Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

INSURANCE- list of things to look for...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Being from Ireland I am trying to get insurance cover from here. I've been looking through the site and there are lots of discussions but I was wondering if we could start a list of all the things you need to look for/ask about in a policy. I think that it would be a handy reference point for anyone looking for insurance!

For example I found out that its not always the case that mountain rescue is included or that equipment thats left outside is insured. So those are a couple of things to start it off-

1. Is mountain rescue included
2. Is equipment insured if left alone

Thanks

CC Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3) Are delays or missed departures resulting from delay of PRIVATE transportation covered?

We were hit by this last year when our transfer from Whistler was delayed by an accident on the highway..... My policy covered me, but my parents were on another policy and because we were in private transport and not public, they were not....

A minor point for many, but given transfers in a snowy climate, the chances of snow-in or delay are reasonably high..... id guess very few people watch out for this little catch

Ad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here are some more that I've found (thanks if they're yours!)...

1. Unguided off-piste skiing

2. How long is cover for: many companies have a 17-day limit.

3. Doing a season? Check that policy covers you for trips home- many don’t.

4. Theft: it is nearly impossible for holidaymakers who stop in mountain restaurants to keep an eye on their equipment. You then need two types of cover. The first refunds your loss. Beware policies with exclusions for equipment "left unattended”.

5. Lift Closures: A number of companies will not pay unless all lifts are shut.

6. Too much snow: Beware of companies that will not pay out if there is too much snow for ski-ing and the lifts are closed.

7. Off piste: check the small print. Off piste is covered by most companies if you are with a high mountain guide (not your average Ski Instructor I suspect). Remember you can go off piste without realising it (a) following a well used piste outside the given area or (b) going off piste in a "white-out", You even need to be careful taking short-cuts through deep snow from one piste to another. Make sure that you have some "all terrain cover" for these eventualities. It is the unexpected and rare occurrence that can play havoc with your health and bank balance.

8. Physiotherapy: Only a few companies will cover physiotherapy.

9. Loss of Lift Pass.

10. Ski school race day: Ski school end of week race. If you have an injury more than likely you will not be covered, even if there is official ski-school sanction.

11. Avalanche delav cover/ Delay getting to or leaving resort because of conditions: Avalanches- for injury etc. you would be covered but what about delays getting to the resort or delays being holed-up for a few extra nights in resort. Check for avalanche delay cover or if the resort is snowed in before you arrive or the road is blocked between airport and resort.

Anyone have more??!! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a feeling you may have overlooked the first thing most people look at;the price.As has been said many times,insurance is a reluctant purchase and,if there were a choice,most would not bother!Its true to say you can insure yourself against almost anything(many companies will tailor an individual policy)but at what cost.Only you can say what you are prepared to pay.One of the problems is there is no perceived benefit for most people.You can ask for all the opinion in the world;but you will only find out the truth when you present 'your' claim.From past insurance episodes,I've never found much correlation between what you pay,and the 'benevolence' of the company.

Myself,and family,are with Direct Travel.IMHO a good basic policy at a good price.One thing they do,and is well worth looking for IMO;they will waive the excess on medical claims where an E111 has been presented,as this reduces the overall claim cost.Seems very sensible.

However,can find no mention of cover in the event of an alien invasion,so might have a problem with that wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To note is that Id say the list of things already mentioned will be all but impossible to satisfy...... In the past 24 hours I have been over half a dozen 'good' policies and i would doubt that any got close to satisfying all the above criteria
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a look at these two, they dont seem to be too bad.........!!

www.dogtag.co.uk
www.gosure.com

CC
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quick look on dogtag would put me off by the limit of 17 days (I went with direct travel because they allow unlimited as long as no trip exceeds 17) and also id be slightly concerned with only 5M medical cover..... id generally been advised that 10M was the way to go. Additionally it is quite costly

The gosure is not coming up, so I cant comment....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buns, Just got a quote on the gosure site, 103squid for an annual WW with ski trips up to 90 days PER TRIP!!! I was going to go with Direct but now I'm tempted . . . crap! Life used to be so easy . . . Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buns, try phoning Ski McNeill in Belfast. (028 9066 6699) They have an insurance end, so it might be worth while giving them a call. There used to be a girl called Louise who worked there, but I think she left.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm insured with Direct travel too, snoskisnows comments apply.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try http://www.fogginsure.co.uk - I used them last year and they are actually cheaper this year (£84.50 for 2 adults, 2 children for an annual policy including up to 17 days skiing).

Or try www.thisismoney.co.uk for a comparison chart of different insurers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a claim in with Direct Travel Insurance at the moment. They have had 15 days "consideration" time so far. They pass on their claims to a co. called Strategic Claims Management Ltd. This week I received a letter which required me to answer 9 questions, amongst which were-"What was the weather/slope conditions like"? and "What was the colour of the run you were on"?. I phoned the co and queried the necessity of this, their response was, if you don't do it your claim will be delayed. So I rang off and called again, different staff member - this time asked the co. why they needed to know what colour run I was on....long wait....answer "So we can tell what level of skier you are". (Really)Thought I would keep going and asked why that was important - answer "We are just collecting background information". Weird or what.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One thing I reckon is very important....

- In the event of an accident, if you are responsible for injuring another person on the slopes, does the policy have adequate - or indeed any - third party cover?

And linked to this...

- Are there any exclusions relating to drinking/drugs etc, invalidating your cover in the event of personal injury/injury to others?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does any policy give cover if you are under the influence of alcohol?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
worth a look is Ski Club of GB - WWW.skiclub.co.uk under " Insurance " section on LHS toolbar.

Gives a choice of cover and annual price is reasonable, but check that it fits what your personal skiing requirements are.
snow report
Nick Zotov wrote:
Does any policy give cover if you are under the influence of alcohol?

Good question... and how much does "under the influence" constitute?
latest report
I was with Direct Travel last year and switched to the Ski Club insurance for this season. It's pretty much the same policy (Both are underwritten by AXA) with a few bolt-ons to the Ski Club policy. An interesting idea came up on another site, regarding the Carre/Carte Neige and whether the benefits of both of these could be bolted-on to either weekly, or annual policies. PG, I wondered if you had any knowledge of whether this was possible, or have any other SnowHeads any views on this.

This topic is quite a good exercise as there are a lot of good insurance policies out there, but none, as far as I am aware stand out as being the very best. It may be possible here, to put together a 'Wish List Policy' if you like and then put it to an insurance company to cost it. Perhaps Dog Tag? Perhaps also it could even be affiliated to SnowHeads, or called SnowHeads Insurance and a commission paid to SnowHeads for every sale? I would be prepared to take it on as a project if it finds any support.
snow conditions
PG, Nick should also have asked if any policy would give him cover when skiing with his pet, mad, goat.
latest report
Bernard Condon wrote:
An interesting idea came up on another site, regarding the Carre/Carte Neige and whether the benefits of both of these could be bolted-on to either weekly, or annual policies. PG, I wondered if you had any knowledge of whether this was possible, or have any other SnowHeads any views on this.

When I've skied outside France I've just tended to rely on the hope that somewhere between the annual carte neige (which provides recovery/repatriation etc outside France), insurance provided from paying by cc, and various other policies, the combined cover will end up being pretty comprehensive. Not something I've researched properly though as I mostly ski in France and so most issues (hospital treatment etc) don't affect me.
snow conditions
snowbunny, makes you think, what about those people who have accidents on red runs but should only be on a blue run, or alternatively on a piste where for a short section two runs are parallel one black the other red, which do you declare ?
ski holidays
No doubt the figures will crop up in one of those press releases they pick odd stats from occasionally, you know the ones "72% of ski theft claims were from left handed men on the last day of their holiday, whilst skiing a red run".
latest report
D G Orf, Hmmm, like who decides the appropriate slope for your "skill"?. And what about the subjective slope grading done by each resort? Will insurance for "black" run skiers cost more next winter?
Will an insurer want proof of capability before payout?
PG, Were you p****d wasn't among the questions! If I had been it may not have hurt so much.

My overall impression was that the claim process seems geared for package tourist beginners who are in a ski school class. The "handlers" (their terminology) have no idea what this skiing stuff is all about and were unable to grasp the concept that an experienced skier coulld be involved in an accident on a GREEN run because they have no understanding/experience of ski resorts. Still, they know have me classified as a green run skier! I don't care as long as they give me the money!
latest report
Note that many innsurers regard the blood alcohol level for driving as a suitable limit for considering not to pay out, now the real problem is that it might not be the UK limit, I understand the Swiss Limit is zero ! i.e if you have a beer or a glass of wine at lunch, or if like me you had a dessert with alcohol poured over the top one day you could theoretically be uninsured, I would like to see some clarification from insurers on that aspect for next years skiing
snow report
D G Orf, some people are unaware of this but the French limit is considerably under the UK limit as well.... and random checks occasionally take place, no matter how well you are driving.
ski holidays
PG, exactly, but many people regard it as a tradition to have a glass of something at lunch when they ski, in itself a single glass of wine or beer is not likely to significantly affect the chances of you having an accident whilst skiing. Certainly I think it is something that the insurance companies should clarify for all of us
latest report
D G Orf, Definitely
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy