but only provided we could specify exact dates that we'd be back in the UK, and that was just too tricky.

In the end we went with BMC, which cost an extra £150 (£450 in total (£300 for James) Shocked) Yes it's a lot!!! - if nothing happens, but will be cheap at twice the price if it does and I'm much happier having dotted every i and crossed every t. I expect I'd have been a little more gung-ho had it been only for us adults.
snow conditions
Annie, Yep, that offpiste stipulation is a pain. I've seen it in a few policies.

GrahamN, beanie1, rob@rar, I'm just checking the policy wording on their web site and it's clear that non FIS racing is covered rolling eyes I'll get back in touch with their office....
ski holidays
Annie wrote:
I think there are 2 seperate problems. Race training on the one hand and multitrip that allows for extended periods of stay in the mountains/seasonal that allows the occasional trip home.

I've got that issue as well, going for the season - so I need more than 31 days or even 90 days skiing cover but also need the flexibility to make trips home as when required - as for example I need to go home for a friends wedding. I think I might look at the BMC in more detail, as most of the others seem to fail on either of those requirements...
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, I think your problem with Direct Travel is more likely to be with the professional use and extended periods. The multi-trip cover is an unlimited number of days, with 45 days per trip max (depending on the policy level), but only 17 days of snowsports cover per trip (up to 17 it's safe but after 17 days it becomes a "dangerous activity" Wink ). And they also exclude any "professional sports" as a dangerous activity. They do say that this may be covered for an additional premium though. And they do cover unrestricted off-piste (except in USA/Canada) without a guide (as do the SCGB). bertie bassett, have you looked at the SCGB season policy? It does cover "amateur racing" - non-series with no trophies/rewards (but check for changes).
latest report
GrahamN wrote:
have you looked at the SCGB season policy? It does cover "amateur racing" - non-series with no trophies/rewards (but check for changes).

It's much more clear this year, this time specifying 'points' as the decider. I'm sure you are right regarding the extended season cover. I used to use Direct and were very happy with them. The reason I moved away was a conversation regarding using jumps in the park. Excluded under 'ski jumping' apparently. As I recall the conversation got slightly ridiculous with their rep suggesting ski's should remain on the snow at all times in order to be covered rolling eyes
latest report
Gawd help us all! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy