Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Petzen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone ever heard of a place called Petzen in Austria?

Seems like a tiny ski area - any bigger places nearby or any off piste etc?

What's the village like, can't find any piccies on the web!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga, I will be there over New Year. There isn't a village there, you stay around the Klopeiner See or in Eberndorf and drive up.

Looking at the Bergfex site there doesn't seem to be anywhere nearby.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The location of the BARSC ski races just after New Year. You could also stay just over the border in Slovenia e.g. in Dravograd. http://www.hesper.si/default.asp?languageID=8&MenuID=194
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
beequin, It is only after New Year for Children, the Juniors are before.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, Quite true. Only thinking of my charges, but we decided to opt out.
roga, Austrian resorts in the region all relatively small.
http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/5,en,SCH1/objectId,RGN17at,folder,FLDSKIAREA,modulId,themes,season,at2,selTab,top20/skiarea.html
Slovenian larger resorts such as Kranskja Gora a bit further away and probably more difficult driving.
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Slovenia/Bohinj_Map.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This map http://www.topski.at/?siid=1921&LAid=1&jid=wi shows the other resorts in Carinthia. Not much very close to Petzen. To put it in perspective, it's about a 20 minute easy drive from Klagenfurt to Villach on that map, so driving from Petzen to e.g. Koralpe would be longer as more mountainous etc.

A bit further west in Carinthia there are more resort 'clusters', e.g. around Villach, it would be very easy to get to Gerlitzen, Dreilaendereck, BKK, etc. and not just a bit further to (the fabulous but amazingly still quite unknown) Nassfeld.

Going east into Steiermark there are a few more small resorts (Hebalm for example), but again, a bit of a drive.

Or of course, there's Slovenia, but my esteemed fellow snowHead seem to know more about that than me!

D
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

You've all confirmed what I've gleaned and/or suspected from the web, although the information on Petzen is really very sparse from what I can see, at least in English.

I was considering it at Xmas/New Year because some of the folks from my daughter's ski club are heading over there for the races that rjs mentions and my daughter is dead keen to go after a great week spent with the club in Tignes over October half term. However, she's not doing serious ski racing or anything (yet, if ever) so it's a social thing rather than anything else.

However, I'm looking for a place we can *all* head to and have a good time that's close to the slopes and where our 5 year old will be able to head off to an English speaking snow garden, my wife can have some more lessons (again in English) and a relaxing time and I can have a few challenges to ski (which means a variety of on-piste reds and blacks, moguls and perhaps some off-piste stuff I can do with guides). Whilst I'm not interested in mileage Petzen over all seems to offer very little of the latter for me in it's limited area and I suspect little for the other members of the family I mention and given there's no village/town probably nowhere to stay that's got a bit of Xmas life to it either without having having to drive every day.

Overall I think we'll give it a miss because overall I want a relaxing family break at Xmas because I'm spending every other break between now and summer doing training for BASI exams.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think Petzen is Rainer Schoenfelder's home town, so it probably has a good racing pedigree.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy