Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with Ski choice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

With ever increasing rental costs I have decided to buy some skis. I normally rent the highest performance all mountain skis available, normally AC 30s.

But haivng looked around I think I have narrowed it down to either some Scott Crusades or Volkl Mantras. I want an all mountain ski, good at the thick powder, I have quite an aggressive style in Europe I mostly have to do off piste and in Canada I like to challenge myself on the single and double black diamonds. I am 6'4 and about 16-17 stone.

Both of the skis seem to have great reviews, anyone here had any experience with either?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always try to demo before I buy - most shops will let you have the skis as if they were rentals (i.e. pay up front for a day or two), then if/when you buy a pair, they knock the 'rental' cost off the price. That's what I did last season, spent a couple of good days testing out some good skis and then made my decision.

Failing that, I'd go for the Volkls, but that's brand loyalty in my case. Naturally I might give them a miss if they'd been slated in the reviews.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That is what my original plan was however I cannot find anywhere that will rent the Scott's out. First trip this year is Whistler and cannot find anyone that rents them there. Anyone know of a company that rents them?

There are a few places for the Volkls I will probably go with Summit though as I have used them a few times before.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know that Affinity Rentals in Whistler rent the Volkl Mantra, and am pretty sure if you tell them you are looking at buying they can arrange a discount from a local shop depending on how may days you rent from them first.

I don't know of anywhere to rent or even buy Scott skis, although there is probably a shop somewhere that sells them.

Otherwise, there are 'free' demo tents on both mountains which are open for most of the season (not early and late). I have no idea what they will have to try this year. all you do is show them some ID and leave a credit card, and get the skis for an hour or so, then return them and get your card back - no costs unless you completely trash them (small nicks in the base are fine)
It is quite possible they will have the Mantras to try , the catch is they are on the mountain, and you will need to have skis already to get to them.

Depending on how often you ski, it may make money sense to keep on renting (if you do 10 days a season, it will take you basically 3 years to pay off buying a pair) and then you have to worry about waxing and edging the skis, and worst of transporting them on the airlines.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wouldn't the Scott Pure be more of a Mantra ski...the Crusade is a beefed-up Mission?

The Mantra skis all over the hill and will carve what you guys call hardpack...and even handles Europack well. Great ski.IMV

Don't know about the Crusade as I'd look at the Pure first.

The Mantra is 96mm wasted and the Pure 92mm..from memory
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Crusade is 133-92-122, according to many of the reviews I have seen it should be similar to the Mantra even though underfoot it is a little smaller.

I will try to do some investigating on if the demo tents will be stocking Crusades and yes a few of the rental places will let me rent Mantras for a day or two and take that off the cost of buying them.

At the moment I am averageing about 3 weeks a year and I like to be confident in my skis on some of tricky stuff and I cannot do this as much with rentals.

Thanks for the help, has anyone on here had much experience with either the Crusades or Mantras?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
john251282,

Skied 3 versions of the Mantra and liked them all... I thought the 06/07 94mm version was a great ski and the newer 96mm a bit chunkier..but is still skis well and is more manageable in tighter spots than you'd think. Turns on a dime in deeper snow and trees if you need them to...but you aren't going to be able to throw them around...and nor should you try. It would be pretty tiring to do that, IME..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I assume by that you mean it is not really suitable for taking on the moguls Smile

At the moment I think I am edging towards the Mantras, but would like to give the Scott's a try as they seem to be getting some very good feedback at the moment too.

Thanks for the help JT
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy