Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden am Ortler? Sud Tirol?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a long weekend in January and looking for somewhere different.

Never been to SUd Tirol and wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

Prioroties would be altitude, character, off-piste terrain, food. We'd probably hire a guide for a day or two.

Likely to fly drive via Sleasy Jet and Innsbruck but all suggestions gratefully received

Thanks,

J
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jedster, never been to Solden but done Sudtirol as in Selva di Valgardena/Wolkenstein in Groden, nice combination of germanic and latin tradition, food runs the full spectrum of knodeln, speck & gulaschsuppe to calzone & polenta con funghi , there are some awesome off-piste itineraries on the Sella massif accessed from the Pordoi cablecar (2900m), conditions are normally best on these after early spring storms. Altitude on most slopes though is in the 1500-2500m range.

If you do go to Solden, you'll have to let us know what you find.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you mean Sulden am Ortler?

Soelden and Sulden are two very different resorts...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markus, yeah, very different. I didn't pick up on the spelling mistake 'cos the Italian is Solda with an 'o'.

I'm guessing the OP does mean Sulden am Ortler, OPEN THIS WEEKEND WITH SPECIAL OFFER: http://www.sulden.com/en/solda/winter/general/ortles-valvenosta-south-tyrol.asp
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
5 lifts open, 2-stage gondola/cablecar and 3 long chairs up on the glacier area (2800m-3250m), looks like a nice place for some early season turns. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, sorry, meant Sulden am Ortler
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bloomin eck, I'd hardly even heard of this resort and check out these pics here from last week. Sensational!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markus,

yes... my thoughts exactly

seems to be high altitude with good lifts... and there is practically no info on it on the web... could be a bit special

We've booked flights for early Jan - reckon we'd have it pretty much to ourselves
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
konigspitze looks interesting Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
just bumping this because I'm off to Solda/Sulden tomorrow for the weekend.

I really WILL post a little write-up when I get back given that no-one appears to know anything about it.

Looks like the snow cover is fine but doubtless lower down the pistes are hard and the off-piste will be well skied out. How bad can it be above 2800m after these temperatures?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i believe that it's dumping over in Piedmont right now...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster wrote:
just bumping this because I'm off to Solda/Sulden tomorrow for the weekend.

How are you getting to Sulden? I was surprised that you can drive from Innsbruck/Landeck at this time of year but the Reschenpass does seem to be open.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As far as I know Reschenpass is opened all the time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did anyone visit in the end?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tirol 164, check this out, I have seen this report a few days ago on German forum.
Mind it was 2 weeks ago so looks like great start of the season.

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=36933

and Google translated:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D48%26t%3D36933
ski holidays
They start in oct 30 thru early may,also have a lake for snow making.
That 4man at one time was a long t,bar I used to get airborne for ages on it,killed my wedding tackle but I love t,bars and pomas now.
Snow is not the issue.. its wind but this place/area has more to offer if you have a car on those days.
snow conditions
Quote:

Did anyone visit in the end?

Indeed I did and it was excellent. In fact, it is truly remarkable how unknown it is given the quality.

A few thoughts:

amazing scenary - Solda is in a high hanging valley at about 1800m and is surrounded by big mountains including Ortler

piste skiing is not extensive but is very varied and includes very high motorway pistes (there's a big bowl at between I think 2600 and 3000m), sheltered pistes among the trees and some steep intineraries
It covers three areas with a bus linking them so although there is skiing for all levels, meeting for lunch is not always easy

off-piste is fabulous - easily accessible and relatively safe 1000m descents, excellent tree skiing, plenty of wilder back-country/side-country type stuff if you don't mind a bit of walking/skinning. We were there in January and it hadnt snowed for a couple of weeks. We still got fresh tracks in the trees and in lift-served terrain.

resort is very quiet with most of the restaurants and bars in hotels. The clientelle are largely german families

getting there - well, I guess this is the reason that it's a bit unknown in the UK. We flew to Innsbruck and drove - a spectacular couple of hours of tunnels and mountain passes. I'm not sure I would recommend this. It was brilliant but could have been a nightmare if the weather turned bad. We hired a 4wd Skoda Octavia estate with snow tyres but I still woudnt fancy the passes in a blizzard. The alternative is a longer drive from Milan or Venice I guess.

I'm sure I'll go back some time.
snow report
Jedster were those photos of the schontauf off piste run yours... a while back.

I ran that on my own, last few seasons but never could get anything out of the locals about it sliding... often or not? At the top...that is the bit I am referring too .
Which is nothing new... as far as the locals go.
I know its bit of A open question but thought I would ask your opinion anyway and I felt it fairly safe, as rode it in avi 3 with half meter plus on it with others once as well.
So far the hidden rocks keep getting me.
I am concerned this early season though as a slide caught a lad inbounds last dec and was terrible outcome in view of the chair, which the boys father was on watching.
This event and another guided fatility was a reality check.

If you run 4xwheel or chains in the area no prob anywhere and you can get about without but.... it can be touch and go at times and may require backing up etc.
If in traffic or busy times... its bad news really but not impossible.

Innsbruck is about a 100clicks and safe roads in austria, in resia its no prob really as flat I would be more concerned with Italian driving in snowy conds and drunks closer to resort but the drunk days are largely gone.
A new tunnel and elevated bit of road is built now heading from the gomagoi turn off.... it is a hairpin bit of road just hanging out in mid air on big poles exactly like a roller coaster.
Most of the road avi,s are in later feb/spring or when dumping with temps,the cafe Isla is fairly packed when the road is avied in and the bottom gondola bar has tirol apres carry on.

My friends have actually used the stone walls to slow the car down once but the doors never worked well afterwards and the sparks were worrying... back in the day.

Looks like everything gets found in the end as I met swede freeriders too last year but we have a tiny tiny natural secret in the next valley not really a skiers holiday destination except that it holds four crystal world cups in a notible skiers hotel.
It also was the valley holiday resort of kings and queens till they burnt the large hotel down as the 1st war started .

It really is a beautiful part of the world looking up to Ortler 3905m odd and one of the highest mountain passes in europe.
Also relaxing apre when a four time world champ serves your cold beer surrounded with history... recorded back as far as year 700.
I am dreading the day when the they build a serious park in solda but know it will be so one day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy