Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where is the best Austrian Off-Piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
wow I really got that conversation going again - even though the place that get's most snow every year (average 11 meters) official weather statistics - is Warth am Arlberg (western part of Austria - 1 hour from the swiss boarder) - there is the snow barrier you are talking about - when it comes from the north ...
wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waynos, It's a tiny little place, with a terrifying metal trashcan lift going up, and the bottom third is a boring switchback through the trees to get back to the lift, but if you have time to explore and do a little hiking there are a lot of freshies to claim.

I don't know why they get so much snow tbh, but whenever I've been there, even at low (valley) altitude, there's been a lot of snow on the ground, and it always seems to snow whenever I'm there too. Only ever seem to 'pass through' though so never had more than a day to explore.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
asland, I'm an Alps obsessed Boston guy. The family and I have skied off piste all over the Alps and just last season stayed at the Hotel Mondschein in Stuben, with the thought that it would be more "authentic", while having access to some of the best off piste in Austria. It worked out great. We rented a four wheel drive so we could also ski in Zech-Zurs as well, which turned out to be a great move for both the skiing and apres. The guided skiing around Stuben is outstanding and the off piste around Lech-Zurs is devoid of people. St. Anton was a bit busy for our taste but Rendl was still quite fun, and it was not too hard to get away from the crowds. If you ever do go to Stuben, check out the bar, Willi's Pilsstube, a great hoot a couple of nights with ridiculous accordian pop music. We stayed in St. Anton many years ago and decided to try something different this time and it turned out to be a completely different experience.

I don't want to take this off track, but for what is a similar experience you should try combining Andermatt and Engelberg in Switzerland in a week long trip. Both have outstanding off piste, they are not too far apart, and they both get lots of snow. I would stay at one half the week and the other for the rest. Even though these are in Switzerland I found the pricing ok because they are more off the beaten path. Some of the most famous off piste in the alps are at these resorts, and the atmosphere is good, especially in Andermatt. We have skied these places three times now with a friend who is an American guide based in Alagna, Ilaty, and every time it's been outstanding.

For great off piste keep these on your list: Arlberg, Alagna (with heli ski options to Zermatt), La Grave (with Serre Chavalier, Alpe d'Huez, and Les Deux Alpes very close), Val d'Isere (with Les Arcs and La Plagne nearby), Chamonix, Verbier, and the combined Engelberg and Andermatt. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steilhang wrote:
asland, Try the Arlberg! On the one side St.Anton on the other side Lech/Zürs. The two areas are on one lift ticket, but are not connected.

They are connected, by the North Face of the Valluga, one of the most awesome off-piste routes.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andyhull wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
asland, Try the Arlberg! On the one side St.Anton on the other side Lech/Zürs. The two areas are on one lift ticket, but are not connected.

They are connected, by the North Face of the Valluga, one of the most awesome off-piste routes.

True, but there's no pistes to connect them and no lift back either. Plus, to ski off the back of the Valluga you either need a guide or it's a hike up the last section, as they won't let you on the lift without a guide (ok, you can go on without a guide but only if you leave your skis behind). So, they're not really connected in the normal sense even though they share the same lift pass.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy