Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intermediate in Fernie BC. Looking for All Mountain ski.

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys.

Im going to Fernie for a month starting on 28th December. Im looking to hire skis from 'a company' but need some advice.

Ive got around 3-4 weeks on snow in Europe and can ski red/blacks with 'some' confidence but skiing in Fernie may push that level a bit higher and i know ill be spending quite a bit of time off-piste by the end. I need some all mountain skis which can cope with Fernie powder (deep i hope) and off-piste conditions but arent a complete mess on piste as well. Basically a 50/50 ski, i dont really know how much time ill be on/off piste yet so im after versitility.

http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/freeride_ski_hire.html
The choices are above, they are all the same price so no need to bother there but i need to know if anyone has any specific opinions. Im looking at the Salomon x-wing tornado, Atomic crimsons and Scott Neo but i dont really know.

If it matters im 6'2" and about 85kg.

Thanks! Razz

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-11-08 16:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you not just as well off buying if you are there for a month?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lord

If you're hiring for a month would you not be best of buying them?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dam... beaten by quick-draw!

Very Happy

Another thought... if you are hiring for a month, why not try out different skis and then keep the one that you like best.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv wrote:
Are you not just as well off buying if you are there for a month?

Hey,

Ive thought about it, but the company im using i can get good skis and boots for only £140 for the 25 days im there.

Im not sure how much skiing ill be doing after this, maybe 1-2 weeks max per year so for now i need to save money and rent.

The skis and boots im looking at would probably cost £500+ so buy so id rather pay the £140 Smile Also if the boots arent comfortable they'll pay for me to rehire boots at the resort. Not bad.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are skiing for a month sack it up and buy boots, get them properly fitted etc etc, if you are skiing every day for a month then rental boots won't do your skiing any favours. I would go Atomic Nomad Crimson for an all round type ski if I had the choice you mentioned.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
is the crimson not wider than the 79mm they say on the website? i thought it was about 85ish.

Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
128-86-114 for the 08?

shoogly need to be quicker next time;)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Buy boots, go see Lindsay or Alex in the Guide's Hut on 2nd ave. Up to you on skis, but renting boots is a terrible idea. They'll last you long enough to make up rental costs in a few years, and they'll perform a million times better.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC wrote:
Buy boots, go see Lindsay or Alex in the Guide's Hut on 2nd ave. Up to you on skis, but renting boots is a terrible idea. They'll last you long enough to make up rental costs in a few years, and they'll perform a million times better.

Ill think about it so thanks alot for the advice. The company rent out 2009 Salomon Foil boot worth around £250 and it will cost me £40 for the 25 days im there. I KNOW long term it might save me money and a fitted boot will be more comfortable but im not sure i can afford it short term. Ill have a think Confused

Rather than a hiring vs buying debate can someone recommend a ski? Someone said Salomon Lord i think.
The link again:
http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/freeride_ski_hire.html

Thanks Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sps89, I did if you read my first post.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arv wrote:
sps89, I did if you read my first post.

Yes thank you.

Just looking for maybe a couple more opinions before ordering the skis. Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know you're not looking for a debate, but it really is worth emphasising (especially since you mentioned the price of the rented boot) - it's not just comfort, it's control and accuracy. Kind of like putting a Ferrari engine into a concrete mixer - doesn't matter how good the skis are if your boots aren't responsive enough.

Have a browse in the Equipment forum for the boot thread - you need the boots that fit your feet (they come in different shapes per brand), not high end ones. I'd rather ski on something I found in a dumpster with fitted boots than the top of the range ski and rental boots, especially in Fernie where there's difficult terrain.

Anyway, that aside, you'll find Scott Punishers easy to ski and capable, and I've heard good things about the Salomon Lord.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Salomon Lord are great skis but for your time on snow I would go for the Tornado Ti good for a bit of everything and a little more forgiving than the lord.

Happy shopping
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC wrote:
I know you're not looking for a debate, but it really is worth emphasising (especially since you mentioned the price of the rented boot) - it's not just comfort, it's control and accuracy. Kind of like putting a Ferrari engine into a concrete mixer - doesn't matter how good the skis are if your boots aren't responsive enough.

Have a browse in the Equipment forum for the boot thread - you need the boots that fit your feet (they come in different shapes per brand), not high end ones. I'd rather ski on something I found in a dumpster with fitted boots than the top of the range ski and rental boots, especially in Fernie where there's difficult terrain.

Anyway, that aside, you'll find Scott Punishers easy to ski and capable, and I've heard good things about the Salomon Lord.

Thanks i really appreciate the advice alot from everyone.

Looks like i might rent the X-wing Tornado or Atomic Nomad and give in and buy some boots. Hoprefully get something not too expenisve!

Any other help welcomed Smile
ski holidays
sps89, if you want to get into a bit of "off piste" as you put it forget about the tornados, they will be twitchy and sink like the titanic.. the nomads will give you a bit more float and be more stable at speed without the tip hooking up all the time.
latest report
Sport Conrad have the Nomads for €230 with M11 bindings, have been looking at them lots Blush
snow report
On the skis front, I'd go for Neos out of the ones you've listed. Skied Aztec Pros during my holidays in Fernie last winter and Scott's springy flex is great in Fernie Pow snowHead
snow conditions
Ive decided on Salomon Lord skis.

Salomon say order them 10cm longer than you normally would but im thinking i might go for 175 rather than 185?

Any input, obviously 175 might be a little easieer but would a 185 be better in powder?
snow report
I'd go 185 for sure, given they have rocker and you're quite tall and heavy enough for them.

BTW, drop me a PM if you're planning on taking any lessons in Fernie Very Happy
snow report
DaveC wrote:
I'd go 185 for sure, given they have rocker and you're quite tall and heavy enough for them.

BTW, drop me a PM if you're planning on taking any lessons in Fernie Very Happy

Hey man, ive got 3 weeks of lessons already thanks!

Any local knowledge of Fernie you can give me? Where to eat or ski etc?

Thanks.
latest report
Worth a try Very Happy

You'll learn the mountain pretty fast with your instructor, but personally I like the old side (Elk/Bear) more than the new side (Timber/White Pass). As for eating, the hill is a little limited - Kelseys is nice for lunch, try the nachos at the Griz too. In town there's the place next to the Central (it was called Corner Pocket), and the Curry Bowl just off the highway is excellent, but otherwise my eating out is a bit limited as a poor seasonaire Smile
snow report
hey, be careful with the lord, seriously if you have a look at them in the shop they really dont have rocker! ive skiied them and they ski like a regular freeride ski so sizewise i wouldnt place too much emphasis on downsizing because salomon's cashing in on rocker tech!! defo go for the 185 if i was you. hey DaveC! my heart bleeds for you, a seasonaire in fernie!!!
ski holidays
DaveC, Keep up the instructor pimping, I assume you'll be busy between Xmas & NY but might drop by during a road trip currently in the planning.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy